This Is England '86

Tooj

Seems to me the series is suffering in comparison to the film.

I don't think it's that good either.

I struggle to think of another UK TV drama I've enjoyed as much as I did episode one though. So on that score it deserves high praise.

I think comparisons between the two are inevitable like, don't you? ;)

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really enjoying this. It stumbles from farce to tragedy with no real apparent plot advancement, and is weighed down by some poor dialogue and mediocre acting. As has been said it's probably better than most the dramas out there, but that doesn't mean it's not disappointing considering how good the film was.

It's still not really capturing the feeling of the era either. For those that are interested, I'd recommend watching something actually made then. Three that spring to mind are Auf Wiedershen Pet (first one), Boys From the Black Stuff, and One Summer (largely forgotten Willy Russel series).

Slightly confused as to how, having not seen him for three years, a mortal drunk Combo could find Sean's house, when a couple of scenes earlier Sean said he'd recently moved house.

This narked me too :lol:

The rape scene was really grim mind.

that last episode was a bit on the bleak side. Lol is a fuck up, woody's a fuck up, they are all messed up. I think they've run out of ideas. the only saving grace is the psycho from the film arrived back and the finale will be very interesting. it mirrors the film a bit in that the first half is relatively happy (ish) and the second is bleak....

It seems like a film that they've dragged out to fill four hours. There's a lot of filler they could do without.

A film usually has a discernible plot though. Apparently they are thinking of keeping this series going with updates every 2 years or so. I don't see the point in bothering tbh.

It seems like a film that they've dragged out to fill four hours. There's a lot of filler they could do without.

A film usually has a discernible plot though. Apparently they are thinking of keeping this series going with updates every 2 years or so. I don't see the point in bothering tbh.

It'll keep that young lad in a job, hard to see him getting too many more gigs with a face and eyes like that.

You're proper outraged at this like. :lol:

Slightly confused as to how, having not seen him for three years, a mortal drunk Combo could find Sean's house, when a couple of scenes earlier Sean said he'd recently moved house.

I'm impressed how he got back from prohibition era Chicago.

I'm impressed how he got back from prohibition era Chicago.

:lol:

Only caught up with this the other day. Don't think it's great, and that episode was very unpleasant. Will still watch the rest to see how it ends though.

I thought 1-4 of this was brilliant.

Watched last night's too.. The final episode..

Everything has to kind of come full circle at the end & all, that's unfortunately the way it goes. But i thought it ended really well.

Yer man packin his bags in the house... Most nervewreckin scene i've seen since 'Rope'...

I really enjoyed it last night. I thought the first two were a bit weak (only relative to his films though) but the last two episodes were excellent. Agree with those who said there was a bit too much filler (early on anyway) but have to agree with HF when he said it was better than owt on telly recently (even in the first two). And last night was so tense, towards the end, like you say.

Better final episode, but overall really disappointing. Far too many loose ends, pointless subplots, and contrivances and highly variable acting. The redemption theme was predictable and half baked too.

In case anyone's wondering, I wasn't keen on this like.