The Labour Leadership Campaign

Christmas Tree

"Special Ed" as he will now forever be known needs to wrk on finding a personality and some charisma or he will be gone before the next conference.

Sounds like the Labour Party is about to implode into civil war...

Labour may be riding high in the polls, but according to Labour insider Dan Hodges in this week's New Statesman, there is growing discord within the party supposedly united after Ed Miliband's election.

Party members had hoped that Ed's election would have brought catharsis to the party, after a decade of Blair-Brown infighting but - according to Hodges - this has not been the case.

"I wish Ed Miliband hadn't run," one Labour MP told Hodges. "We should have had a straight battle between David and Ed Balls. One final reckoning. A fight to the death. Then the Blair/Brown struggle would have been resolved once and for all."

Miliband enjoyed the briefest of honeymoons following his lukewarm inaugural leader's speech. Senior Brownites spoke to Hodges immediately after Ed Miliband's inaugural speech calling it "a disaster" and declaring that "in two years we'll have him out and Yvette Cooper in."

According to another senior Brownite insider that Hodges spoke to, Ed Miliband should be - and is - worried about such a scenario.

"Ed Miliband's team are terrified of Ed Balls and Yvette. They think they're going to come and try and kill him. And the reason they think that is because they will," he told Hodges.

"There's a sense of a vacuum developing," he continued. "People are looking for leadership and direction. And at the moment, they're not getting it," according to one shadow minister.

Disunity and discord is once again looming over the Labour party. Or as one MP starkly put it to Hodges: "We're either on the threshold of the new politics or we're on the brink of a civil war."

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-stag...hodges-miliband

And all the while the multi millionaire PM continues sticking it to the masses.

God/Allah/Buddha/Richard Dawkins help us.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Labour party is completely irrelevant for the next three years, what it does or doesn't do won't matter one little bit.

Ed M could win the intellectual argument, kill at pmqs and be running at 80% in the ratings for the next two years and it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to anything.

The coalition is in for the next 5 years and the only question in town is whether the gamble works, and if enough people feel safe enough/better off at the next election.

Personally, and as a Labour supporter, I am interested to see what sort of a fist EM makes of it, and where he takes the opposition argument. y personal preference though would be for Yvette Cooper to lead Labour into the next election. By far the most telegenetic of the Labour front bench, and seems to come from a political position I am comfortable with.

Lets be honest here Ed looks like a bit of a mong, and should probably step aside in magnanimous glory in a couple of years time

• 4 years later...

Aye probably :lol:

Bad crack when you have MPs coming out and saying stuff like ''I hope a woman gets the job' rather than taking their policies into account or anything important. Kendall, Cooper & Harman can all get to fuck. Lets get left wing bitchez.

It's sad when you really have to ask them why the fuck they joined the labour party - that Kendall especially.

Aye she's not even subtle.

Corbyn seems a proper Labour politician so expect him on the front of the sun with a subway all down his top in a few years time.

Aye she's not even subtle.

Corbyn seems a proper Labour politician so expect him on the front of the sun with a subway all down his top in a few years time.

:lol: a link to a video of him trying to eat a chip that was too hot to be put in his mouth.

The four of them were on BBC 2 (Victoria Derbyshire) yesterday morning. Now I love politics, but I had to turn it off it was so bad.

I genuinely think Labour as a majority party are finished. In years gone by you could say the cream within the party will rise to the top at some point in the future, but with the rise of the SNP and UKIP, now is not the time to be walking in the wilderness.

The party has had a disastrous five years and now seems ready to tear itself apart between left and right. The only chance it has is heading back to the centre, getting a broad appealing leader and coming up with real exciting policies.

Corbyn and Burnham are too left and cooper is too tarnished. Kendal is basically a Tory.

Personally I think Chukka would have been the ideal candidate, but I think he probably thought it would be good to duck out of the next five years and make his challenge after the 2020 election. Unfortunately it will be game over by them.

Add to all of this that the country as a whole is moving to the right.

The only way I see an alternative to the conservatives is by some new party being created, probably 2021 that will encompass Labour, SDP and allow others to come back from the greens and UKIP.

The four of them were on BBC 2 (Victoria Derbyshire) yesterday morning. Now I love politics, but I had to turn it off it was so bad.

To the Dunes please.

I genuinely think Labour as a majority party are finished. In years gone by you could say the cream within the party will rise to the top at some point in the future, but with the rise of the SNP and UKIP, now is not the time to be walking in the wilderness.

You know, Shields? On the beachfront?

The party has had a disastrous five years and now seems ready to tear itself apart between left and right. The only chance it has is heading back to the centre, getting a broad appealing leader and coming up with real exciting policies.

Corbyn and Burnham are too left and cooper is too tarnished. Kendal is basically a Tory.

Mate... the Dunes?

Personally I think Chukka would have been the ideal candidate, but I think he probably thought it would be good to duck out of the next five years and make his challenge after the 2020 election. Unfortunately it will be game over by them.

The only way I see an alternative to the conservatives is by some new party being created, probably 2021 that will encompass Labour, SDP and allow others to come back from the greens and UKIP.

*fires up Uber app*

cooper has no chance.

blair was basically a tory too. kendal could repeat his success if she tries to appeal to centrist voters, though it would spell disaster for labour as a credible opposition as we would end up with two near identical parties.

corbyn is the guy i would like to see get it, but i'm not sure he would be able to appeal to the whole country in the way blair was. burnham is the most likely leader as he's somewhere in the middle between corbyn and kendal

Labour have to go back to basics and build around center-left policies.

There is a huge vacuum where old Labour used to exist. They have to be honest and say outright that they are going to interfere with the kind of state sponsored Capitalism that is failing all over the world...A Capitalism that is reeling from debt crisis to debt crisis with no idea how to solve it. They've thrown money at it and they have frozen interest rates but none of these things have made any difference...Western economies are carrying huge tranches of debt to GDP.

If Labour tell people what has really happened, that the debt is because business has been taxed less and less - from 1.5 pounds against 1 pound per person in the 70's to 30p now against one pound per person that accounts for most of this debt. We are borrowing money from the very same businesses that are avoiding tax. Tax them instead of borrowing from them.

Something is going to give sooner or later because soverign states are basically destroying their fabric at the behest of multinationals and banks.

Europe is moving to the left now. Look at the EU giving China favored trading partner status (MFN). How is this protecting jobs in the EU? It's simple things like this that shows the EU is part of the control fabric of Globalisation...Protecting Western investments in the East in favour of jobs in the West. I predict Spain will default on its 1.7 trillion debt and there isn't enough money in the whole EU to anything about that.

The next crisis will wipe out middle England and their coveted house prices and a couple of dozen banks around Europe and then the game will be on because the UK relies so heavily on the financial sector...It will basically be Armageddon.

These are the things Labour need to talk about.

Edited by Park Life