Ronnie James Dio

JonGoodwyn

I'm not familiar with Rodger's work so again couldn't comment

I remember a mate saying he'd read an interview with Dio a while ago where he said he was pround to have been involved with what he saw at 3 definitive HR/HM albums - Rising, Heaven and Hell and Holy Diver - I think the latter was pushing it a bit but I also read a tribute in the Guardian yesterday which suggested Dio was somehow a "lesser God" when he worked along side Blackmore and Iommi - I disagree - I think he brought the best out of them so deserves full deity ranking.

I've said in the past that I don't like how when someone dies they suddenly become "perfect" but thinking about and listening to Dio I genuinely feel he deserves the plaudits.

I'm on a client site and Youtube is blocked otherwise I'd give you some links to Rodgers.

As for your last bit - I agree. As I said earlier, the operatic style of his voice sometimes irritated me, but irrespective of that - I can't dispute the man's talent. He was genuinly good. A bit of an unsung hero I suppose outside the rock circles.

Aye, Admittedly I'm not particularly old, but for as long as i'd been aware of him he'd been regarded as one of the truely talented greats, and a leading face/voice in terms of Heavy Metal vocals. His style, in a way, epitomized the genre.

Paul Rodgers was in Free and Bad company, A bit more bluesy than the others mentioned, but a quality singer none the less

A true Legend in every sense of the word. Quite possibly the best voice ever in hard rock/metal. R.I.P. Ronnie

:D Definitely a strong contender, though I'd put Robert Plant , Steven Tyler and Ian Gillan in there too.

I only really know Gillan's voice aut of those to any depth but I don't think any of them match Dio for "proper" singing - ie carrying a song without shouting/screaming or going full out.

I was listening to the first Rainbow album this morning and his singing on Catch the Rainbow is breathtaking.

Not wanting to hijack the thread - you'd have to include Paul Rodgers in that list. Particularly in respect to the bit in bold.

Plant has waned in his latter years, but Dio definitely did not. They played a HaH track on Rock Radio yesterday (the whole day was dedicated to him) which was recorded live 2yrs ago (when he was 65). He was pitch perfect. His operatic style didnt always appeal to me if I'm honest, but as I said earlier in the thread; Dio had power as well as range - unlike many of his contemporaries. He also had the ability to do it live, for a whole gig too.

I heard an interesting fact yesterday also. Apparently, Dio never needed to warm up. He just walked out and sang like that straight off the bat. :o

Without a shadow of a doubt.

I'd also add Steve Perry of Journey (I appreciate it's totally different type of voice) but listen to Open Arms from the Live in Houston DVD absolutely spellbinding.

A true Legend in every sense of the word. Quite possibly the best voice ever in hard rock/metal. R.I.P. Ronnie

:razz: Definitely a strong contender, though I'd put Robert Plant , Steven Tyler and Ian Gillan in there too.

What no ginger Josh? :o

Ahh dont start me on all of that mans attributes! :D:D I love Josh's voice, as I do Bono's. But here we're talking about the ultimate ROCK voice. I rekon Robert Plant, in his day was the best.