$1 trillion in mineral deposits discovered in Afghanistan

spongebob toonpants

WASHINGTON — The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan war itself, according to senior American government officials.

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and BlackBerrys.

full article here

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/world/as...als.html?emc=na

Dick Cheney had representitives from the Taliban in his office at Haliburton over 10 years ago about this stuff....old news tbh :lol:

Tru Dat.

Lithium and gold are things very useful for shielding, missiles, and satellite/comp tech. Of course gold is always good.

Discovered?

Or an old USGS report on potential that has been hyped???

The Beeb:-

"The details of a US Geological Service survey of the country were released in 2007. The US assessment of the worth of the deposits was completed in December last yea

They not only don't have the infrastructure - road, rail and water - but they don't have basic laws and regulations that will attract investment

Stephanie Sanok CSIS

The trillion dollar calculation was reported in the New York Times on 14 June. The BBC's Jill McGivering says that at a time of growing despair about Afghanistan and its government, the portrayal of the country as a potential goldmine could help to bolster international resolve and paint the country as a prize worth fighting for. "

Afghanistan is NEVER worth fighting for.............

Dick Cheney had representitives from the Taliban in his office at Haliburton over 10 years ago about this stuff....old news tbh :)

Didn't Dubya have them at his ranch at some point too? Hallegedly, hallegedly.

Dick Cheney had representitives from the Taliban in his office at Haliburton over 10 years ago about this stuff....old news tbh :)

Didn't Dubya have them at his ranch at some point too? Hallegedly, hallegedly.

Yeah. All steak and chipped up.

However, I thought it was about a pipeline through Afghanistan to access the gas in Tajikistan, Turkmenistan etc. rather than it being about any mineral deposits in the country itself.

However, I thought it was about a pipeline through Afghanistan to access the gas in Tajikistan, Turkmenistan etc. rather than it being about any mineral deposits in the country itself.

The Bush one was the pipeline chat. Karzai was installed as he was an ex-oil man as well.

Aye, from what I have seen/read I thought it was the pipeline rather than natural resources. Does anyone know what type of resources found? Cant read the article from where I'm browsing.

Strange how these vast deposits of minerals always end up in unstable areas full of bandits, or ruled by vicious dictators, and not somewhere like..............Dorset or Belgium.

Because the coal deposits etc. in places like that were discovered ages ago :)

Maybe not Iraq, as they'd be surrounded by the septics, with Iran, Qatar, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia all nearby. It would be harder to attack Israel for a laugh.

What they'd really want is for Korea to go pear shaped, and have a massive war, thus removing a lot of US soldiers from that area.

Edited by Billy Castell

Maybe not Iraq, as they'd be surrounded by the septics, with Iran, Qatar, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia all nearby. It would be harder to attack Israel for a laugh.

What they'd really want is for Korea to go pear shaped, and have a massive war, thus removing a lot of US soldiers from that area.

...the Syria and Iran attack...

....Saudi Arabia dismantling what's left of the American oil befudled economy. Assymetric my dear. :)

Aye, from what I have seen/read I thought it was the pipeline rather than natural resources. Does anyone know what type of resources found? Cant read the article from where I'm browsing.

oh aye - we'll build a p[iepline through AFGHANISTAN ....... how long would that last............

Strange how these vast deposits of minerals always end up in unstable areas full of bandits, or ruled by vicious dictators, and not somewhere like..............Dorset or Belgium.

Because the coal deposits etc. in places like that were discovered ages ago :)

and they say today's yoof larns nowt!

Well done that boy!!!

oh aye - we'll build a p[iepline through AFGHANISTAN ....... how long would that last............

Was about the possibility of it, pre-9/11. Not about it happening now. Keep up.

Was about the possibility of it, pre-9/11. Not about it happening now. Keep up.

I can remember talking to a guy from Chevron way back - late 70's - about their plans for such a line. TBF everyone looked at him rather oddly....... then trhe russians launched in and it all went quiet .... on the pipeline front at least

They are basically trying to re-sell the Afghan war to the west. Holland talking about pulling out recently etc...

if you can sell that you can sell anything................... what on interest has Holland got on Gods earth in Kabul????