Papers today

2bias

Carroll is nowhere near ready for England. He's not good enough, and plays in the wrong division to judge him. He might be considered for Euro 2012 after a couple of seasons in the Premiership, but not now.

:icon_lol: I know what you mean but still :D

a poor choice of words but his actual point is bang on

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hips is probably right though. Sounds made up. A bit like when Sven was rumoured to be picking Shola in his squad for the England friendly (was it at SJP?). :D

I'm only saying what was said, A few branches of the media were reporting it today so i though i'd mention it. I agree though he probably isn't ready

• 1 month later...
Scotland boss Levein patient on Andy Carroll switch

Scotland manager Craig Levein has not given up hope of convincing Newcastle United striker Andy Carroll of switching allegiance from England.

Carroll, who has played for England Under-21s, is eligible to represent Scotland through his grandmother.

"I'm tenacious when it comes to these things. We will wait and see what happens," said Scotland boss Levein.

"If the door does close on him for the first-team level at England, then we will certainly pursue it."

Carroll has admitted that former Scottish international Colin Calderwood, a coach at the Magpies, has been encouraging him to consider swapping the white of England for the dark blue of Scotland.

But the 21-year-old 6ft 4in striker has not given up on representing the country of his birth.

Levein added: "I can understand the lad's position. He has been involved in the England set-up and it's quite right that he wants to see out his time in the Under-21s. I can understand that.

"But I think it's about playing international matches and gaining caps."

Meanwhile, Levein has admitted that he would love to see as many Scottish players as possible featuring in the top flight in England. Charlie, in the games I've seen him playing in since I took the Scotland job, has been Blackpool's best player

Levein on Blackpool midfielder Charlie Adam

"The more Scotland players who are testing themselves every week at the highest level, then the better it's going to be," he said.

"It's purely selfish. I'm not a club manager now. I'd love to see all our guys playing at the top level in the Premier League but I don't think that's going to happen."

Rangers' top scorer Kris Boyd is out of contract this summer and has been linked with moves to England's top league, while former Ibrox striker Shota Arveladze wants to take him to Turkish side Kayserispor.

But Levein insists that Boyd alone can decide whether he should remain at Rangers on a new deal, or leave the Scottish Premier League.

"I'm not telling Kris Boyd what to do or what not to do," said the Scotland manager.

"He's had another good season and it's up to him to decide where he plays. If he's still at Rangers next year, he's playing at a fantastically high level.

"If he goes down to the Premier League, then, arguably, he's moving up a level. If he goes abroad, in recent history, some Scottish lads who have gone abroad have improved by doing so.

"It's not my place to say who should go where or who should stay."

As Levein continues preparations for the forthcoming Euro 2012 qualifiers, Charlie Adam looks set to add to his four caps after playing a starring role in Blackpool's dramatic rise to the Premier League.

"Charlie, in the games I've seen him playing in since I took the Scotland job, has been Blackpool's best player," said Levein.

"I think that's widely recognised by the players and the management at the club.

"He has progressed enormously over the last year or so and he is now going to be playing on the biggest stage of all."

As for Adam's club-mate Stephen Crainey, Levein added: "I'll see how he gets on.

"I watched a couple of games and he did OK.

"I'm not going to say he impressed me as much as Charlie Adam did, because he didn't. But he's a guy who I've known from way back at his time at Celtic and we will see."

Levein has yet to hold talks with Barry Ferguson about a potential return for Scotland.

Wouldn't blame him if he considered it. I think it's still worth waiting out for a couple year mind. Then again does he look like he could establish himself as an England player or just grab a few caps. If he went to Scotland he would be a regular in that team and it wouldn't harm their chances of qualification.

No brainer for Carroll. Give himself a couple of years in PL and if he doesnt get the nod then he'll be off to Scotland.

Could come back to haunt him mind, as some players develop later. Dirty Don Hutchison for example. He decided to turn Scottish and was one of the best players in the UK at one point. Even Keegan said that when he was England manager.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Guest alex
No brainer for Carroll. Give himself a couple of years in PL and if he doesnt get the nod then he'll be off to Scotland.

Could come back to haunt him mind, as some players develop later. Dirty Don Hutchison for example. He decided to turn Scottish and was one of the best players in the UK at one point. Even Keegan said that when he was England manager.

Best Don Hutchinson could've hoped for was being a one cap wonder. Carroll's the same. I've got serious doubts he'll ever be a decent PL player never mind an England one. Especially as he strikes me as thinking he's already made it. He's the sort of player who needs to graft a lot more than he does to fulfil his potential because although he's good in the air and has a decent touch (nowt special on either count like) he's hasn't got the attributes to stroll about like he does and be a good player at the same time. Would love him to prove me wrong, obviously.

Best Don Hutchinson could've hoped for was being a one cap wonder. Carroll's the same. I've got serious doubts he'll ever be a decent PL player never mind an England one. Especially as he strikes me as thinking he's already made it. He's the sort of player who needs to graft a lot more than he does to fulfil his potential because although he's good in the air and has a decent touch (nowt special on either count like) he's hasn't got the attributes to stroll about like he does and be a good player at the same time. Would love him to prove me wrong, obviously.

Bit harsh Alex no?

The lad does have a berbatov like swagger on the pitch i agree and probably should work harder. In the sense that when he has done well comin back and helpin defensively, which he does alot, then he should be bustin a gut to get forward again.

Where i think your being harsh is where you say you have serious doubts that he has what it takes to be a good PL striker?

His touch and ariel abilty as you refer to as "decent" and "nothing special" is actually where i lose you. His ariel abilty albeit not perfect is still the best he has had from a striker since les, al and dunc. It can be improved aye but for a lad of what 19? He is showing good potential!

He has just banged in 19 goals last season and i know it was against CCC goalkeepers and denfences but you can only beat whats infront of you and he has.

Give the lad a chance, see what he does in his first full season in PL as 1st choice striker then judge him.

Guest alex

Bit harsh Alex no?

The lad does have a berbatov like swagger on the pitch i agree and probably should work harder. In the sense that when he has done well comin back and helpin defensively, which he does alot, then he should be bustin a gut to get forward again.

Where i think your being harsh is where you say you have serious doubts that he has what it takes to be a good PL striker?

His touch and ariel abilty as you refer to as "decent" and "nothing special" is actually where i lose you. His ariel abilty albeit not perfect is still the best he has had from a striker since les, al and dunc. It can be improved aye but for a lad of what 19? He is showing good potential!

He has just banged in 19 goals last season and i know it was against CCC goalkeepers and denfences but you can only beat whats infront of you and he has.

Give the lad a chance, see what he does in his first full season in PL as 1st choice striker then judge him.

Fair points. He does seem to think he's a better player than he is though so while you can argue at 19 or whatever he has a lot to learn / can get better (I accept that btw) you'd also be looking for a different, hungrier attitude ideally imo. He's been watching too much telly and thinks he's Ibrahimovic.

I don't think I was being harsh though.

Guest alex

I will add this btw, he needs a decent partner (preferably with a bit of pace and movement) to give him a fair crack of the whip next year.

Bit harsh Alex no?

Fair points. He does seem to think he's a better player than he is though so while you can argue at 19 or whatever he has a lot to learn / can get better (I accept that btw) you'd also be looking for a different, hungrier attitude ideally imo. He's been watching too much telly and thinks he's Ibrahimovic.

Striker in "self confidence" shocker!!! ;)

:wub:

I think he's got what it takes personally. He seems to have that little bit of luck too on the pitch which never hurts.

Guest alex

Bit harsh Alex no?

I think he's got what it takes personally. He seems to have that little bit of luck too on the pitch which never hurts.

You've misunderstood my point. It's not about self-confidence. It's about strolling about instead of putting in a decent shift.

Bit harsh Alex no?

;)

You've misunderstood my point. It's not about self-confidence. It's about strolling about instead of putting in a decent shift.

Ok Captain Serious.... :wub:

Guest alex
:wub: I haven't got a massive downer on him btw, I think he's alright. It just worries me a bit about him. I like him for chinning Taylor though.

:wub: I haven't got a massive downer on him btw, ................................................ I like him for chinning Taylor though.

Dear me Alex, this mean you have a massive downer on Taylor. ;)

Noile, if you're from California why do you have a un*on j*ck as your avatar? Or are you one of those yanks who like to think they're English?

this ought to be amusing :wub:

You should've broken out the "he was here long before you..." line.

Kevin just has all kinds of lines associated with him doesn't he

this ought to be amusing :wub:

Orite mate, me n u outside nw!

this ought to be amusing ;)

keyboardwarriorsolo.jpg

this ought to be amusing ;)

keyboardwarriorsolo.jpg

you a mackem in disguise??? I hate mackems ;)