I'm Back

Kevin

Kevin are you good at anything other than maths? because... well, as has been said, it might be that computer sciences aren't for you if you are getting C's and not "safely" getting B's

I got a B at maths and I'm shit at it (ask Matt) , not showing off, I probably just got lucky with the exams or whatever, but I'm truly bad at maths and got that B... so perhaps you should concentrate on something else?

Jee whizz, thanks Dave :icon_lol:

I'm good at Computers, enjoy computers. hence, Computer Science ;)

Add a pressured working environment when you're expected to produce something yesterday and see if you're still 'good at it'.

Doing something in your own time at your own pace is a completely different kettle of fish to actually doing it for a career. The politics is absolutely murderous.

You mean a bit like school Craig? Maybe not back in your day, but here in my day we need to produce work in school each day.

No Kevin, fuck all like school. At school the product is your own education - you screw up and the only person who suffers is yourself. In work the product is whatever your company produces - fuck up there and you're costing your employers money. You're also just a small piece in a massive jigsaw puzzle and you'll be expected to fit in around others - hence the politics comment.

If I had my time again I'd think seriously about not following a career in something I actually enjoy.

If your work involves a hobbie then you never have to work a day in your life.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin are you good at anything other than maths? because... well, as has been said, it might be that computer sciences aren't for you if you are getting C's and not "safely" getting B's

I got a B at maths and I'm shit at it (ask Matt) , not showing off, I probably just got lucky with the exams or whatever, but I'm truly bad at maths and got that B... so perhaps you should concentrate on something else?

Jee whizz, thanks Dave ;)

I'm good at Computers, enjoy computers. hence, Computer Science :D

Add a pressured working environment when you're expected to produce something yesterday and see if you're still 'good at it'.

Doing something in your own time at your own pace is a completely different kettle of fish to actually doing it for a career. The politics is absolutely murderous.

It's alright Craig hes doing comp science, so he's heading for the Helldesk/Quality and Testing end of things. ;) no pressure or talent required, just follow this sheet of instructions and note down what happens.

Aye but he'll be one of them know-it-all mavericks who think they know better, fuck it all up and then come knocking asking us to fix it for him. We have several of those retards in our place - each one who believes they're ready to progress! Like fuck man! :icon_lol:

Jee whizz, thanks Dave ;)

I'm good at Computers, enjoy computers. hence, Computer Science ;)

You mean a bit like school Craig? Maybe not back in your day, but here in my day we need to produce work in school each day.

No Kevin, fuck all like school. At school the product is your own education - you screw up and the only person who suffers is yourself. In work the product is whatever your company produces - fuck up there and you're costing your employers money. You're also just a small piece in a massive jigsaw puzzle and you'll be expected to fit in around others - hence the politics comment.

If I had my time again I'd think seriously about not following a career in something I actually enjoy.

If your work involves a hobbie then you never have to work a day in your life.

Oh you have so much to learn....... :icon_lol:

Basically Kevin, you have to be really good at the thing you enjoy to get a career out of it, otherwise you'll end up unemployed or frustrated and bitter, and stuck in a deadend. For example, I like playing the gituar, but I'm never going to aim to do any gigs as I'm utterly shit, and I'll be in a cardboard box if I 'followed my dream'. 98% of people end up in jobs that they find shit to OK, and see it as a way to pay the bills.

So be careful when setting out for a career.

Fuck this shit i'll be a stripper.

I really don't want to work in a 9-5 job, i don't want to go to uni yet. I still feel too young. I don't want to turn into a boring 9-5 adult :icon_lol:

I really don't want to work in a 9-5 job, i don't want to go to uni yet. I still feel too young. I don't want to turn into a boring 9-5 adult :icon_lol:

Go on a gap year kid. I know it's cliché, but you'll grow up a lot and have a broader reflection on the world in which you live. Plus you'll get to meet interesting girls all over the world and finger them behind unusual bins.

In all seriousness, cane the job and save as much as you can, then bugger off to South America with a backpack and an open mind. ;)

come back, go to a decent uni, study a course that is interesting enough to keep you keen, but also gives you a grounding in a career.

After 3-4 years of Uni, (where 1-2 years will be dossing about and being zany) take a year or so of shitty bar jobs or whatever until you sort out a decent starter level job and then begin to climb the ladder.

Find a bird willing to bear your seed and create two little progeny.

go on occasional holidays, stay in touch with uni mates, hope your kids don't turn to drugs or promiscuity like you did, then retire as soon as possible and take your now haggard missus somewhere in the country and grow old together.

sorted ;)

Go on a gap year kid. I know it's cliché, but you'll grow up a lot and have a broader reflection on the world in which you live. Plus you'll get to meet interesting girls all over the world and finger them behind unusual bins.

In all seriousness, cane the job and save as much as you can, then bugger off to South America with a backpack and an open mind. ;)

come back, go to a decent uni, study a course that is interesting enough to keep you keen, but also gives you a grounding in a career.

After 3-4 years of Uni, (where 1-2 years will be dossing about and being zany) take a year or so of shitty bar jobs or whatever until you sort out a decent starter level job and then begin to climb the ladder.

go on occasional holidays, stay in touch with uni mates, hope your kids don't turn to drugs or promiscuity like you did, then retire as soon as possible and take your now haggard missus somewhere in the country and grow old together.

sorted ;)

wear sunscreen

Dance.

sorted ;)

Why do Stoodents that haven't even been to the lakes have to go to South America for a broader reflection of the world?

I think it's the sun.

sorted ;)

Have you actually followed any of your own advice?

I think he's done some bar work.

Serious advice Kev for once: Just because you like going on the computer doesn't mean you're suited for a career in computing and I'd think long and hard about committing yourself to something as boring as IT in any case.

i always wanted to be a programmer, now I am one, and it's nothing like making games for Nintendo as i'd imagined when i was 10.

There's plenty of work in games development.....only problem is the pay is utter shite .

I really don't want to work in a 9-5 job, i don't want to go to uni yet. I still feel too young. I don't want to turn into a boring 9-5 adult ;)

sorted :D

Why do Stoodents that haven't even been to the lakes have to go to South America for a broader reflection of the world?

I think it's the sun.

Or the trannies you apparently see on the beach in Rio. That would broaden your mind a bit, and possibly something else if you had too many cocktails :icon_lol:.

Or the trannies you apparently see on the beach in Rio. That would broaden your mind a bit, and possibly something else if you had too many cocktails ;).

:icon_lol:

I've no argument that travel can broaden the mind, but anyone I've spoken to that took a year to travel seems to have spent the time bungee jumping, kayaking and getting pissed up with other westerners.

Which is brilliant by the way. I wish I could have afforded to do it myself. Nowt to do with enhancing career prospects though.

I really don't want to work in a 9-5 job, i don't want to go to uni yet. I still feel too young. I don't want to turn into a boring 9-5 adult ;)

sorted :D

I don't like travelling or the idea of a gap year. The rest of that sounds quality but :icon_lol:

I plan on saving everything from McDonalds. I don't drink, go out to bars etc. I'd only go out in the friends' cars and probably spend a few pound a week. So I have no need to spend money.

I don't drink, go out to bars etc. I'd only go out in the friends' cars

... you're a lost cause. Kill yourself now.

I don't like travelling or the idea of a gap year. The rest of that sounds quality but :icon_lol:

You don't like travelling? Have you tried it?

I don't like the idea of travelling*

Being in a random country myself, knowing nobody, having limited money etc.

You don't drink? So what was the 20 cans of cider, bottle of shit vodka, peach schnapps etc... bollocks?

No. I'm not a regular drinker. I wouldn't say "I'm going out to drink". I'd drink on ocassions or if i was doing something - like Oxegen and next saturday for my friends 18th.