The Cycling Thread

Geordieracer

Im guessing you're in the red zone on this too?

Average is 171bpm, so I think that's a yes. :lol: it doesn't help that the segment starts 100m or so from my house, so I'm always completely cold going into it, but it's still annoying me.

FTP is your threshold power, right? So basically that would be your on the limit sustainable power for a defined period (20 minutes or something?) - is that right?. How did you test for that, and is it something that varies with fitness?

I'm sure I've read of ways to test it before, but can't remember. I did a max heart rate test on a treadmill, which was brutal. :lol:

Average is 171bpm, so I think that's a yes. :lol: it doesn't help that the segment starts 100m or so from my house, so I'm always completely cold going into it, but it's still annoying me.

FTP is your threshold power, right? So basically that would be your on the limit sustainable power for a defined period (20 minutes or something?) - is that right?. How did you test for that, and is it something that varies with fitness?

I'm sure I've read of ways to test it before, but can't remember. I did a max heart rate test on a treadmill, which was brutal. :lol:

Get out and do a warm up first man, then smash it!

FTP is Functional Threshold Power. Joe Friel is a world leading trainer and works closely with Training Peaks. Have a read of it here

I have tested it using a 20min ramp test on my home trainer and using a website called TrainerRoad. Awesome bit of kit. If you want to know have a look at Watt Bike, the information they give you is really great. They give you custom HR zones and your power profile.

I do a Ramp test every 6-8 weeks to see how I am doing. It goes up and down with fatigue etc.

RaceShape you can see how you're doing on segments v others and see how to beat them :lol: See at the end of that segment, you drop off really quickly, that could be the 1s you're loosing kid ;)

:lol: aye I sit up at the end, partly cos I don't know where the segment ends, but mostly cos I'm fuckaroo'd. I'm just gonna have to keep powering on through! Or do it later in the ride.

Cheers for the links, gonna have a read through those. I love owt like this.

:lol: aye I sit up at the end, partly cos I don't know where the segment ends, but mostly cos I'm fuckaroo'd. I'm just gonna have to keep powering on through! Or do it later in the ride.

Cheers for the links, gonna have a read through those. I love owt like this.

If you have a turbo trainer thats compatible with TrainerRoad I highly recommend it. Training with power is more effective than training with HR.

That segment aint hilly at all, its a pure power segment that. Get warmed up and you will take it man! :D

Never really used Strava before.

Do you need to have the premium version to have access to your power output and heart-rate and that? Or are you using bike computers?

:lol: it feels like a mountain at the time, but I know it's a short incline at best.

Thinking of maybe getting a turbo trainer when the winter hits, so if you've got any advice on what to get that would be appreciated. They seem to start canny cheap, but I don't know if that's cos they're shite. It would probs be in the garage so not fussed if it's noisy, unless it was enough to wind the neighbours up!

Do you need to have the premium version to have access to your power output and heart-rate and that? Or are you using bike computers?

I use a Garmin forerunner 305 which is basically a GPS and HRM watch, but it's really for running. You can get a thing that allows you to stick it on your handlebars though - doesn't look very pro, but gives you speed, cadence (with a sensor which I haven't got) and all the rest.

There are a few things on Strava that are premium, but I'm not sure if power by segment is. I know power curve and suffer score both are.

It's worth hoying on your phone and using the free version anyway.

I use a Garmin computer. I have premium which allows me to get custom HR zones, but you dont need premium to see power or HR data. Just a HR strap. If you can get a HR strap that works with your phone I am sure that will work too.

:lol: it feels like a mountain at the time, but I know it's a short incline at best.

Thinking of maybe getting a turbo trainer when the winter hits, so if you've got any advice on what to get that would be appreciated. They seem to start canny cheap, but I don't know if that's cos they're shite. It would probs be in the garage so not fussed if it's noisy, unless it was enough to wind the neighbours up!

:lol:

I use mine for winter use mostly. I have a Tacx Flow, its mega :)

wykiki, does your Garmin have maps on it? I can upload a route to my watch, but it has no maps so the route just appears as a black line with an arrow on it - works fine but it would be nice to just be able to set off and know I could find my way back from somewhere with a bit of direction from the computer.

Mine does back to start, but only by reversing the route you've already done.

Will look into the Tacx, cheers.

I use a Garmin computer. I have premium which allows me to get custom HR zones, but you dont need premium to see power or HR data. Just a HR strap. If you can get a HR strap that works with your phone I am sure that will work too.

Ah so the normal version lets me track power output? Excellent. :)

wykiki, does your Garmin have maps on it? I can upload a route to my watch, but it has no maps so the route just appears as a black line with an arrow on it - works fine but it would be nice to just be able to set off and know I could find my way back from somewhere with a bit of direction from the computer.

Mine does back to start, but only by reversing the route you've already done.

Will look into the Tacx, cheers.

No, I have the 500 which like yours, I can load routes onto it, but you follow a line.

Its ok for road stuff, but when I am MTBing in the Dales or what not I usually print map segments out. The Garmin 1000 is supposed to be mint like.

I have this trainer, but I didnt pay that much for it. Wait for the sales later in the year! I paid about £200 for mine. Infact, this is a decent price atm

Ah so the normal version lets me track power output? Excellent. :)

Aye

You just dont get the function of a power profile thats all. You can see an approx power output. If you were to use a power meter and use premium you get a power profile and you can use the fitness freshness stuff on it.

No, I have the 500 which like yours, I can load routes onto it, but you follow a line.

Its ok for road stuff, but when I am MTBing in the Dales or what not I usually print map segments out. The Garmin 1000 is supposed to be mint like.

I have this trainer, but I didnt pay that much for it. Wait for the sales later in the year! I paid about £200 for mine. Infact, this is a decent price atm

The second link is to a cycleops one, but that's different to yours isn't it? They any good?

Wiggle seem to be pretty good on price and are forever hoying decent discounts on things, so will keep an eye out, cheers.

The second link is to a cycleops one, but that's different to yours isn't it? They any good?

Wiggle seem to be pretty good on price and are forever hoying decent discounts on things, so will keep an eye out, cheers.

Aye Cyclops ones are decent. I am having some wheels built up at the moment with a Cyclops power hub in :bunny:

Do you just track your heart rate whilst doing your turbo trainer sessions in the winter?

I track my HR when I am on the turbo, when I race and when I am doing HR specific training. I.e a recovery ride where I want to keep my HR down, or if I want to work in a specific zone.