Spain win 2010 WORLD CUP.

Park Life

Rio Ferdinand not a big player :angry: . Captain of the most important football country in the world, who has over the last five years demonstrated he's as good as any defender on earth. Our chances have taken a battering with him gone, only Rooney or Gerrard missing would've been a bigger blow.

What pairing would you go for Stevie?

Without any doubt King and John Terry. Redknapp made a good point in the paper yesterday saying that 6 days between games is more than enough for Ledley, fair enough he's a cripple, but you don't see him make many mistakes, he's a great player, people who judge him on a shakey show against Mexico should watch more football.

Agreed. With Spurs they were playing him with 4/5 days rest. Play him opening match get points on the board and give him a longer rest against the 4th side if needed.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the world cup thread, not the "englands world cup thread"

I love the world cup, no one said we don't like reading about it, can't wait till it starts and all the predictions and fiction turn into fact frankly.

Ok then Bog Botherer, where do you think England will place in this World cup?

Emile Heskey, striker, 58 caps 7 goals

Rene Higuita, keeper, 68 caps 8 goals

José Luis Chilavert, keeper, 74 caps 8 goals

Penalty taking keepers?

Well yes, but they're still 'keepers who've scored more than a striker. It's not like you're guaranteed a penalty every game, but you could argue a striker should at least get once chance per game, certainly a striker for a team like England.

Penalty taking keepers?

Well yes, but they're still 'keepers who've scored more than a striker. It's not like you're guaranteed a penalty every game, but you could argue a striker should at least get once chance per game, certainly a striker for a team like England.

Heskey is a link striker and predominantly rotates the third attack phase. :angry:

Sheringham who played a similar role and took the odd pen was 11 in 51 for England. He must be crap as well. <_<

Edited by Park Life

Penalty taking keepers?

Heskey is a link striker and predominantly rotates the third attack phase. :angry:

Sheringham who played a similar role and took the odd pen was 11 in 51 for England. He must be crap as well. <_<

1 in 5 is better than 1 in 10

I can't believe you're saying that Heskey is as good as Teddy Sherringham so I'll have to conclude you're on the Wind Up.

Penalty taking keepers?

I can't believe you're saying that Heskey is as good as Teddy Sherringham so I'll have to conclude you're on the Wind Up.

How is 7 in 58 - 1 in 10 ?

Where did I say he was as good?

The role is similar neither were/are the spearhead striker. ie when CR was still at Man U - Rooney's strike rate dropped cause he was played deeper and to the left of a front rotating 3. Heskey is a link striker for England he comes deep and rotates the ball for the oncoming midfield or heads for the main striker comng onto the ball.

If the ball is played down the middle then Heskey comes short to head it for the striker to run onto - Rooney.

He is shit at finishing like, but that isn't his role for England.

FWIW Crouch is a better finisher, but isn't as dominant in the air as Heskey even with his giraffe genes. Heskey is twice as fast as well.

Wonder how the old Francis/Mariner combo would fare these days...Both with good pace and skill.

Edited by Park Life

Penalty taking keepers?

The role is similar neither were/are the spearhead striker. ie when CR was still at Man U - Rooney's strike rate dropped cause he was played deeper and to the left of a front rotating 3.

Ok, 1 in 5 is better than 1 in 8

Your implication seemed to be that goal records are not important, that TS didn't score goals but was still a good player.

If, however, you're suggesting England play better with Heskey than without I'd have to disagree. I just think that we don't have other options. That doesn't make this strikeforce good, just the best that we've got. We could afford to play Teddy because of the talent in midfield and the clinical nature of our strikers. Shearer didn't necessarily carve out chances himself, but could be relied upon to finish the chances that came his way. Rooney is less exact in his finishing, but is more likely to do the unexpected.

Rooney has played on his own up front and scored a bucket load, why does he now need a link striker to feed him goals? He doesn't at club level?

Penalty taking keepers?

The role is similar neither were/are the spearhead striker. ie when CR was still at Man U - Rooney's strike rate dropped cause he was played deeper and to the left of a front rotating 3.

Ok, 1 in 5 is better than 1 in 8

Your implication seemed to be that goal records are not important, that TS didn't score goals but was still a good player.

If, however, you're suggesting England play better with Heskey than without I'd have to disagree. I just think that we don't have other options. That doesn't make this strikeforce good, just the best that we've got. We could afford to play Teddy because of the talent in midfield and the clinical nature of our strikers. Shearer didn't necessarily carve out chances himself, but could be relied upon to finish the chances that came his way. Rooney is less exact in his finishing, but is more likely to do the unexpected.

Rooney has played on his own up front and scored a bucket load, why does he now need a link striker to feed him goals? He doesn't at club level?

Beacuse world class international sides who will outposses you and have 4 world class defenders are a different kettle of fish to the average PL collection of muppets. Primarily against the top 7/8 sides in the world we have to play deeper, whereas Man U play much further up the park and their m/f often control ball at the half way line and futher. So the Link player is of primary importance for England so that the striker isn't disconnected for long periods. Against the big sides we will basically be counterattacking, SWP, Lennon and Rooney will come into their own. Pace is critical these days, especially when pure techinical players are at a premium.

Heskey will do a job and has had some very good games for Eng...I also strangely believe Capello knows what he is doing and what he wants.

Edited by Park Life

Beacuse world class international sides who will outposses you and have 4 world class defenders are a different kettle of fish to the average PL collection of muppets. Primarily against the top 7/8 sides in the world we have to play deeper, whereas Man U play much further up the park and their m/f often control ball at the half way line and futher.

Heskey will do a job and has had some very good games for Eng...I also strangely believe Capello knows what he is doing and what he wants.

You believe the Algerian, American and Slovenian back fours are better than Premiership teams? You're mental.

Sure the Spanish, Italian and Brazilian defence are outstanding, but I don't think they're suddenly going to crumble when Heskey's fat arse wobbles a bit then falls down.

We hear it time and again, the one thing defenders fear most is pace. and Heskey not only has no pace of his own, he slows the rest of the team down too. Heskey will no doubt work his arse off, and he's one of the players that really seems to list an England cap as the pinnacle of his career, which is great, but I just don't rate him at this level.

Oh and I'm absolutely sure that Capello knows more about football than you or I and knows exactly who to pick to get the best from the system he wants to play. That doesn't magically make Heskey a good international striker. And it doesn't magically gloss over the fact that it's difficult to see where the goals are going to come from if Rooney either doesn't perform, gets crocked or doesn't get the service.

As an aside J.Cole will have a good tournament, as will Hart I reckon. But I've not seen anything from Lampard or Gerrard at this level, despite them both being midfielders who can legitimately claim to be up there with the best of them. If they do click I think we're suddenly a different animal. With Barry providing cover, Gerrard and Lampard spraying the ball around, taking the game by the throat and dominating the opposition as we've seen them do time after time in the league, we'll be a far far better team.

Still, Semis against Brazil and then a third place win against Germany. That's my revised prediction

I said top 7/8 sides in the world. :angry:

At a short knockout tournament there isn't the luxury of changing formations per game Mr Fish. You have to set a pattern and stick to it and the understanding that comes from that, all you get against weaker sides is more posession higher up the park. The overall gameplan is weighted to come into its own at the business end of the World Cup.

I said top 7/8 sides in the world. <_<

At a short knockout tournament there isn't the luxury of changing formations per game Mr Fish. You have to set a pattern and stick to it and the understanding that comes from that, all you get against weaker sides is more posession higher up the park. The overall gameplan is weighted to come into its own at the business end of the World Cup.

I know that full well, but I can't see how any of this is proof that England have anything but a side that is not as strong as it has been, nor is it proof that Heskey is good enough for this level? :angry:

The amount of Irish people who desperately want England (and France) to fail at this thing is annoying and incredibly petty. Also, people saying "England wont win the world cup" need to cop on too, sure Spain might have a better squad, Brazil and Argentina might have better individuals but it is still a very strong England team in most areas, in any case, the best team on paper often doesn't win the world cup.

Honestly, I just hope the team who performs the best and cheats the least wins the thing.

..................James.....

Johonson.. King.... Terry..... Cole

...............Barry/Carrick............

.............Gerrard...Lamps.....

..SWP/Milner............

.................................Rooney...

..................Heskey.................

Edited by Park Life

Johonson.. King.... Terry..... Cole

...............Barry/Carrick............

.............Gerrard...Lamps.....

..SWP/Milner............

Rooney playing off Heskey? :angry:

I reckon he'll play somthing like

Johnson.. King.... Terry..... Cole

Gerrard......Barry...Lamps......SWP/Milner..

with either Gerrard on the left or the right.

I think J.Cole should start on the left and Gerrard and BArry should play through the middle with Milner on the right wing

Johnson.. King.... Terry..... A. Cole

Lennon......Gerrard...Lamps......Barry/J.Cole.

..................Crouch.................

My prediction.

Its the world cup thread, not the "englands world cup thread"

I love the world cup, no one said we don't like reading about it, can't wait till it starts and all the predictions and fiction turn into fact frankly.

Ok then Bog Botherer, where do you think England will place in this World cup?

Quarters or semis knocked out by someone like Brazil or someone whose had a decent run against the odds like Uruguay.

So pretty much what everyone else is saying?