Cornwall, Is it worth the trek

Christmas Tree

Always being a little intrigued by Cornwall but never got their yet and wondering is it worth it?

Have a nephew who used to go for the surfing but from a family trip point of view, is it worth the hike.

Any recommendations of towns, places etc?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm there (here) right now. Had a nice day out just driving round and stopping off at places like Rock, Port Isaac, Tre-something (every fucking thing is tre-something) Strand. Weather's a bit naff today so off into Truro for the obligatory shopping trip (getting it out the way early in the week), then off to Jamie Oliver's 15 restaurant thingy tonight for tea.

Guest The Three Lions

I thought it was shite when I went, very barren landscape, no trees at all, I've never been to the Newquay side like, but I thought it was wank.

Guest The Three Lions
Devon/Cornwall is mint tbh. And its nearly always sunny down there even when its shit up here and you wouldnt expect it to be.

Pissed it down for 7 days when I went, August time too. The best thing about the holiday was finding out we'd beaten West Ham 2-0. Weird people as well from Plymouth and further down.

I thought it was shite when I went, very barren landscape, no trees at all, I've never been to the Newquay side like, but I thought it was wank.

This would bother me I think. Can get all the barren landscape stuff up the Northumberland coast.

This would bother me I think. Can get all the barren landscape stuff up the Northumberland coast.

Stevie is referring to the moors here. The valleys and lanes are full of greenery, deciduous too, none of your conifer shite.

The moors themselves have a strange beauty, they aren't like Northumberland in the least. And the place is littered with ancient sites, stone circles, burial chambers etc.

Devon/Cornwall is mint tbh. And its nearly always sunny down there even when its shit up here and you wouldnt expect it to be.

Pissed it down for 7 days when I went, August time too. The best thing about the holiday was finding out we'd beaten West Ham 2-0. Weird people as well from Plymouth and further down.

For the UK it's the best climate going.

Guest The Three Lions

It's not in the same league as Northumberland for scenery.

Guest The Three Lions

For the UK it's the best climate going.

Aye it's bizare seeing Palm trees like in this country, but Cornwall has them.

The Torygraph

Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:31:48 +0100

Wallaby colony living in Cornwall

Their natural habitat is the Australian outback, but now a family of wallabies has proved it can survive the British winter after making a home in the wild in Cornwall.

A photograph of one wallaby, taken by a motorist near a lane in St Breward, follows several recent sightings of a male, female and baby in the area.

The animal seen by the driver is thought to be a male which escaped from a farm three years ago and was never caught. He appears to have found another escaped female, who was later pictured with a joey in her pouch.

After they were sighted last year there were fears the animals may not be able to survive the winter, but the new photographs suggest they have been able to adapt to the British climate.

A spokesperson for the RSPCA said the animal charity is often called to capture escaped wallabies, but it is rarer to find examples of them living in the wild in Britain.

She said: "Wallabies are quite hardy so they do survive quite well. They are breeding as well so they have been doing fine. It has been going on for several years and they have survived some pretty cold winters.

"There are definitely colonies across the country so people should not be surprised if they have seen them."

full of foriegners.

:lol:

Never been but loads of people love Cornwall. From photos it doesn't match the western isles of Scotland though imo, not even close.

The Torygraph

Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:31:48 +0100

Wallaby colony living in Cornwall

Their natural habitat is the Australian outback, but now a family of wallabies has proved it can survive the British winter after making a home in the wild in Cornwall.

A photograph of one wallaby, taken by a motorist near a lane in St Breward, follows several recent sightings of a male, female and baby in the area.

The animal seen by the driver is thought to be a male which escaped from a farm three years ago and was never caught. He appears to have found another escaped female, who was later pictured with a joey in her pouch.

After they were sighted last year there were fears the animals may not be able to survive the winter, but the new photographs suggest they have been able to adapt to the British climate.

A spokesperson for the RSPCA said the animal charity is often called to capture escaped wallabies, but it is rarer to find examples of them living in the wild in Britain.

She said: "Wallabies are quite hardy so they do survive quite well. They are breeding as well so they have been doing fine. It has been going on for several years and they have survived some pretty cold winters.

"There are definitely colonies across the country so people should not be surprised if they have seen them."

full of foriegners.

When I was study'ing business and marketing 20 years ago, it was part of South Tynesides tourism proposals to release wallabies into the "wilds" of south tyneside. :lol::D:icon_lol:

Got knocked back ;)

:D

Never been but loads of people love Cornwall. From photos it doesn't match the western isles of Scotland though imo, not even close.

Think Scotland would win for me, especially for the canny accent (and to be among my special brew drinking buddies) :lol:

I much prefer Devon! the beaches in Cornwall are good but the countryside is no where near as nice as Devon.

The surfing in North Devon is good at places like Croyde (gets very busy) and Saunton Sands (great beach)

East Devon (where I live) is very beautiful with rolling hills and woodland, and the South Hams are stunning Blackpool beach reminds me of Greece and Salcombe, Dartmouth are great for yachting etc.

The weather has been awful for the last 3 summers, hopefully we will have a decent summer this year!!!

I much prefer Devon! the beaches in Cornwall are good but the countryside is no where near as nice as Devon.

The surfing in North Devon is good at places like Croyde (gets very busy) and Saunton Sands (great beach)

East Devon (where I live) is very beautiful with rolling hills and woodland, and the South Hams are stunning Blackpool beach reminds me of Greece and Salcombe, Dartmouth are great for yachting etc.

The weather has been awful for the last 3 summers, hopefully we will have a decent summer this year!!!

Just googled south hams and this picture keeps coming up. Can you say where it is? Also any reccomendations for nice port towns in Devon. Something along the Weymouth lines perhaps.

area2.jpg

I don't get the weather argument. If you're after good weather, this is pretty much guaranteed in Europe and it'll probably be cheaper too.

Aye, no can't argue with that at all. I was mainly looking at it from the point of view its the best climate anywhere in the UK

to live.

Just googled south hams and this picture keeps coming up. Can you say where it is? Also any reccomendations for nice port towns in Devon. Something along the Weymouth lines perhaps.

area2.jpg

Seaham Harbour, that. January.

area2.jpg

:D Know nowt Manc....

Clearly Blyth. :lol:

area2.jpg

;) Know nowt Manc....

Clearly Blyth. :D

:lol:

Seaham's like Copacabana compared to Blyth :icon_lol: