Home Brewing Lager

farnie1993

Well me and a friend have got a kit, its our first time of home brewing and its in my house fermenting now....

I cant decide between buying a 5 gallon pressurizer or just using old bottles after sterilising and capping them.

I don't know what the differences, pros or cons are for each of them. Does one give it bubbles or is it more flat in another? I don't have a clue

you're american, you're 16 and you can't drink for another 5 years so you decide to make your own.

Bless those yanks.

im not american (H)

Well you still have to wait till you're 21 to drink ;)

Well me and a friend have got a kit, its our first time of home brewing and its in my house fermenting now....

I cant decide between buying a 5 gallon pressurizer or just using old bottles after sterilising and capping them.

I don't know what the differences, pros or cons are for each of them. Does one give it bubbles or is it more flat in another? I don't have a clue

My old man used to brew bitter from kits; he always just used a fermentation bin and bottles. I think the idea is that the last bit of fermentation happens in the bottle to give it a decent head, so you don't need to add anything. Might be different with lager which is fizzier.

My advice would be not to invest too much in buying stuff for it, until you've decided whether you enjoy it or not. It's never as good as bought beer and it becomes a pain in the arse to make after a while. Also home brew gives you a bigger kite, or it did with my dad anyway !

you're american, you're 16 and you can't drink for another 5 years so you decide to make your own.

Bless those yanks.

im not american (H)

Well you still have to wait till you're 21 to drink ;)

Swing and a miss ;)

Transferring it from the brewing bin to a barrel is easier than bottling, but the problem is keeping the gas inside the barrel. It escapes and the beer/lager goes flat unless you can get a perfect seal, which can be done, but more often than not you have to keep injecting some gas. A proper gas gun rather than the pellets from Boots is better value if you go down this road. These guns work like the sodastream things they sell in boots, and you will get one from a proper homebrew shop.

Unless you have a garage or clean shed, you also can't keep the barrel cool [or buy an old fridge and take out the shelves].

It's a good hobby, but you will probably get tired of it after a while, either with losing gas in the barrel or fannying around with bottles.

You need somewhere warm to keep the beer/lager while it ferments too. You can buy electric mats which keep the temparature constant and perfect.

To be honest, making home made wine is better because it keeps longer etc but I haven't bothered for years.

Transferring it from the brewing bin to a barrel is easier than bottling, but the problem is keeping the gas inside the barrel. It escapes and the beer/lager goes flat unless you can get a perfect seal, which can be done, but more often than not you have to keep injecting some gas. A proper gas gun rather than the pellets from Boots is better value if you go down this road. These guns work like the sodastream things they sell in boots, and you will get one from a proper homebrew shop.

Unless you have a garage or clean shed, you also can't keep the barrel cool [or buy an old fridge and take out the shelves].

It's a good hobby, but you will probably get tired of it after a while, either with losing gas in the barrel or fannying around with bottles.

You need somewhere warm to keep the beer/lager while it ferments too. You can buy electric mats which keep the temparature constant and perfect.

To be honest, making home made wine is better because it keeps longer etc but I haven't bothered for years.

think am gunna get one of them guns from boots like... i have a portable radiator so that is keeping the fermenting warm for now ;)

cheers ;)

think am gunna get one of them guns from boots like... i have a portable radiator so that is keeping the fermenting warm for now ;)

cheers ;)

the sodastreams from Boots are not for beer barrels. Either go to a homebrew shop, or get the small gas pellets from Boots.

cheers ;)

the sodastreams from Boots are not for beer barrels. Either go to a homebrew shop, or get the small gas pellets from Boots.

gas pellets it is :icon_lol:

cheers ;)

gas pellets it is :icon_lol:

ok, but they are shit and a rip off.