What mood are you in and why?

catmag

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

Dr Gillian McKeith, or, to use her full name, Gillian McKeith.

An absolute disgusting crank who is one of the ones responsible for anyi-scientific conspiracy theory thinking. These embryonic fruitcakes fucked over the Western World and were allowed to by a complicit and gullible media. Now they are out of control and in the US are part of mainstream politics. 

I remember she reckoned she could diagnose anyone's holistic health by looking at their poo. Jonathon Ross obliged on his show. She writhed about, saying how she could tell by the stench alone Ross was not a well man. He then promptly took his battered faeces out the tupperware box and ate it live on stage. It was a mashed up mars bar. The silly bint wasn't having it though and accused him of switching it. 

For some reason I can't find the video on youtube now. Found this from another forum to prove to myself I'm not misremembering. Makes you think.

image.thumb.png.d5ae2024dfdc99bc4e0301561bc151e9.png

I didn’t see it broadcast live but I’ve definitely seen the Jonathan Ross clip :lol: 

Doctor is a shite and desperate title, and the folk that insist on being referred to as Dr. are usually cunts, even the ones with legitimate PhDs.

I remember my old man getting his doctorate and making a big deal about changing his title on everything, I dunno why, maybe so the postman knew? 

More respect for surgeons and the like that accept and embrace Mr as their title, and hopefully/probably frown upon the small mindedness of arseholes that chase titles for clout.

5 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

More respect for surgeons and the like that accept and embrace Mr as their title, and hopefully/probably frown upon the small mindedness of arseholes that chase titles for clout.

Frankly, I think most embrace "Mr" so that they aren't associated with lower status "doctors" and use the title for clout.

• Like 3

If I got a doctorate in data-stuff I'd 100% insist on being referred to by my title, and if ever someone asked "Is there a Doctor on board", I'd rush over to help with my framed doctorate. 

• Haha 2

In my early Northern Gas (Gas Debtors dept) days, if I got a Dr on the phone I’d call them Mr. and if they whinged I’d call them Mr thereafter to wind them up, if they said nowt I’d then address them as Dr. 

That game started after I inadvertently called one Mr. and he went off like a “don’t you know who I am” merchant.

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If I got a doctorate in data-stuff I'd 100% insist on being referred to by my title, and if ever someone asked "Is there a Doctor on board", I'd rush over to help with my framed doctorate. 

If you could get said doctorate certificate to fit into the frame, obvs.

• Haha 2

Just now, Toonpack said:

If you could get said doctorate certificate to fit into the frame, obvs.

I'll use my joiner.

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

In my early Northern Gas (Gas Debtors dept) days, if I got a Dr on the phone I’d call them Mr. and if they whinged I’d call them Mr thereafter to wind them up, if they said nowt I’d then address them as Dr. 

That game started after I inadvertently called one Mr. and he went off like a “don’t you know who I am” merchant.

The lass who lives next to me calls herself Dr, we often get parcels left for her. 

She is an academic Dr, having acquired a PhD studying Auschwitz.  Dr fucking Death, basically.     

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

That game started after I called one Napoleon and he went off like a “don’t you know who I am” merchant.

TP, it was your GP and you were in his office calling him Napoleon. He was perfectly entitled to ask that question. He was just testing your facilities. :good:

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

TP, it was your GP and you were in his office calling him Napoleon. He was perfectly entitled to ask that question. He was just testing your facilities. :good:

Ney lad, Ney

10 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Doctor is a shite and desperate title, and the folk that insist on being referred to as Dr. are usually cunts, even the ones with legitimate PhDs.

I remember my old man getting his doctorate and making a big deal about changing his title on everything, I dunno why, maybe so the postman knew? 

Well, after your completely unnecessary Lindisfarne comments me and you have definitely fallen out now, ya cunt ya, what ever agreement we have on washing machines.

Sad Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

After six years of research, a 300 page thesis, several academic papers and conference presentations, a viva lasting a whole day, I'm going to use "Dr" where appropriate, that is professionally. It's pretty much a requirement to have a doctorate in my field at my level do yeah, it is a proxy for seniority. Don't use it on my passport though etc. 

For reference, doctorates predate medics being called doctors. Why is it okay for doctors to call themselves Dr? Surgeons call themselves "Mr" out of inverse snobbery, as RR says. What do you think of professors? There's no big deal in substituting a single letter of your prefix. People listing their letter after their name is more strange to me.  

Your sincerely

Dr Renton MB ChB (ord), BSc, (hons), MSc, PhD. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Your sincerely

Unimpressed Shania Twain GIF

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

No one wants to be a professor, no? Losers.

Say that again, I double dare you. 

819924476_BrianCox.gif.aabaca60c4f8da1743f4debfe2b5e99f.gif

Edited by Renton

33 minutes ago, Renton said:

Say that again, I double dare you. 

819924476_BrianCox.gif.aabaca60c4f8da1743f4debfe2b5e99f.gif

I only recently learned that professor comes before other honorifics. Like Professor Sir Stephen Hawking. 

11 hours ago, Renton said:

Well, after your completely unnecessary Lindisfarne comments me and you have definitely fallen out now, ya cunt ya, what ever agreement we have on washing machines.

Sad Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

After six years of research, a 300 page thesis, several academic papers and conference presentations, a viva lasting a whole day, I'm going to use "Dr" where appropriate, that is professionally. It's pretty much a requirement to have a doctorate in my field at my level do yeah, it is a proxy for seniority. Don't use it on my passport though etc. 

For reference, doctorates predate medics being called doctors. Why is it okay for doctors to call themselves Dr? Surgeons call themselves "Mr" out of inverse snobbery, as RR says. What do you think of professors? There's no big deal in substituting a single letter of your prefix. People listing their letter after their name is more strange to me.  

Your sincerely

I might be wrong about this but my understanding was that surgeons here were historically referred to as Mr as they were looked down own by other medical professionals for working a manual job that involved getting their hands dirty and the title just stuck. 

For the rest of it I was mostly just taking the mince out of the insufferable "you will address me by my proper title you little shit/don't you know who I am?" types. Even my da had moments where he was crossing into that territory and I had to say shit like "wise up dad, I don't think the AA guy really gives a toss how many years you pissed about at uni".

18 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

I might be wrong about this but my understanding was that surgeons here were historically referred to as Mr as they were looked down own by other medical professionals for working a manual job that involved getting their hands dirty and the title just stuck. 

For the rest of it I was mostly just taking the mince out of the insufferable "you will address me by my proper title you little shit/don't you know who I am?" types. Even my da had moments where he was crossing into that territory and I had to say shit like "wise up dad, I don't think the AA guy really gives a toss how many years you pissed about at uni".

Yeah, I think surgeons were upgraded to be doctors but knocked it back staying misters. Sure some dentists are doctors now too, the orthodontic bastards. 

Having a PhD was rarer in the past so your Da was probably excessively proud of his achievement, especially if he was from a working class background. My Dad was always trying to get me to use my title for inappropriate purposes just cos he was proud of it. Not something I felt myself. 

Sorry to hear of your Da's drinking problem though, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree no? ;)

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

Sorry to hear of your Da's drinking problem though, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree no? ;)

Ouch. I meant more "let the guy fix the fucking car rather than brag about your social climbing endeavours". But fair, it runs in the family. His brother literally drank himself to death, but that was more hardcore shit yourself and go on a four day bender alone alcoholism rather than our brand of I can go days without it, so long as I can still have a drink at night/I'm a drinker, not an alcoholic alcoholism.

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, I think surgeons were upgraded to be doctors but knocked it back staying misters. 

That's harks back to my original point on why I've more respect for surgeons. After so many years of their profession being sneered at and then offered the same title as the cunts that historically thought themselves above them, they've collectively said "nah fuck yer meaningless title".

I’m not sure if it’s the reason for the Mr / Dr distinction. But aren’t the Barber Surgeons of the Middle Ages / Early Modern Era considered to be the fathers of modern surgery? With physicians back then only observing and advising and (quite literally) not getting their hands dirty? Although even if that is the reason I would suggest that it has become an elitist thing to distinguish them from ‘ordinary’ doctors. 

• Like 2