Bats

Christmas Tree

Having spent the last few nights sitting enjoying a few sherrys late into the evening, I have now noticed a four or five bats that spend all evening flying between our garden and two gardens away.

We live on a fairly modern estate with no old bell towers or barns close by so Im a bit confused at where they are coming from.

The fact that they spend all night over these three gardens makes me think they must reside very close.

Anyone know anything about Bats?

They are class to watch mind.

Guest alex
Having spent the last few nights sitting enjoying a few sherrys late into the evening, I have now noticed a four or five bats that spend all evening flying between our garden and two gardens away.

We live on a fairly modern estate with no old bell towers or barns close by so Im a bit confused at where they are coming from.

The fact that they spend all night over these three gardens makes me think they must reside very close.

They're a lot more common than you think. I think most people just assume they're birds but you see them all the time at dusk.

Someone built a big bat house type thing near the new estate in my neck of the woods, can see hordes of the little critters flying round it when it starts to get dark.

They will roost in "modern" loft spaces, it's ideal for them.

If you have them in your loft space, they're protected and it's an offence to move or disturb them.

I love the little critters, watching the precision with which they fly is incredible, more so when you remember they are effectively blind.

Guest alex
Sometimes you can here the 'click' of their 'radar' when they're hunting if you're lucky.

;)

You can fuck off with that shite like, Bruce Wayne!

You can, honestly. I've actually heard it myself.

Guest alex

Actually, I just looked it up and you can't hear their sonar, but they do make audible noises, which is what I must have heard.

Have had a good read up on these today and apparently it is quite common for them to be in modern houses, trees and even hedgerows.

They dont travel far to feast so I guess they must live pretty close by. As someone said above I guess its only when the summer is here and we are out in the garden late at night that we notice them.

Amazing little guys tho.

Guest alex

Saw some flying foxes (i.e. the massive ones) when I was in Oz btw. You see loads of them at dusk in Sydney and Melbourne.

there've been some living in our next door neighbours roofspace for a good few years now

it is good watching them zip about

they can be in staggering amounts too, some lived in the roof of my uncles house a few years back we were sat out having adrink and one or two came out so we started counting how many came out

we got bored at 100

Saw some flying foxes (i.e. the massive ones) when I was in Oz btw. You see loads of them at dusk in Sydney and Melbourne.

;)

Proper bullshit artist in this thread, Alex. Flying foxes?!

Guest alex

;)

I shit thee not.

;)

You can just imagine him at Tynemouth in his speedos telling the dolphins to 'pipe down a bit' with their echo location. Fruitloop tbh.

;)

You can just imagine him at Tynemouth in his speedos telling the dolphins to 'pipe down a bit' with their echo location. Fruitloop tbh.

:icon_lol:

He's Toontastics' very own Terry Nutkins but with less hair.

sherry? are you a 60+ year old grandma? ;)

no bats in london but there are shitloads of urban foxes everywhere. they're so used to living around humans now that i half expect to see one sat outside my house in a deck chair, wearing shades and puffing on a snout. still, better the foxes than the rats.