Transfer Deadline Day 2011

Christmas Tree

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its blatantly obvious Pardew has sod all to say about incoming players anyhow. He`s simply handed a note 15 minutes prior to a signing and just spouts generic shit hes been told to say.

That's probably right actually :)

Pretty dull at the moment in the middle of the window. Most activity either at the start where teams are keen to get their business done, or at the end where teams are holding out trying to get the best prices. I think they'll find if they're trying that with us that Ashley won't pay 'best prices', preferring instead to take chances on bargain signings or failing that will do a PR job promoting a player we already have on the books.

Pretty dull at the moment in the middle of the window. Most activity either at the start where teams are keen to get their business done, or at the end where teams are holding out trying to get the best prices. I think they'll find if they're trying that with us that Ashley won't pay 'best prices', preferring instead to take chances on bargain signings or failing that will do a PR job promoting a player we already have on the books.

Last day deals it will be...

Last day shit deals and freebies it will be...

fyp

Newcastle expected to miss out on Mevlut Erdinc and Gervinho

NEWCASTLE United’s search for a big-name striker to replace Andy Carroll is set to go on, with targets Mevlut Erdinc and Gervinho poised to move elsewhere.

The Magpies considered both to revamp their forward line, but appear to have been outmuscled by bigger clubs.

Carroll left his local club for Liverpool in a sensational £30m move late on January’s deadline day.

There was much debate as to whether the transfer represented good business for the Magpies, and for those who said it was to be proven right, the money will have to be wisely reinvested.

Unable to land a replacement at the 11th hour, Newcastle successfully muddled through until the end of the season.

Leon Best dramatically kick-started his Tyneside career with six goals, and there were contributions from Peter Lovenkrands and the injury-prone Shola Ameobi.

But none truly convinced – as shown by the fact manager Alan Pardew has since put Best up for sale, along with fellow striker Nile Ranger.

Newcastle will no longer be able to rely on the top-scoring English midfielder in last season’s Premier League either, with Kevin Nolan surprisingly sold to West Ham United.

Nolan was the Magpies’ top-scorer last term, albeit only two of his goals came after Carroll’s departure.

Having landed Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba, Sylvain Marveaux and Mehdi Abeid (whose transfer is expected to be confirmed tomorrow) at minimal expense, Pardew hopes to supplement them with a more high-profile addition to excite or appease the supporters.

Newcastle had a £10m bid accepted for Kevin Gameiro, but lost out when the L’orient striker joined Paris Saint Germain.

They had hoped to land Erdnic from as an expensive consolation prize, with the Turkish international expected to lose his place to Gameiro.

But it has now emerged that PSG have offered the 25-year-old as a makeweight in their latest ambitious offer. The Parisians have benefited from a massive infusion of Qatari cash, and do not seem prepared to let it burn a hole in their pockets.

Their latest target is Lille’s highly-rated playmaker Eden Hazard.

Reports in France claim they have offered £27m plus Erdnic and although Lille are determined to hold onto the Belgian, PSG would now seem to have the resources to break that resolve.

United’s scouts saw plenty of Hazard’s club-mate Gervinho, an Ivory Coast team-mate of Cheick Tiote, last season. But the winger-cum-centre-forward is expected to join Arsenal for around £10m.

Newcastle also watched 18-year-old Connor Wickham but, like a host of other clubs, declined to be drawn into a bidding war for such a young player, and watched him join neighbours Sunderland yesterday.

Although Ba continued an impressive career goalscoring record at relegated West Ham last season – with seven in 12 appearances – Pardew will know he is no more likely to get 38 games out of the Senegalese next season than he is Ameobi.

While rumours Ba failed a St James’ Park medical were swiftly rebutted, it is well known he did so at Stoke City as recently as January. Ameobi made 28 league appearances last season and his record of 236 from an 11-year career is hardly encouraging.

Newcastle have also put their interest in Chelsea’s Daniel Sturridge on the backburner, although in reality they may have little alternative.

The England Under-21 impresses greatly in a loan spell at Bolton Wanderers earlier this season – not least when playing at St James’ Park.

New Blues boss Andres Villa-Boas will therefore have to decide if the Manchester City product is part of his immediate plans at Stamford Bridge, or whether he should be loaned out for more experience.

That decision is unlikely to be made until the Portuguese has had chance to see Sturridge in pre-season.

Journal

Newcastle expected to miss out on Mevlut Erdinc and Gervinho

NEWCASTLE United’s search for a big-name striker to replace Andy Carroll is set to go on, with targets Mevlut Erdinc and Gervinho poised to move elsewhere.

The Magpies considered both to revamp their forward line, but appear to have been outmuscled by bigger clubs.

...count to ten, Leazes! One, two, three......

ALAN PARDEW today insisted that Newcastle United are not finished yet in the transfer market.

The Toon boss is still in the hunt for a left-sided player and a striker, and revealed to the Chronicle today that he is expecting at least one more new face to be on the plane for the Magpies’ trip to the United States.

As it stands, Newcastle – who are still trying to add Swansea City star Neil Taylor to their ranks – could field a team packed with potential if everyone stays fit.

Hatem Ben Arfa and Dan Gosling are back from injury, and have new boys Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux and Demba Ba to go into the mix with Fabricio Coloccini, Joey Barton and Cheick Tiote – plus Jose Enrique if Pardew can hold on to the ace Spaniard.

Speaking on his progress on the transfer front, Pardew told the Chronicle: “We’re all looking forward to getting back to work next Monday.

“The squad is looking healthy and, hopefully, there are still one or two to come.

“They won’t be in before July 4, but we hope to get one in before the tour of America – and there could well be one after the tour.”

We reported last night that United are not in the running for Chelsea starlet Daniel Sturridge, however, the chase for Charles N’Zogbia is thought to be ongoing as the Frenchman looks to secure his release from Wigan.

Newcastle continue to be linked with Reading ace Shane Long, and Pardew’s excellent understanding with Brian McDermott – who he worked with at the Royals – may yet sway a deal.

Pardew said: “We are still looking to get another striker – whether or not they will wear No 9, we will have to see.”

Speculation that United are on the trail of Velez Sarsfield striker Juan Manuel Martinez has also come to the fore in the last couple of days, but interest in Swiss midfielder Tranquillo Barnetta of Bayer Leverkusen is thought to have been dropped by the Magpies.

Reading striker Long is currently on holiday, but said before his departure: “If a club comes in for me we will deal with it. But that hasn’t happened so it’s business as usual as far as I’m concerned.”

Chronicle.

Edited by Barney

1 player before the States trip and one after... one of which is £1m man Neil Taylor.

Presume we've got a £20m striker inbound then if they club are going to keep their word on re-investment.... or was Keegan right yet again? :)

how many left sided players do we need ffs, ben afra, jonas, and marveaux are all capable of playing on the left.

we need two strikers, one of which needs to be a proper guaranteed goals in the league job not shane fucking long.

Rapey has said recently that Marveaux can play either wing. Jonas is right footed-so could play there.

I've seen Ben Arfa playing there too, but I think he's Rapey sees him as a support striker/in the hole.

I'm more concerned about what Craig has pointed out.

Newcastle United.

In:

Yohan Cabaye - 4.3mil

Sylvain Marveaux - FREE

Demba Ba - FREE

Out:

Kevin Nolan - West Ham - 4.5mil (3mil+1.5mil If West Ham are promoted)

Sol Campbell - Released

Shefki Kuqi - Released

Potentially 2 more in. Carroll still not replaced. Enrique, Smith, Ranger & Best reportedly leaving.

He must have high hopes for Kadar/Tavernier/Ferguson/Airey and Vuckic.

Edited by Barney

It's early days so I'm not getting too fearful yet but I mean, there's hardly a precedent worth getting excited over either.

Early days perhaps but for Pardew to start talking about "1, possibly 2 more to come in" are this stage in the summer is massively concerning. He's sowing the seeds for expectation now so they've got a "we told you so" when the inevitable backlash comes in early September.

how many left sided players do we need ffs, ben afra, jonas, and marveaux are all capable of playing on the left.

we need two strikers, one of which needs to be a proper guaranteed goals in the league job not shane fucking long.

Rapey has said recently that Marveaux can play either wing. Jonas is right footed-so could play there.

I've seen Ben Arfa playing there too, but I think he's Rapey sees him as a support striker/in the hole.

Naw i agree with you two, what i mean is if we're actually limited (which we all know we are) why bring in another left sided player when we have at least 3 who are able to play there if we need them to, another left sided player is the least of our worries.

No decent strikers and we're fucked.

Being heavily linked with N'Zogbia too. Although some on here reckon he's no longer a left winger.

I reckon we'll probably end up with Zog for about £10m and a foreign striker for something similar.

Naw i agree with you two, what i mean is if we're actually limited (which we all know we are) why bring in another left sided player when we have at least 3 who are able to play there if we need them to, another left sided player is the least of our worries.

No decent strikers and we're fucked.

Being heavily linked with N'Zogbia too. Although some on here reckon he's no longer a left winger.

I reckon we'll probably end up with Zog for about £10m and a foreign striker for something similar.

Not forgetting Shane Ferguson looks a better prospect at LM than LB, again making the priority of a LM rather strange.

Newcastle United.

In:

Yohan Cabaye - 4.3mil

Sylvain Marveaux - FREE

Demba Ba - FREE

Out:

Kevin Nolan - West Ham - 4.5mil (3mil+1.5mil If West Ham are promoted)

Sol Campbell - Released

Shefki Kuqi - Released

Potentially 2 more in. Carroll still not replaced. Enrique, Smith, Ranger & Best reportedly leaving.

He must have high hopes for Kadar/Tavernier/Ferguson/Airey and Vuckic.

Those incoming 'Free' transfers will have had a signing on fee payment made to the players, as well as a payment to the agents no doubt. =££££ in the millions.

I don't think it matters what Pardew knows or doesn't know, I imagine he has very little input into incomings or outgoings. He's probably been told, "we're getting you two new players," with no more specificity than that, and that's what he repeats.

I reckon there might be a bit of movement in the general market from tomorrow. I read somewhere that with most contracts ending on June 30th, a lot of players become free agents tomorrow. Some move into the next year of their contract, and some have time left on the contract counted only in days. The July 1st to pre-season period should be busy in theory.

Lads, this is Newcastle United not Liverpool. This is not a team that's being assembled to try to win the Premier league or even make a tilt at at spot in Europe. This is a business enterprise owned by Mike Ashley. He doesn't give a fuck about the club winning things or its fans being happy with the Summer signings. Reducing the running costs and staying in the PL is what it's about. We are the Sports Direct of football clubs. Get used to it.

Lads, this is Newcastle United not Liverpool. This is not a team that's being assembled to try to win the Premier league or even make a tilt at at spot in Europe. This is a business enterprise owned by Mike Ashley. He doesn't give a fuck about the club winning things or its fans being happy with the Summer signings. Reducing the running costs and staying in the PL is what it's about. We are the Sports Direct of football clubs. Get used to it.

QFT

The Abeid deal has gone through today.

4 in, 1 out.

2 out, Carroll wasn't replaced.

...and Abeid is 18 and coming into the reserves.

Edited by OzToonFan