Spain win 2010 WORLD CUP.

Park Life

I really like James Richardson and thought Gavin Peacock was excellent. Although he winds me up I think the inclusion of Garth Crooks adds an element to the punditry, Lee Dixon is all right but so many of them are fairly staid and obvious in their comments,

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think Mechico will do Sud Afrikaans.

Agree with Stevie there. On paper they're a better side but the opening game scenario / host nation makes it a funny one.

I really like James Richardson and thought Gavin Peacock was excellent. Although he winds me up I think the inclusion of Garth Crooks adds an element to the punditry, Lee Dixon is all right but so many of them are fairly staid and obvious in their comments,

I quite like dixon and keown

clarke carlisle impressed me when he made a few appearances on MOTD too, intelligent bloke

Agree with Stevie there. On paper they're a better side but the opening game scenario / host nation makes it a funny one.

Nah.

:icon_lol: They're odds-against which is good considering they're a far better side like.

Nah.

:icon_lol: They're odds-against which is good considering they're a far better side like.

Germany v Serbia has got potential and I see Paraguay as the surprise team (for betting purposes) this time.

Nah.

Germany v Serbia has got potential and I see Paraguay as the surprise team (for betting purposes) this time.

I don't fancy meeting either of them in the last 16

Guest The Three Lions

Nah.

I don't fancy meeting either of them in the last 16

Why not? We'd piss on them both. Croatia are proven better than both of them sides, and look what happened there. There's no unknown quantities at this World Cup, we have much better players than sides like that. Our World Cup starts in the Semi's. That's our judgement day.

would we really piss on the germans though stevie? they're just the sort of side that we consistently fail to raise our game against in big tournaments.

remember that for all our quality players, we have only progressed past the quarter finals of the world cup once since we won it 1966. england are big time chokers. failure is ingrained in the players' minds.

Guest The Three Lions
would we really piss on the germans though stevie? they're just the sort of side that we consistently fail to raise our game against in big tournaments.

remember that for all our quality players, we have only progressed past the quarter finals of the world cup once since we won it 1966. england are big time chokers. failure is ingrained in the players' minds.

....AND we're just the sort of side they fail to raise their game against too. I read an astonishing fact in Four Four Two not so long ago. Germany have never beaten Brazil, Argentina, Italy, England or France in 90 minutes 11 v 11 in major competition. We've won two of the last three proper matches against them 1-0 in Charleroi and the 1-5 in Munchen, they're average plodders at best with not one star player. Ballack was their best player, would he have got in the England team?

failure is ingrained in the players' minds.

That's bollocks.

why is it bollocks?

why do we always lose on pens? a lot of it psychological if you ask me, a problem the germans don't have because their players are used to winning, not choking, on this biggest stage.

maybe england will prove me wrong - i hope so - but i wouldn't against the weight of expectation plus our collective failures over the years weighing on the players' minds and resulting in us going out in the quarter finals again on pens to a team like germany, that arguably we should be capable of beating.

That's bollocks.

why is it bollocks?

why do we always lose on pens? a lot of it psychological if you ask me, a problem the germans don't have because their players are used to winning, not choking, on this biggest stage.

Which of the current German players are used to winning the World Cup or indeed playing in bigger games than the England squad?

That's bollocks.

why is it bollocks?

maybe england will prove me wrong - i hope so - but i wouldn't against the weight of expectation plus our collective failures over the years weighing on the players' minds and resulting in us going out in the quarter finals again on pens to a team like germany, that arguably we should be capable of beating.

Do you honestly think the failures of past teams overly play on the minds of this 23? I don't.

That's bollocks.

why is it bollocks?

Do you honestly think the failures of past teams overly play on the minds of this 23? I don't.

I don't either. Most of this lot have bags of CL experience as well, which most of the Germans bar 3/4 don't.

OK.... now I feel old.

ITALY 1990 - WORLD IN MOTION, ENGLANDNEWORDER

The song:

The old formula was given the red card as Manchester legends New Order - with the help of Lily Allen's dad Keith - produced the first and only cool England World Cup song.

Housey pianos, electric beats, a catchy chorus and (wisely) minimal input from the England ensemble set the scene for John Barnes - who somehow managed to pull off a rap about football.

It goes:

"We're playing for England (En-ger-land), we're playing the song. We're singing for England (En-ger-land), arrivederci its one on one."

The rap goes:

"You've got to hold and give, but do it at the right time, you can be slow or fast, but you must get to the line."

Performance:

The song became England's second number one single. The team reached the semi-finals. Bobby Robson's men lost 4-3 on penalties to West Germany after misses by Stuart Pearce and Chris Waddle. Gazza cried.

Whatever next?? Jade Jagger's dad Mick??

Guest The Three Lions
Heard that the other day and felt quite emotional :lol::icon_lol:

Same here, all nostalgic for me 1990 England top and matching shell suit. I remember me sister bought me a bottle of wine in the shape of the World Cup, first time I was ever pissed.

Guest The Three Lions

Listening to Nessun Dorma brings me back to 1990 too, and of course strong memories of Bobby's last lap of honour at SJP. Life was so easy then, is it just me or did everyone seem happier then, probably rose tinted glasses.

VIINCEROOOO VIIIIIINCEROOOOOOOOO VINCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRROOOOOOOO du du du du du du du du du du du du duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Edited by The Three Lions

Heard that the other day and felt quite emotional :lol::icon_lol:

It's on my iPod - whenever it comes on and I have it connected to the car, up goes the volume.

Far better anthem than 'Three Lions' IMO.