Pub by a river

Christmas Tree

Thanks chaps, ended up at the riverbar in fatfield.

Are you drunk?

No Kevin, why do you ask?

Ah man, you can't go to the pub without getting blocked!

When your balls drop and hairs start sprouting it will all become clear.

where will hairs sprout ;) im not going to drop my balls, they're mine :icon_lol:

Anyway as I said earlier, we ended up at a Pub called the Riverbar in Fatfield , Washington and then headed upstairs to a Restaurant called Fumes for a bite.

As with anywhere the sunshine made the night and this particular restaurant has an outside eating balcony that soaks up the sun and overlooks the river.

washingtonpub009.jpg

Not going to say the food was brilliant but just average for what you get in an okay itallian these days. The fillet steak was cooked to perfection, however the starter was a different kettle of fish all together!!!!

Advertised as Cajun style Whitebait I expected a similar dish as I once ate on Cocoa beach, florida. On that occasion it was beautiful chuncks of white fish cooked in Cajun spices to perfection.

This time I got a plate of......

washingtonpub008.jpg

I had a go at chopping the tales and heads off a few but OMG not for me.

Overall a lovely setting on a sunny night but dont order the little fishies (unless you like them) ;)

That does not look tasty, what so ever.

Call me a girl, but I can't eat things with their heads, and more importantly their eyes, staring mournfully back up at me as I tuck in...

Been to Fumes before for a big family night out (mothers 60th). It was shit with a capital 'S'! Cramped and basically the food was crap (and overpriced imo)! Fantastic location tho!

I've got to say , they look on the large size to be served as whitebait.Just going off the fork for scale, whitebait is usually no longer than the tines ( 2-3cm) or any wider than the handle.

I usually served them in a very light tempura batter too.

Guest The Three Lions
The Boathouse in Wylam.

100% 110% even. Class pub. Lush setting they sell Sagres too. On paper The Boathouse at Newburn would deserve a mention but it's full of scum.

In London the pubs right down the side of Hammersmith Bridge, there's three of them together, absolutely godly, for some reason the birds down there always seem the fittest in London too, posh many of them but who gives a fuck, I've never once seen a fat munter down there at Hammersmith Bridge and I've been loads of times. It is quite an affluent area though and you have Barnes and Putney near by.

the-dove-pub-2.JPG

Fabulous place though on the river, proper sun trap too, I've been on sessions outside there, and ended up looking like Garth Crooks.

Edited by The Three Lions

The Boathouse in Wylam.

100% 110% even. Class pub. Lush setting they sell Sagres too. On paper The Boathouse at Newburn would deserve a mention but it's full of scum.

In London the pubs right down the side of Hammersmith Bridge, there's three of them together, absolutely godly, for some reason the birds down there always seem the fittest in London too, posh many of them but who gives a fuck, I've never once seen a fat munter down there at Hammersmith Bridge and I've been loads of times. It is quite an affluent area though and you have Barnes and Putney near by.

the-dove-pub-2.JPG

Fabulous place though on the river, proper sun trap too, I've been on sessions outside there, and ended up looking like Garth Crooks.

No-neck, fished eyed and pugly? :icon_lol:;)

The Boathouse in Wylam.

the-dove-pub-2.JPG

Do you remember the names of the pubs Stevie ?

Guest The Three Lions
No-neck, fished eyed and pugly? :icon_lol:;)

Aye, and that's on a good day but with a neck.

The Boathouse in Wylam.

the-dove-pub-2.JPG

Do you remember the names of the pubs Stevie ?

I think one of them was called The Blue Anchor.

Been to Fumes before for a big family night out (mothers 60th). It was shit with a capital 'S'! Cramped and basically the food was crap (and overpriced imo)! Fantastic location tho!

Aye , we've just discussed it again this morning and we would only go back if we were going to eat the "you cant fuck this up food" such as potato skins, lasagne etc.

Sitting on that balcony watching the sun go down and sipping alcohol, virtually made up for the dodgy starter.

I've got to say , they look on the large size to be served as whitebait.Just going off the fork for scale, whitebait is usually no longer than the tines ( 2-3cm) or any wider than the handle.

Would have definitely made them more palatable but still the heads.......Ughhhh

Would have definitely made them more palatable but still the heads.......Ughhhh

;)

Don't let it put you off man- if they're served properly.

Scoop em up and crunch away- like fishy crisps.

Still open to suggestions btw.

Heres a picture of the trout inn, oxford to give an idea of the sort of thing im after. Even settle for a lovely beer garden with a babbling brook or lake.

Layer-243_800x600.jpg

Looked at a few pictures of the boathouse wylam but it doesnt seem to be by the river, as such.

Thinking of heading off to Northumberland today either Rothbury or Hexham way so any suggestions up that way would be mucho appreciated.

I'll have another look at that George place to see if that fits the bill as well.