England v Germany

Park Life

I heard somewhere that Germany had only missed 1 WC penalty since 1982? Including shootouts. And obviously they've played about 50% more WC games than us over the same period. ;)

Don't even bother picking penalty takers tbh, this is over if it goes that far. We need to do them in 90.

Aye and it was Podolski last week that missed it. The cracks are starting to show.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard somewhere that Germany had only missed 1 WC penalty since 1982? Including shootouts. And obviously they've played about 50% more WC games than us over the same period. ;)

Don't even bother picking penalty takers tbh, this is over if it goes that far. We need to do them in 90.

Aye and it was Podolski last week that missed it. The cracks are starting to show.

:icon_lol:

That'll be where I heard it then. :)

Still one every 28 years aint bad.

:icon_lol:

Think england will beat the germans tbh, then get Argentina and get hammered ;)

Not getting hammered but going out to them in a close game having beaten the Germans would be a very decent world cup for me.

Let's not kid ourselves here. The group performance as a whole was poor (you can make a case Germany haven't really shone either), against sides (maybe not the Usa) that we would normally tonk and have done in qualifying. Something is eating at the heart of this team and I think it is partly belief and partly niggles and irritation from being out of their PL comfort zone playing sides week in week out they roll over and sides that fear them. WC's are notoriously different as NZ and Aus are showing, players who's career highlight is a WC play out of their skins and fear and whatnot doesn't even enter their minds (plus they have nothing to lose).

With England the pressure starts months before the WC with massive and often unfounded expectaiton and jingoism in the polular press (it is essentially a branding and markerting junket these days as well as product placement) and the players get sucked into all this, which in its peculiar way also sucks the mental and rational strenght from their minds. Players earning over 100,000 a week have massive ego's and winning which has become a ritual to them all goes out the window in the first WC game when the players from WBA and Dakota Lions start to out run them and out think them, it comes as a massive shock to that pampered ego and worse, thoughts of failure come to the forefront, normally very good players wilt and the fear of failure becomes greater than the will to do well.

Under normal circumstances players should become introspective and get some analysis on these mind blowing early encounters (we have a psychologist there right), but the big ego doesn't work like that and starts to look for exterior culprits (the manager, the formation, he's not friendly enough, no beer, too much golf, sitting in rooms too long, can't take me mobile to dinner, no flip flops, why to I have to play there...the list becomes endless...). In short they have forgotten what made them succsessful in the first place, the early years of struggle and scant reward, the building blocks of improvement, the desire to do better, essentially the foundation like rock of taking responsability.

Five times Rooney lost the ball yesterday and with the player only a few yards away didn't chase back.

Stop talking about penalties for fuck sake ;)

We'll beat them in 90 minutes and everyone will pipe down. All he needs to do is put clippings up on the dressing room wall about what that iron haired Bavarian cunt has said about us, team talk done, famous 3-1 England win, finger to lips time.

that'd be nice. i reckon if the true england team turn up that we all know (though do not love), we could win. reckon this one will be very attritional. if we win in 90 i reckon we could kick on.... if we don't we will lose horrendously at penalties.

It's the best thing that could have happened to England iyam. And I am not trying to use Parky's reversed logic here. It's what I told English friends already before yesterday.

I pretty sure that England will win the game and I guess you will win it quite comfortably. It's not only that (at least) on paper you have the better players, they will also be for once totally motivated for this game. You only have to look at some comments here and the rhetoric in the press to see how much this game means to England - at least far more than it means to German people and the team. Add to it Beckenbauer's comments who were light hearted but only good for motivating the opposition. It's a shame that unfortunately there are still some people in England to take him serious because here in Germany he is well known for talking rubbish and changing his opinion even more often than Craig is posting old jokes. You can bet he'll be waxing lyrical about England and English football after the game.

I'd rather played USA and actually hoped that Ghana would score a late equalizer just to see us avoid England. Unfortunately not. At least this game will make the day for all the little Englanders like Stevie.

We might have a decent young team that is capable of playing good football with the necessary confidence. It's ok for playing the likes of Australia and Ghana, it would also have been ok for Serbia if not for Klose's stupidity and if Podolski would have more than the IQ of a slater...

It's the best thing that could have happened to England iyam. And I am not trying to use Parky's reversed logic here. It's what I told English friends already before yesterday.

I pretty sure that England will win the game and I guess you will win it quite comfortably. It's not only that (at least) on paper you have the better players, they will also be for once totally motivated for this game. You only have to look at some comments here and the rhetoric in the press to see how much this game means to England - at least far more than it means to German people and the team. Add to it Beckenbauer's comments who were light hearted but only good for motivating the opposition. It's a shame that unfortunately there are still some people in England to take him serious because here in Germany he is well known for talking rubbish and changing his opinion even more often than Craig is posting old jokes. You can bet he'll be waxing lyrical about England and English football after the game.

I'd rather played USA and actually hoped that Ghana would score a late equalizer just to see us avoid England. Unfortunately not. At least this game will make the day for all the little Englanders like Stevie.

We might have a decent young team that is capable of playing good football with the necessary confidence. It's ok for playing the likes of Australia and Ghana, it would also have been ok for Serbia if not for Klose's stupidity and if Podolski would have more than the IQ of a slater...

;)

Great bit of needle there, Wolfy! Like it. Bring on the game tbh. :icon_lol:

Guest The Three Lions

We need a ref from a country where they don't hate England. So lets hope for a yank ref then eh?

I think Isegrim raises good points, but I'm not as nervous about the game, or care about it cos it's Germany anymore than normal. It's an arrogant attitude from people like "Kleensee" saying we care more about it cos it's the krauts than they do, we're easily their first or second biggest rivals, they probably hate Holland more, but England v Germany is the classic international game, regardless how shit the teams are. The most important country in Europe v The most populated country in Europe. It's a big big game, as big as Argentina v Brazil imo, if not bigger.

England have two games against countries we consider our biggest rivals, Germany then Argentina, I'd hand on heart rather have those two games for the very motivational factor Isegrim has mentioned than say Japan then Chile. This could work out nicely for us this, I'm not convinced Spain will win their group, which would leave things a lot better if we can sneak past the next two, which to be fair I rate our chances at 1 in 3 of doing so. Look at it like this (no one counts 1986), Germany have never beaten us in 90 minutes in WC Finals and neither have Argentina. Whatever happens we won't lose 2-0 or 3-1, they'll be two close games, if we have some luck we'll get through, if we don't we'll come home, but it will be no disgrace losing to either. The Argentina game, that centre half could quite easily gift us the game, he's been shit for Bayern when I've seen him too.

It's a real shame we are playin each other so early, these are the two sides that have the mental strength and intelligence to upset the South American sides in the latter stages of the tournament. I appreciate your comments, but still think Germany will win....

It's a real shame we are playin each other so early, these are the two sides that have the mental strength and intelligence to upset the South American sides in the latter stages of the tournament. I appreciate your comments, but still think Germany will win....

Well the one side at least. ;)

Guest The Three Lions

I'm sticking my neck out and saying we'll win 3-1. The last time we played them our reserves utterly dominated in Berlin against them. I think the real England will stand up, I really do.

I'm sticking my neck out and saying we'll win 3-1. The last time we played them our reserves utterly dominated in Berlin against them. I think the real England will stand up, I really do.

Kin hope so, or it's going to be hell watching the rest of the tournament here. ;)

Guest The Three Lions

Kin hope so, or it's going to be hell watching the rest of the tournament here. ;)

When have they ever beaten us in 90 minutes? Penalties could be the killer, it's such a horrible thought that there's a good chance it'll happen again. I'm convinced we won't lose to them 100%, I'm just worried about pens. Podolski can only take one :icon_lol:

Guest The Three Lions
We practice pens now though. ;) Also isn't James a bit of a pen stopper??

I can still see that robot cunt Moller right now, same hair cut all his life, I bet he counts the number of pumps every time he shagged his wife, we all knew, we just knew that stone cold cunt was going to score, it's their don't give a fuck mentality. I bet the German press are no where near as emotive as ours, and clearly German people are no where near as emotional as we are, the one aspect in life we are better than them is our humanity.

I can still see that robot cunt Moller right now, same hair cut all his life, I bet he counts the number of pumps every time he shagged his wife, we all knew, we just knew that stone cold cunt was going to score, it's their don't give a fuck mentality. I bet the German press are no where near as emotive as ours, and clearly German people are no where near as emotional as we are, the one aspect in life we are better than them is our humanity.

There is a distinct cold side to a lot of Germans, its the way they are brought up really. I've managed to humanise Mrs P over the years. :icon_lol: Their biggest asset is their pitch intelligence they have a very calculating tendancy to spot where the opp are misfiring.

Schweinstieger only 50-50 for Sun.

The debate here is whether Cacau or Klose should start.

Their biggest weakness is the left back spot and the relatively inexperienced midfield.

We need some good things to happen early to settle the side down, a lucky bounce for Rooney or a run and a shot on target. What we don't need are rash challenges and early yellows cause that will put doubt in the collective mind.

Edited by Park Life

There is a distinct cold side to a lot of Germans, its the way they are brought up really. I've managed to humanise Mrs P over the years. :icon_lol: Their biggest asset is their pitch intelligence they have a very calculating tendancy to spot where the opp are misfiring.

Schweinstieger only 50-50 for Sun.

The debate here is whether Cacau or Klose should start.

Their biggest weakness is the left back spot and the relatively inexperienced midfield.

We need some good things to happen early to settle the side down, a lucky bounce for Rooney or a run and a shot on target. What we don't need are rash challenges and early yellows cause that will put doubt in the collective mind.

really hope he doesnt play, hes such a good player