Best and worse players bought on the strength of a good World Cup

Smooth Operator

Was talking about this at work today, Albert was bought on the back of USA 94 performances i'm sure and a lad was insisting that the same was done of Guivarch from France 98 but i've always thought he was already signed before the tournament started and that the first chance we got to see him was in the World Cup where he did nowt.

I remember Liverpool bought Bernard Diomede on the back of France 98 and he never played a game in 4/5 years there, and also El Hadji Diouf and Salif Diao both went to Liverpool basically off the back of beating France in the group stages in 2002 i think it was.

Was talking about this at work today, Albert was bought on the back of USA 94 performances i'm sure and a lad was insisting that the same was done of Guivarch from France 98 but i've always thought he was already signed before the tournament started and that the first chance we got to see him was in the World Cup where he did nowt.

I remember Liverpool bought Bernard Diomede on the back of France 98 and he never played a game in 4/5 years there, and also El Hadji Diouf and Salif Diao both went to Liverpool basically off the back of beating France in the group stages in 2002 i think it was.

That was the case - signed before the fee rocketed so good business - yeah right.

Guivarse was defo done before the World Cup, I remember some of the papers calling him "The French Shearer" then when he eventually got on the pitch for France he was awful and I was wondering what we'd bought.

Did we buy Marc Hottiger after USA94 as well?

Aye. Canny player. I might remember this wrong but I thought Gui'varch (sp?) was signed during the World Cup, or at least the tournament had started before the deal was properly concluded. He was certainly signed before the competition was over (if not before) because I remember him missing a sitter in the final and thinking he looked shit but hoping he'd come good here.

Really good player, almost forgot he existed though, pity he was only with us for a short while.

Working as a coach now over here, as far as I know (for a Swiss side's youth team). I'm surprised at how popular he still is with the fans.

Aye. Canny player. I might remember this wrong but I thought Gui'varch (sp?) was signed during the World Cup, or at least the tournament had started before the deal was properly concluded. He was certainly signed before the competition was over (if not before) because I remember him missing a sitter in the final and thinking he looked shit but hoping he'd come good here.

A deal was agreed on 11th June, the day before the opening game.

According to what I found on google anyway.

Not World Cup but Euros, Man Ure bought Arsegreaves after an ok Euros

Where is he now?

Injured. Good player though. He was a target for a while though and not just bought on the back of good World Cup (I assume you're on about Germany '06). I thought Man Utd signed him a year after that anyway rather than straight after the tournament.

Definitely woul;dn't say Hargreaves was a flop bought after a competition. Man U were after him for ages and he certainly proved capable when he was fit.

in other words, Shut up Wyki you mug

:lol:

Jordi Cruyff after Euro 96.

In a similar vein Carol Poborsky (sp.).

Porborsky did OK for a couple of seasons I seem to recall.

Not World Cup but Euros, Man Ure bought Arsegreaves after an ok Euros

Where is he now?

25 games in 3 years for £17m

And we thought Owen was a shit deal.

That Berbatov fee is also beginning to look a bit silly.