What mood are you in and why?

catmag

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

I couldn’t watch the Jimmy McGovern tv film about Hillsborough. I started and it made me too upset and angry. Sorry to hijack this slightly, Craig. Thanks for sharing your feelings. Same with you, Fish. Please use this place for this sort of thing if helps you, everyone. Don’t bottle shit up. It’s bad for you. Even if it’s not here, speak to someone 

Amen. And yes, the McGovern thing is hard hitting. 

No apology needed. What I've learned this last year is not to be embarrassed by any of the shit going in your head - get it out there. If anyone has issue with it, it's their issue not yours. 

• Like 5

On 30/05/2024 at 11:58, Craig said:

What I've learned this last year is not to be embarrassed by any of the shit going in your head - get it out there. If anyone has issue with it, it's their issue not yours. 

Well said mate. 
Thankfully, a lot of folks are changing their thinking and it’s easier now , I find, to be open about mental health. 

I had a bad run-in with depression towards the end of lockdown, when a combination of several negative things got the better of me. 

I’m very lucky in that my lass has very good mental health training through her job, and we got sorted, but fuck me, it’s a horrible experience- the way it manifested in me was a total lack of emotions or feelings- no joy, no sadness, nothing. 

Thankfully, I’m just about back on top now. 

I’m a long drive home from finishing my first 4 days as a Class 1 artic driver. 

Started Wednesday at 6:30pm, drove down to near Dartford, dropped a trailer load, then head down for 9 hrs in the cab from 7:00am on Thursday. 
Picked a load up in Wisbech Thursday evening, brought back up north, head down for another 9hrs at home Friday morning, back in at 7:00pm yesterday drove down to Dartford, unloaded, and I’ve just picked up 25 tons of paper from near Sittingbourne. 

I’m now parked up, having a brew and a croissant then I’m having 9hrs off, driving back up north, timing it so I get back at 5 or 6:00 am tomorrow. ( I’ll find somewhere in Wykiki’s home county to dump the prozzies parts, so that’ll waste a bit time :whistling:). 

Then I’m off until Thursday. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

:lol:

By full, you mean 6 on each hand and foot? 

The lad who loaded me , I don’t think it was his day for the community teeth, either. 

• Haha 3

I'm starting my new job on Wednesday and I'm feeling strangely down about it. I'm not even sure it's nerves that much? I'm fixating a bit on the permanent Sundays but I don't know. Maybe I've become too used to being off and the missus condition is just getting worse mobility wise. Am I just being lazy? 

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'm starting my new job on Wednesday and I'm feeling strangely down about it. I'm not even sure it's nerves that much? I'm fixating a bit on the permanent Sundays but I don't know. Maybe I've become too used to being off and the missus condition is just getting worse mobility wise. Am I just being lazy? 

I don’t know many people who would actively look forward to going back to work after time off mate, you are probably worrying about your Mrs too. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Tbh I think you've just turned into a bum. 👍

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Joking, of course. Work sucks, perfectly natural to have the fear, much more so in a new job. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Renton said:

Joking, of course. Work sucks, perfectly natural to have the fear, much more so in a new job. 

Especially at his age 👍 

• Haha 1

Glorious sunshine this morning shining over the North Sea. Summer feels like it has finally arrived. 

Meanwhile, I'm stuck with a winter coat on in Whitley Bay Ice Rink for 3 fucking hours as D2 does whatever ice skating stuff she does (normally the responsibility of Mrs Rents). 

I Think You Should Leave Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Renton said:

Glorious sunshine this morning shining over the North Sea. Summer feels like it has finally arrived. 

Meanwhile, I'm stuck with a winter coat on in Whitley Bay Ice Rink for 3 fucking hours as D2 does whatever ice skating stuff she does (normally the responsibility of Mrs Rents). 

I Think You Should Leave Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

I might sympathise if you had to go 3 times a week for practice plus whatever games were on in whichever far flung corner of Scotland was hosting that weekend.

• Haha 3

On 02/06/2024 at 10:01, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I might sympathise if you had to go 3 times a week for practice plus whatever games were on in whichever far flung corner of Scotland was hosting that weekend.

Since the arrival of the new one I have to take the eldest to Rugby (I know, I know), football, swimming and tennis. Swimming and Tennis isn't too badas I'm mostly just talking with the other parents on the sidelines, but Rugby and football are a "Lets get the parents involved" kind of thing. 

That's Saturday and Sunday mornings gone for the foreseeable, Monday and Friday early evenings gone too. 

As an aside, rugby dads are the fucking worst. Chummy cunts whose idea of banter is talking about how the Saracens got on, pretending they thought I was a sunderland fan, or asking how the match went after a loss, all with a vacant grin on their face. At least with Tennis it's mostly yummy mummys who at least provide a bit of eye candy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

Since the arrival of the new one I have to take the eldest to Rugby (I know, I know), football, swimming and tennis. Swimming and Tennis isn't too badas I'm mostly just talking with the other parents on the sidelines, but Rugby and football are a "Lets get the parents involved" kind of thing. 

That's Saturday and Sunday mornings gone for the foreseeable, Monday and Friday early evenings gone too. 

As an aside, rugby dads are the fucking worst. Chummy cunts whose idea of banter is talking about how the Saracens got on, pretending they thought I was a sunderland fan, or asking how the match went after a loss, all with a vacant grin on their face. At least with Tennis it's mostly yummy mummys who at least provide a bit of eye candy.

:lol: You have to learn how to say 'no', David. It's easier to say 'no' to a bairn than to say 'son, if you think I'm talking to any more of these NW rugby union cunts you've another thing coming.' This new alter ego can be called 'Fuck that' Dave. :good:

On 30/05/2024 at 11:48, wykikitoon said:

Absolutely Alex

I come on here and vent off, cunt this cunt that and genuinely have belly laughs at some of the posters on here and it helps a lot.

Really?? When was this ?? You always seem so chilled and laid back 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha 5

On 30/05/2024 at 11:44, Alex said:

Don’t bottle shit up. It’s bad for you.

i agree, but for a lot of blokes, it's how we cope. i have probably talked more openly to you lot about mental health challenges than any friends IRL. it's just not what we do when we get together. i would also say i think that male friendships are a form of therapy and it's important to maintain them as we get older, even if we don't have deep chats about our feelings the way a lot of female friends do when they hang out.  

• Like 2

I have just recenty recovered from dodgy guts, it has taught me one thing and that is - never EVER take for granted enjoying the feeling of having a fart knowing it is indeed only a fart. (Thank fuck the Mrs had a throw over the sofa).

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

i agree, but for a lot of blokes, it's how we cope. i have probably talked more openly to you lot about mental health challenges than any friends IRL. it's just not what we do when we get together. i would also say i think that male friendships are a form of therapy and it's important to maintain them as we get older, even if we don't have deep chats about our feelings the way a lot of female friends do when they hang out.  

Hanging out with mates being a form a mental health therapy, is a hill I'd definitely die on. 

I'd argue that as the role of modern man has changed, it's severely impacted the mental health of men of our age. Where once  men could spend most evenings in the pub with their mates, now we have to take our kids to tennis lessons and shit like that. I've no idea, but I'd also guess that 2-3 pints in the pub a night didn't significantly impact your pocket then, like it can now. I bought a pint of Madri recently, it cost me £7.50. Even the little bar near me charges £4+ for a pint of their own beer.

20 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Hanging out with mates being a form a mental health therapy, is a hill I'd definitely die on. 

I'd argue that as the role of modern man has changed, it's severely impacted the mental health of men of our age. Where once  men could spend most evenings in the pub with their mates, now we have to take our kids to tennis lessons and shit like that. I've no idea, but I'd also guess that 2-3 pints in the pub a night didn't significantly impact your pocket then, like it can now. I bought a pint of Madri recently, it cost me £7.50. Even the little bar near me charges £4+ for a pint of their own beer.

life was pretty simple for blokes before the contraceptive pill allowed women to join the workforce - your typical working man would provide for the family, come home to dinner on the table and a clean house, give his pay packet to the wife every week to manage the household and come and go to the pub as he pleased in return. 

women's liberation has been a great thing but it's led to a crisis of masculinity - a lot of blokes clearly feel pretty desperate and confused about their role in a changing world. it's the era of jordan peterson, andrew tate and incels on the more extreme end. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

life was pretty simple for blokes before the contraceptive pill allowed women to join the workforce - your typical working man would provide for the family, come home to dinner on the table and a clean house, give his pay packet to the wife every week to manage the household and come and go to the pub as he pleased in return. 

women's liberation has been a great thing but it's led to a crisis of masculinity - a lot of blokes clearly feel pretty desperate and confused about their role in a changing world. it's the era of jordan peterson, andrew tate and incels on the more extreme end. 

I would have said the washing machine his liberated women more.

As for the price of booze.  I was in the pub last week with some friends.  I got a G&T for my wife and a pint of non-alcoholic Northern Monk and it was £16 for both.  I would rather go for a meal and have a bottle of wine!

12 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I would rather go for a meal and have a bottle of wine!

I do that now with family and it's north of £100 even in a modest place. Had some nice eggs benedict and coffee this weekend at a local cafe, was £16. The cost of eating and drinking out is the mot noticeable thing recently I think. We've got a decent household income, but can rarely afford to eat out. Holidays are another. Feels like you are just working to survive and this will also eventually fuck your mental health. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

My masculine spirit animal isn't Andrew Tate or Joe Rogan, it's Bandit; the dad from Bluey. 

Any parents whose kids watch it might not know this, but Bandit is an archaeologist and the mum is in airport security. So he digs for a living, and she sniffs out drugs. Because those are dog jobs.