Ronnie James Dio

JonGoodwyn

Ex-lead singer of Rainbow and Black Sabbath, and for Heaven & Hell as well as his own band Dio lost his battle with Stomach Cancer today

One of the most iconic, influencial and recognisable voices in Rock and Metal, still making new music and touring, sounding as good as ever aged 67.

Pretty gutting, was due to see him in the summer a couple of times but he had to cancel all appearences due to poor health.

A very sad day for Heavy Metal music, and music in general

RIP :icon_lol:

Edited by JonGoodwyn

Went to see Dio at the Playhouse in Edinburgh in about 86 or 87.....was sort of dragged along, but it was fuckin great. He made a lot of noise for someone who was about the size of Wayne Routlegde :icon_lol:

rip

RIP

Just downloaded a full Rainbow discography a couple of weeks ago (I have all the vinyl) so that's this weeks train listening sorted (with the Sabbath albums as well obviously).

Also first concert I ever went to was Sabbath with him in 1980 - great night.

I'd never heard of him either, Dio sounds like the sort of name Renault or Fiat come up with for their runtier models. Should've picked something more metal like Satan or Ramrod.

Still, RIP.

I wondered if it was the end for him a few months ago, but hoped he would recover. Partially for my own selfish reasons tbh as I missed seeing them in Manchester last year and I'd would have liked to have seen them.

The man could scream like - but had power with it, unlike many of his contemporaries. Proper Rock Legend.

Never heard of him Tbh. Rip

You can smell the hippy juice in this thread.

:o

Great rock voice, though in any interviews Ive seen him in I didnt like him.

A true Legend in every sense of the word. Quite possibly the best voice ever in hard rock/metal. R.I.P. Ronnie

:o Definitely a strong contender, though I'd put Robert Plant , Steven Tyler and Ian Gillan in there too.

A true Legend in every sense of the word. Quite possibly the best voice ever in hard rock/metal. R.I.P. Ronnie

:D Definitely a strong contender, though I'd put Robert Plant , Steven Tyler and Ian Gillan in there too.

What no ginger Josh? :o

:o Definitely a strong contender, though I'd put Robert Plant , Steven Tyler and Ian Gillan in there too.

By the way Plant's voice has gone hence why Zep keep cancelling their reunion.

Rip Ronnie, you weren't my thing but no fucker deserves to die of stomach cancer.

I only really know Gillan's voice aut of those to any depth but I don't think any of them match Dio for "proper" singing - ie carrying a song without shouting/screaming or going full out.

I was listening to the first Rainbow album this morning and his singing on Catch the Rainbow is breathtaking.

:D Definitely a strong contender, though I'd put Robert Plant , Steven Tyler and Ian Gillan in there too.

I only really know Gillan's voice aut of those to any depth but I don't think any of them match Dio for "proper" singing - ie carrying a song without shouting/screaming or going full out.

I was listening to the first Rainbow album this morning and his singing on Catch the Rainbow is breathtaking.

Not wanting to hijack the thread - you'd have to include Paul Rodgers in that list. Particularly in respect to the bit in bold.

Plant has waned in his latter years, but Dio definitely did not. They played a HaH track on Rock Radio yesterday (the whole day was dedicated to him) which was recorded live 2yrs ago (when he was 65). He was pitch perfect. His operatic style didnt always appeal to me if I'm honest, but as I said earlier in the thread; Dio had power as well as range - unlike many of his contemporaries. He also had the ability to do it live, for a whole gig too.

I heard an interesting fact yesterday also. Apparently, Dio never needed to warm up. He just walked out and sang like that straight off the bat. :o