Royal family cost you 62p last year

Happy Face

but at the end of the day its his land and he can do what he wants with it...unless you're suggesting some sort of 21st century peasants revolt down here? :o

"By theft and murder they stole the land, now everywhere the walls spring up at their command".

I'd confiscate all land owned by families for more than 3 generations. Of course I'd also confiscate all church land as well.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but at the end of the day its his land and he can do what he wants with it...unless you're suggesting some sort of 21st century peasants revolt down here? :D

"By theft and murder they stole the land, now everywhere the walls spring up at their command".

I'd confiscate all land owned by families for more than 3 generations. Of course I'd also confiscate all church land as well.

Who are you like?...Henry VIII's ghost? :angry:

And you're not having my Nans cottage either :o

but at the end of the day its his land and he can do what he wants with it...unless you're suggesting some sort of 21st century peasants revolt down here? :D

Who are you like?...Henry VIII's ghost? :angry:

And you're not having my Nans cottage either :o

:angry:

Would you abolish the aristocracy in general Billy?.....Poundbury is on Duchy of Cornwall land, and he's the Duke of Cornwall...and Prince of Wales, and Lord of the Isles...if you're not a monarchist and a Celt in the UK I imagine you're pretty hacked off with him :D

I live a 20 min drive from Dorch/Poundbury and it certainly divides opinion...but at the end of the day its his land and he can do what he wants with it...unless you're suggesting some sort of 21st century peasants revolt down here? :o

In the sense that his land and titles are taken away, then yes. Seeing that prick pontificate about the envirnonment whilst going everywhere in a turbo charged jag or helicopter, and not letting Poundbury residents have solar panels on their homes is very annoying. He can stick his over priced organic carrots up his arse. I would abolish the Lords, and replace it with an elected second chamber too. They can keep the fancy houses, as it will eventually ruin them all, and The National Trust or English Heritage will run them anyway. The latter being largely funded by the state anyway.

I don't know anyone in Dorset who likes Charlie's personal council estate.

Would you abolish the aristocracy in general Billy?.....Poundbury is on Duchy of Cornwall land, and he's the Duke of Cornwall...and Prince of Wales, and Lord of the Isles...if you're not a monarchist and a Celt in the UK I imagine you're pretty hacked off with him :angry:

I live a 20 min drive from Dorch/Poundbury and it certainly divides opinion...but at the end of the day its his land and he can do what he wants with it...unless you're suggesting some sort of 21st century peasants revolt down here? :D

In the sense that his land and titles are taken away, then yes. Seeing that prick pontificate about the envirnonment whilst going everywhere in a turbo charged jag or helicopter, and not letting Poundbury residents have solar panels on their homes is very annoying. He can stick his over priced organic carrots up his arse. I would abolish the Lords, and replace it with an elected second chamber too. They can keep the fancy houses, as it will eventually ruin them all, and The National Trust or English Heritage will run them anyway. The latter being largely funded by the state anyway.

Eats tofu as well. :o

Would you abolish the aristocracy in general Billy?.....Poundbury is on Duchy of Cornwall land, and he's the Duke of Cornwall...and Prince of Wales, and Lord of the Isles...if you're not a monarchist and a Celt in the UK I imagine you're pretty hacked off with him :angry:

I live a 20 min drive from Dorch/Poundbury and it certainly divides opinion...but at the end of the day its his land and he can do what he wants with it...unless you're suggesting some sort of 21st century peasants revolt down here? :o

My ex did...she runs the farm shop there. And she was keen on moving there too. And she'd met him at least 3 times, and she said he was "inspiring"....you'd get on well with her :angry:

His lands and titles were nicked from those who had nicked them from others...what do you suggest?..nationalise the Isle of Skye, The Eden Centre and Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch? :D

There's no real reason for them to cost the taxpayer anything given the amount of land and property they have.

Precisely.

My ex did...she runs the farm shop there. And she was keen on moving there too. And she'd met him at least 3 times, and she said he was "inspiring"....you'd get on well with her :angry:

His lands and titles were nicked from those who had nicked them from others...what do you suggest?..nationalise the Isle of Skye, The Eden Centre and Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch? :D

I suggest we give them all nice detatched houses, help them train for a proper job, and then treat them like normal people. The big palaces and castles can be handed over to the state, and the lands can be given to local councils for them to either sell off or whatever. As for your ex, was she the kind of silly person who wanted to move there because it had royal connections, and felt the need to gain 'status'?

The one good thing he did do was the Prince's Trust, which has done some good charity work. Ad giving Prince William the bald gene.

My ex did...she runs the farm shop there. And she was keen on moving there too. And she'd met him at least 3 times, and she said he was "inspiring"....you'd get on well with her :mellow:

I suggest we give them all nice detatched houses, help them train for a proper job, and then treat them like normal people. The big palaces and castles can be handed over to the state, and the lands can be given to local councils for them to either sell off or whatever. As for your ex, was she the kind of silly person who wanted to move there because it had royal connections, and felt the need to gain 'status'?

The one good thing he did do was the Prince's Trust, which has done some good charity work. Ad giving Prince William the bald gene.

No she's big in "local produce providers" and shared his passion for all things organic.....it wasn't that she was impressed by him as such, she just shared his drippy hippy beleifs. And its all personal choice...you dont have to move to Poundbury or buy his Duchy original sausages...he's mainly harmless as far as I can see, just a daft old git. There used to be hundreds of thousands of forelock tugging yokels working on estates all over the country and very happy they were too. The ones that are left seem that way as well....its not really much different to working for anyone else...be polite to the big boss etc...I'd draw the line at using "your grace" or whatever they expect to be termed mind, cheeky bastards still think its the fuckin middle ages in that regard :D

What night is your local communist party meeting then? :angry:

A royal family is part of our history and heritage. I'd rather have the queen at the top of the hierarchy representing us than someone like David Cameron. Politicians don't get enough respect from us as a general public. Especially when compared to someone like an American president.

I've never understood why in a modern day democratic society we need a family who are deemed better than everyone one else, who want for northing whilst everyone else pays. They may have some use but I'm not exactly clued up on what they do. What are peoples opinions?

Get them tae fuck [/Celtic fans] and I agree. Waste of time, we could get rid of them and still maintain our heritage. Monarchy's aren't condusive to the modern world. In the days of Queen Victoria she would just override parliament, the Queen's real power today is no more than Keith Chegwin's. Fuck them off. Sell Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle to some rich Asians, clear the countries debt, Bobs your uncle. Make Prince Phillip live in Brixton.

Did she really?

No

A cost-benefit appraisal of the Royal family would include income from Tourism. 62p is a direct cost per person, you'd have to balance that with the direct and indirect benefits to the country.

Probably worth the money from a purely economical perspective (ignoring the politics and the principles obviously).

A cost-benefit appraisal of the Royal family would include income from Tourism. 62p is a direct cost per person, you'd have to balance that with the direct and indirect benefits to the country.

Probably worth the money from a purely economical perspective (ignoring the politics and the principles obviously).

Would that include the question of whether the tourists would come if it was abolished though?

It's often quoted (and may not still be true admittedly) that the biggest tourist attraction in Europe is The Palace of Versailles so its a question worth asking.

Guest alex

Would that include the question of whether the tourists would come if it was abolished though?

It's often quoted (and may not still be true admittedly) that the biggest tourist attraction in Europe is The Palace of Versailles so its a question worth asking.

There was a huge bloody queue when I went anyway.

Hard to judge that one but i think you can definitely argue that you get additional tourism from them. In which case the direct cost per person is much less than 62p.

That benefit does mainly accrue to London based hoteliers, retailers and tat-shop owners though.

The renovation of just the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles cost 16m euros btw and it was paid for by Vinci, not the state bizarrely enough.

In comparison to Trident, I'd say they're excellent value for money. I mean we've not even used Trident once in all the years we've had it. We could at least have fired one at Buenos Aires if we serious about getting some use out of them.

In comparison to Trident, I'd say they're excellent value for money. I mean we've not even used Trident once in all the years we've had it. We could at least have fired one at Buenos Aires if we serious about getting some use out of them.

Shoot Edward and Andrew circus-style out of a canon you mean?

Shoot Edward and Andrew circus-style out of a canon you mean?

:o Now there's an image. Which canon did you have in mind, the Archbishop of Canterbury?

Hard to judge that one but i think you can definitely argue that you get additional tourism from them. In which case the direct cost per person is much less than 62p.

That benefit does mainly accrue to London based hoteliers, retailers and tat-shop owners though.

The renovation of just the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles cost 16m euros btw and it was paid for by Vinci, not the state bizarrely enough.

I didn't realise tourists got to meet the queen. I had to make do with a tea towel with a picture of her house. :(

I agree completely with Billy Castell and NJS on this one. The economic benefits are dubious at best but are a red herring anyway, a bit like wanting to introduce the derath penalty because its cheaper. The whole concept of royalty is utterly wrong and out of place in the 21st century in the UK.

As for Charles, word cannot express how much I despise that thick, inbred, jug-eared cunt. Fortunately I can see him bringing down the monarchy in time.