Transfer Deadline Day 2011

Christmas Tree

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've spent around £104 million recently and dont even look like breaking the top 4

That is some seriously bad spending

my take on what they are worth

suarez 40m

carroll 18m

henderson 10m

downing 13m

adam 8m

thats 89m IMO so they have over spent around 15-20m ( most of the fee being said is not a official price but its paper talk so it maybe not be 100% correct )

Edited by carrolll40th

They've spent around £104 million recently and dont even look like breaking the top 4

In part funded by the 50M sale of Torres, which looks like it was a good price.

Buying average players at inflated fees is what Dalglish did when he was here. He also managed to dismantle a fantastic team in the process.

Although Dalglish bought a lot of players most of them were for peanuts. He also bought some very good players for for next to nothing so overall his buying wasn't bad when you look at it.

The injury to Shearer did us in more than anything.

Buying average players at inflated fees is what Dalglish did when he was here. He also managed to dismantle a fantastic team in the process.

Although Dalglish bought a lot of players most of them were for peanuts. He also bought some very good players for for next to nothing so overall his buying wasn't bad when you look at it.

I take your point. I was thinking of the likes of Hamilton, Tomasson, Pistone, Andersson, Dabizas and Guivarch though. And I can't recall whether Gavilan was one of his too but there were lots of journeymen. I think the amounts were modest by today's standards but sizeable back then.

On the positive side he brought in Shay, Speed, Hamann and Nobby. Overall I think he was pretty gash on trasfers though, I don't think he improved the side. This is also the man who thought a decrepit Ian Rush was good enough to lead our line.

I take your point. I was thinking of the likes of Hamilton, Tomasson, Pistone, Andersson, Dabizas and Guivarch though. And I can't recall whether Gavilan was one of his too but there were lots of journeymen. I think the amounts were modest by today's standards but sizeable back then.

On the positive side he brought in Shay, Speed, Hamann and Nobby. Overall I think he was pretty gash on trasfers though, I don't think he improved the side. This is also the man who thought a decrepit Ian Rush was good enough to lead our line.

That's a bit harsh on Nick the greek.

For me, not fighting to hold on to Sir Les was as big a loss as Shearer's injury.

For me, not fighting to hold on to Sir Les was as big a loss as Shearer's injury.

Do you think? I always thought he was pretty limited, he was a right sneaky cheat too, usually to cover up his lack of pace or positional play. My abiding memory of him is with both arms in the air in that "what me, ref?" kind of way, usually after a dirty trip. That and his goal against the mackems......

That's it like, they're still giddy from taking advantage of Romans' clear mental handicap issues in getting what they did for Euroboy . Gonna be a canny headache for the workshy stinkers when reality bites.

I was thinking of the likes of Hamilton, Tomasson, Pistone, Andersson, Dabizas and Guivarch though. And I can't recall whether Gavilan was one of his too but there were lots of journeymen. I think the amounts were modest by today's standards but sizeable back then.

Do you think? I always thought he was pretty limited, he was a right sneaky cheat too, usually to cover up his lack of pace or positional play. My abiding memory of him is with both arms in the air in that "what me, ref?" kind of way, usually after a dirty trip. That and his goal against the mackems......

He was limited but a quick look back to refresh the memory the poor bastid didn't have the greatest of partners in the centre of defence; Marcelino, Goma, Andy O'Brien, Robbie Elliot, Azza Hughes, a Caldwell or two but that also speaks volumes about our lack of decent CBs

I find it hard to believe that you'd include JDT as a bad buy. Look what he did after he left us as he was just a kid. And Dabizas put in a few good shifts for us. Plus we got our money back on Guivarch. All in all, he bought some shite but his overall buying was as good as any managers we've had apart from KK perhaps.

Also remember that it was the boards decision to sell Ferdinand as 6 mill was good business for him. He never did play as well for Spurs as he did for us.

I find it hard to believe that you'd include JDT as a bad buy. Look what he did after he left us as he was just a kid. And Dabizas put in a few good shifts for us. Plus we got our money back on Guivarch. All in all, he bought some shite but his overall buying was as good as any managers we've had apart from KK perhaps.

Also remember that it was the boards decision to sell Ferdinand as 6 mill was good business for him. He never did play as well for Spurs as he did for us.

Weren't you saying in another thread that you weren't bothered what Ben Arfa had done in France, it was what he did for NUFC that mattered? Tomasson was shite for us. I accept there were mitigating factors btw but he was still an abject failure in his time here.

Edited by alex

Blyme forgot aboot them selling Torres

Other than that Henderson, Downing and Adam all for Circa £49 million is shocking outlay on some bang average players, especially if they're wanting to break the top four

all this spending may also impact on the financial fair play rules.

but then again - if they do what man city did and give themselves a 400m sponsership......

Downing reminds me of Wilcox a bit, i.e. canny left peg and a decent engine etc. The league's changed a bit since Blackburn won it though.

Downing reminds me of Wilcox a bit, i.e. canny left peg and a decent engine etc. The league's changed a bit since Blackburn won it though.

I'd go along with that, good comparison.

Looks like Dalglish is looking to throw a lot of stuff into the box for Carroll with Suarez nibbling. ;)

Weren't you saying in another thread that you weren't bothered what Ben Arfa had done in France, it was what he did for NUFC that mattered? Tomasson was shite for us. I accept there were mitigating factors btw but he was still an abject failure in his time here.

I agree that he wasn't up to much here but as you say, there were mitigating circumstances. JDT was 21 when we sold him and got our money back. But playing a 20 year old up front on his own out of position and expecting more? Difficult to say with hindsight that it wasn't a mistake to sell him. I certainly don't think that it can be held against Dalglish that he went out and bought him in the first place. As I said, if not for the injury to Shearer things may have been a lot different.