The Cycling Thread

Geordieracer

My nephew has one and my brother in law is big into his mountain bikes, and won't have got him a shit one. Head to Infinity Cycles in Durham, they're a Cube main dealer, but they sell other brands too, so you'll be able to have a good look and test ride some bikes and get some advice off them.

Anyone had a Cube mountain bike? I'm after a bike but know nothing much about brands etc but some online browsing and the Cube Ltd has caught my eye with it's striking good looks.

Me, had two of them. Canny German bikes and good value for money.

Anybody watching The Tour of Flanders?

Popvytch was in a really nasty fall there like.

I went to this Tooj this year. Amazing weekend. If you enjoy cycling and a pint get yourself on the Ferry and to Belgium for this. Is more or less a national holiday in Flanders. People smashed at 9am on the Kwarmont waiting for it all.

We did a ride on the Thursday and saw a load of pro's out doing recons of sections including the womens winner Ellen Van Dijk and Lizzie Armitstead.

We sat on the Kwarmont to watch the Men come up it 3 times and the women once. The first time the blokes came up it local lad Scott Thwaites was on the front so was really great to see, he saw us and aknowledged us which was great.

The hotel we stayed in had AG2R, Movistar, Belkin and FDJ staying in which was great for someone obssessed with cycling like me :D

Picked the new bike up last night and went out on a ride. Never had a road bike or racer as we used to call them when we were kids. Totally different experience, it's light as owt and dead fast.

Bloke doing the fit reckons he can only remember putting together one bike with a higher saddle position in all his time as a bike mechanic. Freak legs over here. :lol:

Picked the new bike up last night and went out on a ride. Never had a road bike or racer as we used to call them when we were kids. Totally different experience, it's light as owt and dead fast.

Bloke doing the fit reckons he can only remember putting together one bike with a higher saddle position in all his time as a bike mechanic. Freak legs over here. :lol:

:D

Gemmill spotted outside the Badger

stiltBike1.jpg

@@Gemmill what cycling podcasts do you listen to these days? I ask because of Velocast.cc now being capitalist cunts by charging for theirs (which I thought was the best by far).

I have been listening to The Telegraph one and find that pretty decent but not quite as good.

I pay for the velocast one. :lol: tbf, it's £4.99, and you get a preview and after-show for all of the Spring Classics, the Dauphiné and Tour de Suisse and then daily shows throughout the grand tours. Plus This Week In Cycling History, which is class. And they're adding a book review show as well.

They did a sort of mini documentary show toowhere they spent the weekend of Roubaix (I think) with the Trek team too.

It's well worth the money.

Apart from that, I haven't listened to any yet, but Rouleur magazine have a podcast which may be worth a listen.

I think people who signed up early doors got a lower price. I'd pay £8 for it though. Try it for this month cos you're gonna get 20 odd shows. You can always cancel it after that if you don't think it's worth it.

Not a pisstake for once.

I'm thinking of dipping my toe in but one of the biggest offputs is hours of research and opinion to wade through. Have you got clippy shoes?

I have, aye. Shimano ones, although I'm not sure of the exact model.

I'm no expert, but I think in the past one of the biggest fuckups you could make is getting something with a poor groupset (which is basically your brakes, chainrings, sprockets and gears). But I was listening to a podcast recently and they were saying that cos of the trickle down improvements, it's actually quite hard to do that now, and even Shimano Sora, which is their bottom end road groupset and used to be heavily criticised isn't gonna give you any bother these days.

They reckon the Shimano Tiagra is as good as their top end stuff was a few years ago.

Anyway, like I say, I'm no expert and someone like wykiki would know a lot more than me.

I didn't realise until today how close the tour was coming to Chelmsford on Monday - it's the other side of town to me but the route follows bits of rides I do on a semi-regular basis.

Not 155k of course - I'm no Gemmill.

:lol: 50 mile is my upper limit so far. I'll get there though. :razz:

Before I moved south I did a loop through Sunderland/Stanley/Consett/Gateshead back to Shields a few times which worked out at 64 miles which is a 100k. The road past Beamish up to Stanley is wonderful.

Sounds canny, was some of that on the disused railway that I think is something like route 80 on the national cycle network? I think it runs all the way from Stockton to Shields.

I want to get out on some longer rides eventually. You can download the gps route for the Hell of Hexham Sportive, so I'm gonna do that and just pick bits of it to do cos even the short course 52 miles has 5000ft of climbing, and I'm not ready for that yet!

Sounds canny, was some of that on the disused railway that I think is something like route 80 on the national cycle network? I think it runs all the way from Stockton to Shields.

I want to get out on some longer rides eventually. You can download the gps route for the Hell of Hexham Sportive, so I'm gonna do that and just pick bits of it to do cos even the short course 52 miles has 5000ft of climbing, and I'm not ready for that yet!

I used to do the bits of the cycle network from Sunderland to Consett through Washington and then down to Blaydon on my MTB and stick to the A183/693/694 on my road bike as altenatives. The paths aren't exactly seriously off-road so I used slicks but they're still too much for a road bike.