Geordie Morals

Guest The Three Lions

If you had a spare Cup Final Ticket  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No, you're right, cup final tickets should be distributed on a loyalty basis in the first place, I'd question why the fan involved hasn't suceeded in getting a ticket already.

NUFC Box Office fuck up? :angry:

;) Inevitably.

Most of the old codgers with enough points for a derby ticket haven't been to another away game in 10 year.

They should base it on the preceding season points total rather than an ongoing accumulated total.

As one of those codgers (formerly) I think it should be a mix <_<

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

Some years ago, can't remember exactly when, but I was 'home' on holiday and the season was about to start. People said I could get a ticket for the first match if I went over to St.James' Park and met up with a tout.

I did that and paid twice the face value which was about 50 quid..

Inside the park prior to kick-off I got talking to a couple of lads and the subject of tickets and how I got mine came up. They were really pissed-off I had to pay so much and one of them called Steve gave me his phone number and said if I ever had a problem and wanted a ticket, give him a call.

Next home game I was having difficulty so I called him, sure enough he got me a ticket, we met and he charged me face value.

Never had occasion to call him again. I may still have his phone number if it's still good, and who knows? I'll be back in August and might need help.

Just goes to show there are some genuine Geordies out there taking care of their own.

On the night of Pedro's tesimonial, I was grafting behind the bar.

the place filled up with the usual pre-match regulars, and one lad had a spare ticket ( his mate couldn't make it).

After asking around the bar to see if anyone wanted it, free, he called the gaffer over.

Next thing I was on my way to match , he simply said,

"I know you love your football, I'd rather see you have it than sell it to some Jock bastard for twice the price."

Gent of the highest order :angry:

All very noble of those knights in shining armour that do wonderful things for people regarding tickets. However, if you're a more introverted person, doing something like that for a total stranger kind of makes them obliged to be your pal if the tickets for the seat next to yours. Thinking about it that way, I'd probably prefer to sell it to a tout. I'd give it to a mate for nothing like.

I've never seen a ticket sold to a fellow Mag at more than face value in any away match I've ever been to, (not saying it hasn't happened), but the looks you'd get and the shame of it. You just wouldn't do it.*

*If we attracted gloryhunters from the rest of the UK and abroad peoples stances may change and the guilt might not be there.

Remember years ago walking away from some twat in the Irish club who just didn't seem to get I was less than impressed by his discussion with his mate about "what's the most he ever got for a ticket".

We can't ever say never, we're not Mother Teresa on here any us I doubt but I would have thought it would take impending financial doom for any proper supporter to rip off a fellow sufferer. Never done it. I could live with someone who needed to pay a final demand or something but not those tossers I mentioned at the start casually boasting about it.

St Percy of Street

.....actually while typing this I've remembered something! Couldn't get a ticket for Arsenal in 98 but had a ticket for Man U in 99. At our local there was this bloke who seemed dead canny, proper Geordie but who had been in away round the world on the ships or something for a long time (no he hadn't been inside, pretty sure!)and was ready to offer me something daft - a couple of hundred or so for my ticket. Didn't take it. Thought about that when we got beat by a Man U team who could have left their training bibs on and I missed my coach (all the life affirming moments at once eh?!) but I'm still pleased I said no!

Do people charge their mates to use their season tickets when they can't go?

Free to mates, sometimes take a tenner or something if it's going to be used by someone I don't know (e.g. the husband of someone I work with).

In relation to the poll, I'd offer the ticket for face value. However if someone strolled up and offered me more, I'd gladly take it.

Years ago I won tickets on Metro FM for an FA Cup game against Man Utd (the one where Quinny basically assualted Jim Leighton and got away with it).

My Dad had already bought tickets for our normal seats and despite asking around all we knew, no-one we knew who'd want to go hadn't already got tickets.

I flogged them outside the ground to a couple of blokes who were prepared to pay at least double face value. I didn't accept a penny more than was printed on the ticket.

This isn't just a 'geordie moral', I absolutely detest ticket-touting. People who buy up tickets en masse simply to sell them on at profit - how the fuck is that helping the fans who want to support the game rather than the pockets of these bastards? Worse still the extortionate prices they charge lead to conterfeit production so that in some cases, people who think they are buying tickets at face value are actually being conned with fakes. A fucking disgrace.

Had I accepted more than the face value, then I'd feel I was a hypocrite.

Do people charge their mates to use their season tickets when they can't go?

Nope.

Me and my mate have tickets and when one cant go we give the other the ticket to take someone else. Money never comes in to it.

Years ago I won tickets on Metro FM for an FA Cup game against Man Utd (the one where Quinny basically assualted Jim Leighton and got away with it).

My Dad had already bought tickets for our normal seats and despite asking around all we knew, no-one we knew who'd want to go hadn't already got tickets.

I flogged them outside the ground to a couple of blokes who were prepared to pay at least double face value. I didn't accept a penny more than was printed on the ticket.

This isn't just a 'geordie moral', I absolutely detest ticket-touting. People who buy up tickets en masse simply to sell them on at profit - how the fuck is that helping the fans who want to support the game rather than the pockets of these bastards? Worse still the extortionate prices they charge lead to conterfeit production so that in some cases, people who think they are buying tickets at face value are actually being conned with fakes. A fucking disgrace.

Had I accepted more than the face value, then I'd feel I was a hypocrite.

Okay, I buy tickets for every away game. I go to about 50% of them. If i cant sell or give the tickets away I take a loss on that ticket, however when the time arises when somebody is prepared to offer me over the odds I am willing to acdept it gladly. I simply dont give out a price i'd like for the tickets and let them offer me a number. This way i feel less guilty about it (at least im honest).

I must admit ive only ever sold tickets for more than face value twice, Once being Villa away last year and the other time being Sunderland Away the year before.

Now I wasnt taking advantage of anyone because i would have glady went to either of those games if someone offered me the ticket price of £35 , But I was offered more than £100 for each ticket so obviously glady accepted becuase that way I could go to town watch the match and have a night out with my mates.

I really think its a supply and demand thing. I would always choose to go to any match unless offered a substancial amount of money not too

It's individual opinion I guess. I have no beef with people who want to accept over the odds for the ticket, it's their choice. But you often hear the same people complaining that the price of football is far too expensive.

They can't have it both ways.

BTW - I see nothing wrong with people paying Chester Mag less than face value for his season ticket if he's happy to sell at that rate. At the end of the day, the club still sees the same amount of money.

I'm not sure what it's like now that they have 75k but I went to Old Trafford on spec in 94 when the allocation was reduced and Fletcher gave all the tickets to his mates. The car park outside the Munich clock became a feeding frenzy akin to those scenes with crocs where someone hoys meat in among a few when someone announced they had a ticket and were surrounded by people bidding for it. There were of course packs of touts hunting for people with spares while this was going on. I had to leave - it was fucking sickening.

(BTW I'd guess 90% of the bidders were Irish)

Guest The Three Lions
It's individual opinion I guess. I have no beef with people who want to accept over the odds for the ticket, it's their choice. But you often hear the same people complaining that the price of football is far too expensive.

BTW - I see nothing wrong with people paying Chester Mag less than face value for his season ticket if he's happy to sell at that rate. At the end of the day, the club still sees the same amount of money.

I have no problem with people admitting they're cunts neither, because that's what they do in my opinion by that very action. There's a noticable change in geordies even in terms of the younger ones coming through.

Guest The Three Lions
I'm not sure what it's like now that they have 75k but I went to Old Trafford on spec in 94 when the allocation was reduced and Fletcher gave all the tickets to his mates. The car park outside the Munich clock became a feeding frenzy akin to those scenes with crocs where someone hoys meat in among a few when someone announced they had a ticket and were surrounded by people bidding for it. There were of course packs of touts hunting for people with spares while this was going on. I had to leave - it was fucking sickening.

That game wasn't even sold out though

That game wasn't even sold out though

I can't remember tbh - note it was the one the year after (when Gillespie got fucked) when the building work meant even fewer tickets but at least then they did base it on the points.

I have no problem with people admitting they're cunts neither, because that's what they do in my opinion by that very action. There's a noticable change in geordies even in terms of the younger ones coming through.

Sorry, Stevie are you saying im a cunt for someone saying can i please have your sunderland ticket im desperate to go then saying howay ill give you 150 quid?!?!

How old are you? Im 23, what a load of shit you talk sometimes like with regards to the younger geordies and their morals.

Guest The Three Lions

Sorry, Stevie are you saying im a cunt for someone saying can i please have your sunderland ticket im desperate to go then saying howay ill give you 150 quid?!?!

How old are you? Im 23, what a load of shit you talk sometimes like with regards to the younger geordies and their morals.

If the ticket was up for sale and you had no one you knew who wanted it, I'd have sold it face value, and maintained my dignity to be honest. I couldn't bring myself to charge a geordie or even a Newcastle fan from where ever over the odds for a ticket.

Being offered £150 quid without naming your price and being tempted to take it is one thing (though still dodgy), setting your price at that in the first place is another and a cunt's trick imo.

Being offered £150 quid without naming your price and being tempted to take it is one thing (though still dodgy), setting your price at that in the first place is another and a cunt's trick imo.

Agreed.

Stevie, is it lonely up there?

Guest alex

If the ticket was up for sale and you had no one you knew who wanted it, I'd have sold it face value, and maintained my dignity to be honest. I couldn't bring myself to charge a geordie or even a Newcastle fan from where ever over the odds for a ticket.

It's just one of those things that's 'not on' in my book.

Guest The Three Lions

Same here? I've paid £400 for a ticket before, and the bloke sat next to me paid £45. Did I like being ripped off? No. Would I like someone else to feel short changed like I did for what was another debacle? No. Ask yourself how you would feel being ripped off.

Ewerk eh?

It's not about being ripped off, you pay what you think a ticket is worth.

If you happen to have a spare and someone offers you over face value for it or a couple of people bid against each other then that's fair enough.

If you buy an extra ticket with the intention of selling it on at a profit then that's not on.

Edited by ewerk

Guest The Three Lions
It's not about being ripped off, you pay what you think a ticket is worth.

If you happen to have a spare and someone offers you over face value for it or a couple of people bid against each other then that's fair enough.

If you buy an extra ticket with the intention of selling it on at a profit then that's not on.

The ticket is worth what the amount printed on it. End of. Neither are on, I've had this conversation numerous times with scores of people, and nearly all agree the principle behind overcharging your own for match tickets under any circumstance is a disgrace, but people have different standards of decency I accept that.

The ticket is worth what the amount printed on it. End of.

It's not though, if it was then no one would pay over the odds for a ticket.

Like I said, it depends on your motive, profit seeking isn't on but if a profit is incidental then that's fair enough.

Guest alex

Same here? I've paid £400 for a ticket before, and the bloke sat next to me paid £45. Did I like being ripped off? No. Would I like someone else to feel short changed like I did for what was another debacle? No. Ask yourself how you would feel being ripped off.

Ewerk eh?

I wouldn't. You can't really complain about the black market when you're creating it.