Are you glad we went down?

Kevin

I've hardly given a fuck about the football on the field in 6 years.

We've not looked like we'll be in the running for anything important at any point since Souness got the job....apart from a few games at the start of 08/09 where I thought it might be the start of something and was sadly misguided.

I can't see us being in the running for anything 6 years from now either, so relegation has achieved exactly fuck all apart from increasing the debt and making it harder for Ashley to get out with a return on his investment.

There's not a player that left the club who we wouldn't have got rid of if we stayed up, so you're delusional if you think it's relegation that's stabilised the wage bill.

Bassong? Beye? Duff? Martins?

I actually think only Owen, Viduka and Geremi would of went had we stayed up tbh.

OMHO it was the sales of Given, Milner and N'zogbia which blew the wheels off our premiership wagon.

Edited by Geordie Lad...

I've hardly given a fuck about the football on the field in 6 years.

We've not looked like we'll be in the running for anything important at any point since Souness got the job....apart from a few games at the start of 08/09 where I thought it might be the start of something and was sadly misguided.

I can't see us being in the running for anything 6 years from now either, so relegation has achieved exactly fuck all apart from increasing the debt and making it harder for Ashley to get out with a return on his investment.

There's not a player that left the club who we wouldn't have got rid of if we stayed up, so you're delusional if you think it's relegation that's stabilised the wage bill.

Bassong? Beye? Duff? Martins?

Yep, they'd all have gone anyway.

To save wages for three out of four. Bassong wasn't even on a high wage, like Milner and N'zogbia (who went before relegation) he offered too much profit for Ashley to retain.

I enjoyed last season more than at anytime since Bobby left - we'd been in decline ever since Hall and Shepherd (reputedly Douglas bloody Hall) utterly ballsed up the great man's departure. Ashley of course was supposed to halt the slide but instead greased the rails.............

Am definitely in the camp though who thinks this team can survive (not that this doesn't represent a massive downsizing of ambition). People who simply recall some of this squad getting relegated are missing the point. The spirit on the pitch is 100% better than 12months ago. And also the chaos of of four managers in a season and an utterly poisoned atmosphere in the immediate aftermath of Keegan's departure were all huge factors in serving to bury us. Makes me smile when I see Owen and Viduka listed as departures as somehow evidence of having a better squad then. Going back to 08/09 Owen did nothing at all post Christmas and Viduka contributed nothing whatsoever all season (ironically save for a perfectly good disallowed goal against Fulham that would have kept us up!) Really though they both could have left in Jan 09 and we wouldn't have had fewer points.

Of course I wasn't glad we went down but I am pleased the way the team and Hughton responded. That said I have been slapping my forehead ever since though at the idiocy of THAT statement from our glorious leaders....................

I enjoyed last season more than at anytime since Bobby left - we'd been in decline ever since Hall and Shepherd (reputedly Douglas bloody Hall) utterly ballsed up the great man's departure. Ashley of course was supposed to halt the slide but instead greased the rails.............

Am definitely in the camp though who thinks this team can survive (not that this doesn't represent a massive downsizing of ambition). People who simply recall some of this squad getting relegated are missing the point. The spirit on the pitch is 100% better than 12months ago. And also the chaos of of four managers in a season and an utterly poisoned atmosphere in the immediate aftermath of Keegan's departure were all huge factors in serving to bury us. Makes me smile when I see Owen and Viduka listed as departures as somehow evidence of having a better squad then. Going back to 08/09 Owen did nothing at all post Christmas and Viduka contributed nothing whatsoever all season (ironically save for a perfectly good disallowed goal against Fulham that would have kept us up!) Really though they both could have left in Jan 09 and we wouldn't have had fewer points.

Of course I wasn't glad we went down but I am pleased the way the team and Hughton responded. That said I have been slapping my forehead ever since though at the idiocy of THAT statement from our glorious leaders....................

Good post.

can you delete those first two lines percy?

last thing we need is another fucking thread getting leazesed

:wub:

I wasn't seeking a fight with anyone! It is the season I've enjoyed most in a few years - funnily enough winning lots of games is quite fun.......

I know its become a bit of a cliche but Newcastle's decline did start with Bobby going. Sure his powers were declining and his team had peaked but the decline was relative. But the shameful sacking of a local and football legend in an ill thought out and ill timed manner was a self inflicted blow from which we've simply never recovered. Our relegation was Ashley's fault - pure and simple - but the rot started before he got here.