Spain win 2010 WORLD CUP.

Park Life

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, wanting England to do well in the World Cup is like wanting Chelsea to do well in the Champs League.

Them winning will benefit the Premier League, and you're essentially following the players you watch on tv every week.

The other side of the coin is that it's a team of very dislikable individuals.

Regardless, I love the World Cup and want to see England do well and will watch their games and every other game that I can.

Who posted in: Official 2010 WORLD CUP THREAD

Poster Posts

Andrew 44

Park Life 39

The Fish 23

Ant 20

ewerk 19

Kevin 19

Barney 19

Holden McGroin 16

The Three Lions 16

Fucking hell, imagine if they'd actually qualified.

So because Ireland didn't qualify I can't comment on the WC?

And I've said fuck all against England.

Guest The Three Lions

There's some right nobheads on here. Now I know I'm often accused of classing anyone who disagrees with me as a nobhead, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Comments like "our poorest squad in years", and you could pick who would say such things and every time it's who you think it would be. England with Lennon, Johnson, the Coles, Gerrard, we're lightening quick on the break as quick as any team in this us and Holland.

People knocking one out over Brazil, have you actually seen their squad? A midfield consisting of Gilberto Silva who's about 34 and was never that good, Elano who's largely been mediocre when he was at Man City and Kleberson who is fuckin categorically and definitively shite. They have the best who played for Arsenal on loan, and other mediocre footballers. Their best player Kaka, has been shite for 12 month, so who they going to hang their hopes on? Felipe Melo's move to Juventus has been a flop this season and the only one in top form is the kid from Milan. Brazil have never been more beatable, and I honestly believe our first eleven have an even chance of beating them.

Guest The Three Lions
Rio Ferdinand not a big player :angry: . Captain of the most important football country in the world, who has over the last five years demonstrated he's as good as any defender on earth. Our chances have taken a battering with him gone, only Rooney or Gerrard missing would've been a bigger blow.

There you go.

Well we are. Given the fact we're the only country who can change the laws of the game, we made the game, we have the biggest, most succesful, richest, most watched (by far) football league in the world, the oldest footballing heritage, seem to set every trend in the game (eg squad numbers) are universally known above all other footballing countries, I think it's a fair thing to say we're the most important footballing country in the world.

..................James.....

Johnson.. King.... Terry..... A. Cole

Lennon......Gerrard...Lamps.....J.Cole.

.................................Rooney...

..................Crouch.................

My prediction.

Nailed on for the opening game that team.

i think playing crouch against USA being marked by gooch is a bit daft. be better off playing someone with pace upfront . Playing like for like os just playing into their hands

Well we are. Given the fact we're the only country who can change the laws of the game, we made the game, we have the biggest, most succesful, richest, most watched (by far) football league in the world, the oldest footballing heritage, seem to set every trend in the game (eg squad numbers) are universally known above all other footballing countries, I think it's a fair thing to say we're the most important footballing country in the world.

This. Plus we have more professional sides than anywhere else in the world, our football stretches from the very pinnacle to the grass roots.

Also take a look at how many top foreign clubs have the cross of St. George incorporated into their crests.

Given the fact we're the only country who can change the laws of the game

No you don't, Northern Ireland has as much say in the making of laws as England does.

There's some right nobheads on here. Now I know I'm often accused of classing anyone who disagrees with me as a nobhead, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Comments like "our poorest squad in years", and you could pick who would say such things and every time it's who you think it would be. England with Lennon, Johnson, the Coles, Gerrard, we're lightening quick on the break as quick as any team in this us and Holland.

People knocking one out over Brazil, have you actually seen their squad? A midfield consisting of Gilberto Silva who's about 34 and was never that good, Elano who's largely been mediocre when he was at Man City and Kleberson who is fuckin categorically and definitively shite. They have the best who played for Arsenal on loan, and other mediocre footballers. Their best player Kaka, has been shite for 12 month, so who they going to hang their hopes on? Felipe Melo's move to Juventus has been a flop this season and the only one in top form is the kid from Milan. Brazil have never been more beatable, and I honestly believe our first eleven have an even chance of beating them.

I honestly believe it will be between us and Spain. Germany are fucked as well. France have been shit for at least a year.

Agreed, definitely think there isn't as much difference between the Brasil and England first X1 as people make out. Their midifield isnt great apart from Kaka who's been off form. Luis Fabiano has looked class when I've seen him but Rooney's far better. They have a better keeper but the defence is about even on the whole. I reckon Argentina will do better than the Brasilians even with Maradona doing his best to muck it up.

Edited by TicTacWoe

3-0

fifa have fucked it with not banning those fucking horns, part of south african culture my arse they only popped up in football matches in the 90s

Weren't they always giving it the horn in Japan/Korea '02 or have I just imagined that?

Probably just the ringing in my ears, getting up at 5am for games still fucked from the night before.

On the eve of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa, what are you expecting from the tournament?

I’m expecting a festival of football, like the one four years ago in Germany. I think we’re in for a peaceful and magnificent World Cup. The finals are taking place in a country where the people are passionate about football. I think the passion will sweep over the field of play from the stands, and vice-versa.

I expect an African team to make the semi-finals, because they definitely have what it takes.

Lothar Mattaus

Just like the other 31 FIFA World Cup hopefuls, Germany are in the final stages of preparation for the finals. Are Joachim Low’s players ready for the task?

That's very hard to say as an outside observer. Their preparations have hardly been optimal. The loss of Michael Ballack was a blow, as he would have been a dominant personality at the tournament. And the Bayern contingent joined up with the rest of the squad very late.

You mentioned that Germany captain Michael Ballack is out of the tournament. How much of a loss is that?

It's obviously a setback at first, but we’ve seen teams grow closer together in the past as a result of things like this. The players regroup and become even more determined. It also means a change in the hierarchy. The players who’ve been around for a while take another step up the ladder. At the end of the day, Ballack’s absence could even prove a positive.

First-choice keeper Rene Adler is also out of the finals with injury. How much of a setback is that?

I view the situation with Rene Adler a little differently. He’s not as strong a character as Ballack. It's a choker for Rene, and I’m gutted for him, but that’s football. It's a tough business. In any case, Germany don’t have a goalkeeping problem. All three keepers are on a par with Rene Adler - not to detract from the huge contribution he made towards Germany qualifying for South Africa, especially in the games against Russia.

You’ve said the three keepers are all as good as Adler, so who should keep goal in South Africa?

Before Adler’s injury, Manuel Neuer was second-choice and Tim Wiese third. Logically, Neuer should now be No1. Both Wiese and Jorg Butt have plenty of factors in their favour, as both have greater international experience. But Neuer was outstanding at the U-21 European Championship. I believe he has what it takes to provide a strong last line of defence at the World Cup.

In Ballack’s absence, Germany have appointed a new captain for the finals. Is Philipp Lahm the right choice?

I see Philipp Lahm as Michael Ballack’s natural successor. The only thing that bothers me is that he’s a full-back, so by definition he’s not in the midfield area. But otherwise, he has everything you need from a captain. He’s an excellent communicator, be it with the other players, the association, the media or anyone else in the national set-up, and that is vital at a World Cup. He’s respected by everyone, and especially his team-mates at club level. That power base will protect and support him.

The Germans finished third at the 2006 FIFA World Cup and runners-up at UEFA EURO 2008. Where will they finish in South Africa?

Expectations are high, but other countries have caught up fast. Germany lack the brilliant individuals who can settle a match on their own, and that’s been obvious for some years now. But there’s still a huge amount of respect for Germany, which is part of what makes them so dangerous. They have to make the quarter-finals at a minimum. Whether they go any further depends on a lot of factors.

Who are your favourites for the trophy?

I have European champions Spain, Confederations Cup winners Brazil, and Argentina at the top of my list. They can pick from the best players in the world. The Netherlands have great players too, but with the exception of 1974 and 1978, they’ve never really done well at the World Cup. There’s a tendency for their individuals to play to the gallery, and that affects their performance as a team.

I honestly believe it will be between us and Spain. Germany are fucked as well. France have been shit for at least a year.

We have our best chance to win this thing in years... Trouble is, we've been saying this since 1998!

We have our best chance to win this thing in years... Trouble is, we've been saying this since 1998!

It's one of those things in life, it's important to keep saying it and keep believing it will happen. One day it will.

It's one of those things in life, it's important to keep saying it and keep believing it will happen. One day it will.

That might not be true.