Bellamy on way out at Man City

Kitman

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Watching Ian Rush struggling round Champions League pitches oh dear, and don't mention the cup final in 98 we played fuckin no one to get there.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harsh on Dalglish in my mind. He was the first manager of the PLC era and everyone compared his tenure with that of Keegan who managed whilst the club was in private ownership.

There was a reason KK left in 1997. He knew the rules were changing (and the credit limit was being reduced).

Harsh on Dalglish???? Open question to you, if Dalglish was manager of Liverpool, when they had come 2nd twice in a row, would he have signed Des Hamilton or Garry Brady?

Keegan signed the likes of Mike Jeffery and Jason Drysdale. They all sign shite players mate.

Dalglish was forced to sell Ferdinand and Asprilla by the board. Utter madness on their part.

Keegan signed Jeffrey as a 100k punt, same as Guppy and Drysdale for 250k, while we still establishing ourselves as a Premiership club, not competing as a Champions League club. I think it was entirely his choice to sell Tino, as for Ferdinand when Shearer got injured they tried to bring him back on the face of it trying to sell Ferdinand a 31 year old for £6m was good business, he wasn't forced to sell Tino, his replacement the shit Andersson was only £2m less than we got for Tino anyway so that dispells that myth.

Andersson cost £3m. They got £6m for Tino and he was sold by the board. They borrowed massively to buy Shearer and downpayments were required after 12 months and 18 months. The sale of Ferdinand and Asprilla accounted for it.

Shame really as Keegan went on record to say he'd bought Shearer to play alongside Les.

Harsh on Dalglish in my mind. He was the first manager of the PLC era and everyone compared his tenure with that of Keegan who managed whilst the club was in private ownership.

There was a reason KK left in 1997. He knew the rules were changing (and the credit limit was being reduced).

Harsh on Dalglish???? Open question to you, if Dalglish was manager of Liverpool, when they had come 2nd twice in a row, would he have signed Des Hamilton or Garry Brady?

and john barnes, ian rush, andreas andersson....

aye. Guivarc'h the list is endless. Worst thing to happen to our club KD appointment.

Worst thing to happen to this club was the floatation. FACT

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Keegan signed the likes of Mike Jeffery and Jason Drysdale. They all sign shite players mate.

Dalglish was forced to sell Ferdinand and Asprilla by the board. Utter madness on their part.

Keegan signed Jeffrey as a 100k punt, same as Guppy and Drysdale for 250k, while we still establishing ourselves as a Premiership club, not competing as a Champions League club. I think it was entirely his choice to sell Tino, as for Ferdinand when Shearer got injured they tried to bring him back on the face of it trying to sell Ferdinand a 31 year old for £6m was good business, he wasn't forced to sell Tino, his replacement the shit Andersson was only £2m less than we got for Tino anyway so that dispells that myth.

Andersson cost £3m. They got £6m for Tino and he was sold by the board. They borrowed massively to buy Shearer and downpayments were required after 12 months and 18 months. The sale of Ferdinand and Asprilla accounted for it.

Shame really as Keegan went on record to say he'd bought Shearer to play alongside Les.

Andersson cost £3.4m being pedantic about it, and prove it's fact that Tino was sold by the board without Dalglish's consent. Dalglish wanted rid it was so obvious. Even the season we came 2nd under him Tino was largely on the bench, and we ended spending a lot that season than we got in so that goes further to dispell that ridiculous myth. Speed alone cost £5.5m.

Who said it was without Dalglish's knowledge? Keegan made it adundantly clear that he wouldn't work under the circumstances that the board wanted which was why he resigned. The made sure that his replacement would 'play along' before they put a contract before him.

The season we finished 2nd we still had Ferdinand who, alongside Shearer was naturally first choice.

True Dalglish's spend was almost double his incomings but it was periodic downpayments which were the important factor to note. The bank were demanding a serious amount of cash in the summer of 1997 and winter of 97/98. Ferdinand and Asprilla were sacrificed for it.

You only have to read Keegan's autobiography to know this. Keegan himself was pressurised to sell in the winter of 96/97 and commented that the only offer he had on the table was from Sunderland for Lee Clark (which happened anyway the following summer).

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Who said it was without Dalglish's knowledge? Keegan made it adundantly clear that he wouldn't work under the circumstances that the board wanted which was why he resigned. The made sure that his replacement would 'play along' before they put a contract before him.

The season we finished 2nd we still had Ferdinand who, alongside Shearer was naturally first choice.

True Dalglish's spend was almost double his incomings but it was periodic downpayments which were the important factor to note. The bank were demanding a serious amount of cash in the summer of 1997 and winter of 97/98. Ferdinand and Asprilla were sacrificed for it.

You only have to read Keegan's autobiography to know this. Keegan himself was pressurised to sell in the winter of 96/97 and commented that the only offer he had on the table was from Sunderland for Lee Clark (which happened anyway the following summer).

If that was a fundamental factor above everything else, why did they try to stop the Spurs deal going through when Shearer got injured. Tino's sale was to do with nothing more than trying to fund deals for the likes of Gary Speed suggesting anything else is rewriting history.

Who were KD's best sigings?

Top of my head all I can think of are Hamann and Shay.

Ketsbaia, ran around a lot but did basically nothing. But he was mental so we loved him. Speed Nobody wanted him here at first as he looked finished., DabizasGot turned easily, sometimes caught ballwatching. Got mostly away with it because he scored against the mackems, Solano as well.

Bits in bold. Can't argue with Shay, Didi and nobby though.

If that was a fundamental factor above everything else, why did they try to stop the Spurs deal going through when Shearer got injured. Tino's sale was to do with nothing more than trying to fund deals for the likes of Gary Speed suggesting anything else is rewriting history.

They tried to stop the sale because it became abundantly clear that Ferdinand leaving was a massive fuck-up from the footballing side of things.

Tino's sale was exactly what I said it was - not re-writing history. Your opinion is different

Ketsbaia, Speed, Dabizas, Solano as well.

All very good signings.

solano was. speed turned out to be. not sure about the other two

Ketsbaia, ran around a lot but did basically nothing. But he was mental so we loved him. Speed Nobody wanted him here at first as he looked finished., DabizasGot turned easily, sometimes caught ballwatching. Got mostly away with it because he scored against the mackems, Solano as well.

Speed and Dabizas served this club well for the majority of Robson's reign. They may not have been on the scale of some of Keegan's signings but in retrospect they were both good signings for the club.

Like I said before, the floatation fucked this club up.

Speed and Dabizas served this club well for the majority of Robson's reign. They may not have been on the scale of some of Keegan's signings but in retrospect they were both good signings for the club.

I agree in part but where some tinkering was required Dalglish went about it with a sledgehammer. He was unlucky with Shearer's injury too, admittedly. And while players like Speed did turn out to be good signings I think KD would've played him, Lee and Batty. Speed only flourised when Batty left. I don't hate him in the way I do Souness but he did a lot of damage imo.

I agree in part but where some tinkering was required Dalglish went about it with a sledgehammer. He was unlucky with Shearer's injury too, admittedly. And while players like Speed did turn out to be good signings I think KD would've played him, Lee and Batty. Speed only flourised when Batty left. I don't hate him in the way I do Souness but he did a lot of damage imo.

Aye I think you've got a good point there. He certainly wasn't as bad as Souness put it that way.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

They tried to stop the sale because it became abundantly clear that Ferdinand leaving was a massive fuck-up from the footballing side of things.

Tino's sale was exactly what I said it was - not re-writing history. Your opinion is different

It's not an opinion it's fact. We signed Speed circa Feb/March for more or less the same fee we got for Tino, plus Andersson on top of that, suggesting it was anything other than a money making exercise to get his own players in is just wrong.

Dalglish didn't rate Ferdinand. If he'd wanted to keep him he could've done. It's not like Dalglish wasn't subsequently given money to spend.

It's not an opinion it's fact. We signed Speed circa Feb/March for more or less the same fee we got for Tino, plus Andersson on top of that, suggesting it was anything other than a money making exercise to get his own players in is just wrong.

It is opinion.

It's fact that the bank was demanding a huge down payment which just happened to co-incide with Asprilla being sold. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what went on.

Suggesting I'm 'wrong' because what I've said doesn't fit in with your pre-conceived opinions of Dalglish is a tad arrogant.

Whilst I think Speed became a good player for the club I remember when he signed and he didn't play all that well at first. It was Gullit that got him and Barton up to scratch imo.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

It is opinion.

It's fact that the bank was demanding a huge down payment which just happened to co-incide with Asprilla being sold. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what went on.

Suggesting I'm 'wrong' because what I've said doesn't fit in with your pre-conceived opinions of Dalglish is a tad arrogant.

Read up about 10 posts. The irony. "Fact".

Whilst I think Speed became a good player for the club I remember when he signed and he didn't play all that well at first. It was Gullit that got him and Barton up to scratch imo.

I think he was Ginola's replacement (in KD's eyes, that is). He hadn't been a LW for years.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

I think he was Ginola's replacement (in KD's eyes, that is). He hadn't been a LW for years.

Sadly that was Garry Brady. Dalglish the anti-christ.

The Asprilla thing - my mate's dad worked at Barclays at the time and was well aware of the loan we had in place for the Shearer deal. Basically Hall mortgaged us to the heavens and the terms were fucking harsh - it had to be repaid within 12 months!

The bank wanted a £10m repayment by Christmas 1996 with the balance paid by the end of July 1997 but the impending floatation combined with the Keegan departure issues bought us some time. 6 months to be exact.

In the summer of 97 we sold Ferdinand for £6m and Clark and Ginola for £2.5m each which covered the £10m inital down payment. Selling Asprilla the following January (6 months later) covered the balance plus the interest.

As I've said earlier, Keegan's autobiography touches on this and he alludes to the severity of the replayments.

The Asprilla thing - my mate's dad worked at Barclays at the time and was well aware of the loan we had in place for the Shearer deal. Basically Hall mortgaged us to the heavens and the terms were fucking harsh - it had to be repaid within 12 months!

The bank wanted a £10m repayment by Christmas 1996 with the balance paid by the end of July 1997 but the impending floatation combined with the Keegan departure issues bought us some time. 6 months to be exact.

In the summer of 97 we sold Ferdinand for £6m and Clark and Ginola for £2.5m each which covered the £10m inital down payment. Selling Asprilla the following January (6 months later) covered the balance plus the interest.

As I've said earlier, Keegan's autobiography touches on this and he alludes to the severity of the replayments.

That's fair enough. The point is though that those were players he didn't particularly rate either. There were also players who came in that summer: Tomasson, Pistone, Ketsbaia. Can't remember who else off the top of my head. He made some bad decisions, basically - even if his hand was forced somewhat.