Hard Work Coming To Fruition Says Academy Chief

Christmas Tree

JOE Joyce believes that four years of hard work and development is coming to fruition as his Under-18s side prepare for Thursday's FA Youth Cup semi-final first leg at Aston Villa.

The current vintage of Academy starlets have been together since schoolboy age and now stand two games away from becoming the first Magpie side since 1985 to reach the final of the showcase junior competition.

And Joyce is confident his boys have what it takes to go on and lift the prestigious trophy.

"Any team that gets to this stage must feel they have a chance of winning the competition and we're no different - it's been a fantastic run so far and the lads are full of confidence," he told nufc.co.uk.

"There is a real steely determination among the squad and they realise the importance of this fixture.

"Most of them have been together for a number of years now and there's a terrific bond.

"That development from playing together over a period of about four years is coming to fruition now.

"They are looking stronger than ever before and this run has been reward for their hard work.

"But with that we have great ability and real talent all over the team.

"This is latest step along their road to becoming professional footballers and it's a good test to see if they can handle the pressure.

"But everybody is looking forward to it and it's a great opportunity for the players to show what they can do."

He added: "We will play our normal game at Villa like we have done away from home all season and that has been successful.

"But we have to remember that after this game it's only half-time. We'll have the second leg to look forward to at St.James' Park and we fancy our chances over two legs against anyone."

Gaffer: Big Day For Football Club

AMID the euphoria of promotion to the Premier League, Chris Hughton says it is important not to forget what is "a very big day for the football club" with United's Academy side set to take on Aston Villa in the FA Youth Cup semi-final.

Hughton and all of his senior coaching staff will be at Villa Park on Thursday night to offer their support to Joe Joyce's youngsters during the first-leg clash.

And, ahead of the game, the Magpie chief told nufc.co.uk: "This is a very big day for the football club.

"Amid all the euphoria of our promotion we must not forget that our Academy side have this massive game.

"All of the senior coaching staff will be there at Villa Park and we wish them all the very best.

"But I've got every confidence in them and I've been hugely impressed with their progress this season.

"Having your Academy side enjoy a good run in the Youth Cup always keeps a buzz around the club and they have done tremendously well.

"But we're now hoping they can go one step further and reach the final of what is a terrific competition."

• 1 year later...
Has it came to fruitation yet? One would think it's pretty darn ripe by this stage.

What the hell is fruitation?! ;)

When Xisco finally scores at NUFC :blush:

:D

who with? ;)

There was a bit in the paper this morning saying that Ricky Sbragia is due to take over as academy boss.

Where was that mate?

Even though he'd need fumigating, it wouldn't be the worst thing we could do. Seen as a very good coach iirc.

Be nice to see it come to fruitation ;)

We won the FA Youth Cup in 1961?, and again in 1985. In 1985 Gazza was the only player to come through the ranks and was sold. Through the years, I don't know how many times someone has tried to sell this shite line to supporters of the club.

And once again, they either take it in, or in the case of idiots like MF, make daft postings like the prick on the outside of the circle in a pub trying to say to the others "look at me, look at me, aren't I amusing".

;)

Only believe in these soopa doopa youngsters when you see them, and even then, under this owner, they will be sold or "want to go", or "turn down a great offer" just like Gazza did.

We won the FA Youth Cup in 1961?, and again in 1985. In 1985 Gazza was the only player to come through the ranks and was sold. Through the years, I don't know how many times someone has tried to sell this shite line to supporters of the club.

And once again, they either take it in, or in the case of idiots like MF, make daft postings like the prick on the outside of the circle in a pub trying to say to the others "look at me, look at me, aren't I amusing".

;)

Only believe in these soopa doopa youngsters when you see them, and even then, under this owner, they will be sold or "want to go", or "turn down a great offer" just like Gazza did.

Just clear this one up for me Leazes. Precisely which part of my post that you refer to is idiotic?

;)

Just clear this one up for me Leazes. Precisely which part of my post that you refer to is idiotic?

Stop giving him ammunitation ;)

;)

ena0109l.jpg

FORMER Sunderland boss Ricky Sbragia has been interviewed for Newcastle’s under-18 head coach vacancy.

Sbragia, assistant boss, manager and chief scout during four years at the Stadium of Light, was the most noteworthy candidate in a high-class field for a key role in United’s Academy.

But The Journal understands that former Everton boss Dave Watson – a close friend of United coach Willie Donachie – is in line to get the job.

In derby week it would have been an interesting move for Sbragia, who is a well regarded coach and a popular figure within the game.

He has been carrying out some freelance scouting since leaving his ‘job for life’ at Sunderland back in March as part of a reshuffle that saw Bryan ‘Pop’ Robson take over as top talent spotter. He saw the United role as a perfect chance to get back onto the training pitches. But Watson appears to be the front runner for the job having worked as Wigan’s youth team coach of late.

Newcastle are currently in the process of overhauling their Academy staff, with top Geordie talent spotter Gavin Tait having left the club recently.

The Academy was pinpointed by owner Mike Ashley as one of the key areas where improvement was needed, and the United owner has poured funds into the set-up since taking over.

United have seen Andy Carroll and Steven Taylor develop into first-team players in recent years, with high hopes for Shane Ferguson and Haris Vuckic, the Slovenian wonder kid that they paid six figures to entice to the North East.

But The Journal understands that former Everton boss Dave Watson – a close friend of United coach Willie Donachie – is in line to get the job.

:lol:

''Right lads we need to work on our stand up''