Capital Gains Tax

Christmas Tree

Just trying to work out some figures and not looking for a free accountant.

Selling a property at the moment. As it's in joint names with the wife, is the right course of action to split the gain between us so that we each can use our annual £10,000 tax free allowance?

Selling a property at the moment. As it's in joint names with the wife, is the right course of action to split the gain between us so that we each can use our annual £10,000 tax free allowance?

Times are hard, the countries desperately in debt and yet again another Tory voter looks to fiddle the system. :icon_lol:

Times are hard, the countries desperately in debt and yet again another Tory voter looks to fiddle the system. :icon_lol:

Fuck right off, notice the words right course of action.

You want to sell your belongings and give it all to Cameron, feel free.

Times are hard, the countries desperately in debt and yet again another Tory voter looks to fiddle the system. :D

Fuck right off, notice the words right course of action.

You want to sell your belongings and give it all to Cameron, feel free.

Right course of action in this case being "for yourselves" not the country, how many free school meals could have been purchased with the tax paid on that property?

:lol:

iirc the tax follows the legal analysis. So you split it 50/50 between you and the wife. You're each then entitled to offset your annual CGT exemption. You should look into whether you can deduct your acquisition and disposal costs, improvements and indexation allowance from your respective gains. Mr moneybags.

iirc the tax follows the legal analysis. So you split it 50/50 between you and the wife. You're each then entitled to offset your annual CGT exemption. You should look into whether you can deduct your acquisition and disposal costs, improvements and indexation allowance from your respective gains. Mr moneybags.

I'll check into that, cheers.

Aye, you can deduct your acquisition and disposal costs and the cost of any capital improvements. You can't deduct the cost of repairs and maintenance and indexation allowances no longer apply to personal CGT.

Aye, you can deduct your acquisition and disposal costs and the cost of any capital improvements. You can't deduct the cost of repairs and maintenance and indexation allowances no longer apply to personal CGT.

Seems very lenient of the old HM Treasury.

So with regard to disposal costs, does that include hips fee, estate agents fee, solicitors fee etc and at which point do you deduct this cost, ie off the total profit.

example

100k Profit - minus disposal costs = 95,000 - Tax free allowance (10k approx) = 85,000 to pay tax on

*cough, ahem, cough*

:icon_lol:;) ;)

I dont feel too bad because I once gave Ewerk some taxi advice when he visited Penshaw.

(Not quite the same, I know) :D

*cough, ahem, cough*

:icon_lol:;) ;)

I dont feel too bad because I once gave Ewerk some taxi advice when he visited Penshaw.

(Not quite the same, I know) :D

B)

Dont take the "short-cut down this dark country lane I know" ?

Right, basically the proforma is this:

Proceeds..............................X

Less costs of disposal...........(X)

Net proceeds........................X

Less allowable costs.............(X)

Gain....................................X

Losses to set off...................(X)

Gain....................................X

Annual exemption...............(10,100)

Chargeable gain...................X

CGT @ 18%.........................X

So, you take the proceeds and deduct the cost of disposal (solicitor's fees, estate agent fees and I'm assuming HIPS fees). That gives you your net proceeds. You then deduct allowable costs (the price you paid for the place, solicitor's fees incurred, surveyor costs etc, the value of any capital improvements). That gives you your gain. You then deduct any capital losses from the current year and past years (if you have any). That gives you you total gain. You then deduct your annual exemption (which is £10,100 assuming you've made no other capital gains during the year). And then you take 18% of that and that is what you owe HMRC.

You and your wife should do one of these each, ensuring that you divide the proceeds, costs etc by two. So if the house sells for 200k then your proceeds are 100k, if you bought the house for 100k then your allowable costs are 50k etc etc.