Tim Krul v Steve Harper

Kevin

Who would you prefer  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After looking over some of Krul's moments in a Newcastle shirt I have to think that he will not be here for much longer unless he gets handed the number one spot. Harper's starting to age etc. It would be a tough choice to give to Krul but i'm gona have to say him. Who would you prefer to see in nets? A

also now that we have been promoted I would like to see him get the games from now til the end of the season.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krul has been superb in just about every game he's played in.

Problem is, he's only played in a couple.

I can't see how you could choose him over Harper after 2-3 matches.

I'd agree with your second sentence but I want top spot and think we're better off sticking with Harper until (if) secure that.

Harper isn't really getting any better but he'll do for another season or 2. Krul in the Premier League is a risk, but I do want him to get games as he could prove to be a perfect replacement as no 1 when Harper hangs up the gloves. Keepers can obviously play on for a bit longer than outfield players mind, so it could be a while. Harper will need to cut out the mistakes next season.

i think just give krul some friendlys before 10/11 season i quite like krul but not sure if he would be ready for the prem thrown in at the deep end but harper is getting on a bit. but being a keeper you hardly have to run around for 90mins

maybe he has a season left in him and if we stay up in the prem (which im sure we will get to undoubtedly) then start to ween him in near the end if guranteed to stay up.

(and yes my grammer is crap)

Krul has been superb in just about every game he's played in.

Problem is, he's only played in a couple.

I can't see how you could choose him over Harper after 2-3 matches.

I'd agree with your second sentence but I want top spot and think we're better off sticking with Harper until (if) secure that.

Harper isn't really getting any better but he'll do for another season or 2. Krul in the Premier League is a risk, but I do want him to get games as he could prove to be a perfect replacement as no 1 when Harper hangs up the gloves. Keepers can obviously play on for a bit longer than outfield players mind, so it could be a while. Harper will need to cut out the mistakes next season.

That's a fair point on rating him over a few matches but that is where my 2nd statement comes into plan. I would love to see Krul start the rest of the season but i think everyone knows that it isn't going to happen. Krul will eventually get pissed off and want to leave.

I also read somewhere about Krul being at the airport on his way to Fernebache (sp?) until Dennis not so Wise pulled the plug at the last minute. So he needs games at this age.

Hopefully he'll get plenty of runouts during pre-season, as well as perhaps a couple of matches in the next few weeks.

It's the problem with keepers. Difficult to keep them happy. He knows if he waits a while that he'll probably eventually replace Harper (if he's as good as he appears to be), but does he really want to spend another season on the bench waiting? Especially when he knows he's highly rated and that other clubs want him - although they might be after him as a no 2 as well.

Edited by Tecato

Harper has one bad game and now the Krul bandwagon comes into town.

On a side note, I was having a word with my mate who is a Norwich fan yesterday. He reckons Fraser Forster is class and will play for England eventually.

I genuinely believe Krul will be off in the summer. He very nearly moved last summer and you could see how frustrated he was at our FA Cup exit because he knew he would get no more game time.

As has been said above, I can't see him being happy with being stuck on the bench for the whole of next season (baring a couple of cup matches which we will inevitably play a weakened side :D ). With Fraser Forster having a great season for Norwich and apparent interest by some premiership clubs I think upon his return he will be wanting that place on the bench and will be more willing to sit on the bench waiting for his opportunity than Tim.

I rate Krul and feel sorry for him that he hasn't got enough game time this season. Regardless of Harpers performance yesterday (which baring 1 mistake wasn't bad) He's been good for us this season.

we ahd the best keeper in England and we sodl him

we've not noticed the difference

Harper has been one of our most consistent players but he's 35 so Krul should get in relatively soon I'd have thought

he'll be at a PL club next season at SJP and I doubt any other PL club will come in for him based on a couple of appearances for us in the CL

Get Krul out on loan at a Championship club next season for more experience.

Get Forster on the bench. He's getting great reviews from Norwich fans-questionable kicking though.

Get Krul out on loan at a Championship club next season for more experience.

Get Forster on the bench. He's getting great reviews from Norwich fans-questionable kicking though.

Kicking only requires hours and hours of practice. That will come with age.

The stick Harper is coming in for is well unjust imo. Sure he's made some errors but in large we have been spoiled by the consistency of Given (who was far from perfect but a top keeper, one of the top 3 in the country imo). Krul has looked decent when I've seen him (not much) but at the moment I dont think Id change a thing. Though Id like to see more of Krul. As for Harper being over the hill, what bollocks. Keepers in general have a later peak. I dont see Harper improving but Id certainly not be writing him off. Kneejerk after a couple of mistakes imo. Not 5 mins since people were saying he should be in the England side.

Id stick with Harper for one more season in the PL and play Krul in both cups...give him a good chance and then make him number one season after next.

Then again...we also have Forster.

Can't vote either way on this one...

Harper has IMO never been good enough, sure he's been loyal but he's an average keeper at best. Can't recall him ever dealing with a cross, has little control over his back 4, fails to hold on to the ball regulalrly and isn't as good a shot-stopped as Given was nor most of the first choice keepers in the top half of the Premiership IMO.

Krul is still largely untested - very surprised we didn't give him more first choice opportunity this season tbh.

Think a decent keeper is something we need to be looking at in the summer...

Not 5 mins since people were saying he should be in the England side.

tbh JawD I've pissed myself every time I've read it. Says more about the state of the keeper options for England more than Harper's ability IYAM.

Harper’s lack of urgency drives me mad but he’d get my vote for next season, if only for his experience. Krul’s all action approach would probably unsettle a defence that is going to be under a lot of pressure. Great prospect but not ready for what lies in store.

Its a tough one for me. Harper is as good as he'll get and whilst he's a good shot stopper he doesn't command his box, coem off his line enough and his kicking and urgency aren't good enough. But i do think he's had an excellent season at this level with just a couple of mistakes here and there and has deserved to be number one.

With Krull you see a big dominating keeper (potentially) who when he's palyed has looked like he could be top notch, but is as of yet unproven for a run of games and would be a slight gamble to start with. Then there's Forster who some seem to think is even better than Krull and who is doing the business with Norwich week in and week out.

I tend towards the gamble myself and if he's done well pre-season go with Krull and start him as no.1 but i think Hughton will go Harper and i can understand him doing that.

the thing I like about krul, other than that I think hes probably on par with harper in a lot of areas is his domination of the box, he goes for crosses and he gets them

the thing I like about krul, other than that I think hes probably on par with harper in a lot of areas is his domination of the box, he goes for crosses and he gets them

Yeah, he's missed the odd one, but he looks dominant, he's a big guy and he lets attackers and defenders know he's coming for it and aims to get it! It would be very harsh on Harper, but if we're promoted after tonight i really think he should give Krul the rest of this seasons games. Harper deserves to play in the game we go up in, he's certainly earned that reward, but once achieved, give Krul the last 4 or 5 games, see what he does.

He could easilly want to leave pre-season if a good enough club comes in, but give him these few games and say to him, you're in with a fair shot at starting next season, show us what you can do and he'll be encouraged to stay.

Love these polls.......

28 votes......13 for Krul, 13 for Harper, 2 for.........

you can shoose just to see the result, which counts as a vote but obviously, not for anyone