What mood are you in and why?

catmag

I think new born babies are always crying out of discomfort and should always be seen to. But ours is reaching toddler stage now so his personality is being shaped and his behaviour needs punishment and reward.

Far harder work to judge that than the work involved in changing a nappy like.

Primarily you want to avoid rewarding the behaviour you dont want. its more about reward than anything else. You've got to be careful how you punish a child as they will replicate that behaviour to you and others. If you shout at the kid to change their behaviour they will immediately and quite rightly learn that shouting at people is the way to changes the behaviour of others to do what they want.

I'm quite enjoying reading this advice - blokes perspective and all that. Just a tip though lads; don't call them udders in front of the Mrs ;)

Primarily you want to avoid rewarding the behaviour you dont want. its more about reward than anything else. You've got to be careful how you punish a child as they will replicate that behaviour to you and others. If you shout at the kid to change their behaviour they will immediately and quite rightly learn that shouting at people is the way to changes the behaviour of others to do what they want.

you must be a very patient man not to ever shout at your kids.

the hilarious thing is you hear yourself in your child's words because, like you say, they learn behaviour from you. my boy shouts at me "i said no", when he really loses it. which is what we always say to him when he's having a fit because we won't let him watch another episode of dora the explorer.

Edited by Dr Gloom

In reality, who isn't going to shout at their kids when they've been naughty? Psychology is a load of shit anyway.

Bring your kids up to be good people, show them plenty of love, avoid fighting and swearing like a trooper in front of them, support them to stick in at school . . . you won't go far wrong.

you must be a very patient man not to ever shout at your kids.

the hilarious thing is you hear yourself in your child's words because, like you say, they learn behaviour from you. my boy shouts at me "i said no", when he really loses it. which is what we always say to him when he's having a fit because we won't let him watch another episode of dora the explorer.

Learnt it the same way you learnt it, by experience. Once you've seen them do it and you read a psychologist telling you that's what they will do, it sinks in.

In a lot of ways, we have loads of advantages over out parent's generation when it comes to dealing with kids. In a lot ways we are a lot worse too.

I do now deal with everything more calmly and yes it tests your patience. For those most trying moments though (tantrums), there is no point in doing anything, shouting talking or explaining. I could go into early neurology models and current research on brain development at this point but I'll stop.

I'm not a shouter like.

When it comes to that I reckon the bairn will get treated the way we treat each other. She rants and raves. I walk away let her think about it and wait for the apology that inevitibly comes.

Women's insides can't allow them to be rational tbf. And even if they're right, they can't go long enough without asking for some money to buy some shoes to keep you in the doghouse. Poor things.

:lol: This is getting complicated.

I'm the good cop, like. No doubt about it. She's great at bossing me about and telling me off, so bad cop is her natural role. Born to do it, etc.

I'm the good cop, like. No doubt about it. She's great at bossing me about and telling me off, so bad cop is her natural role. Born to do it, etc.

We've moved on past the first 12 months to young toddler and beyond shit.

First 6 months: is he hungry? does he need burping? does he need changing? does he need to go to bed? does he need a cuddle?

You can count his needs on one hand basically and in that order generally too.

You're not expected to know it all - you learn your own way every day and make decisions to the best of your ability. You won't always get it right but it just changes your entire life for the better.

You're not expected to know it all - you learn your own way every day and make decisions to the best of your ability. You won't always get it right but it just changes your entire life for the better.

could not agree with this more, getting to see all the things that the little gaffer sees for the first time is the best, ticked off her first boat ride, first campfire and first night in a tent this weekend.

A foul mood.

Home from work ill. Worked through all last week in the hope it would go away and I was suffering today. Just a virus but im floored.

What is it, you big mong?

:lol:It's a book celebrating mongs and dweebs, the Kickstarter is to raise enough money to keep you off the front cover.

Edited by trophyshy