Papers today

2bias

Carroll linked with an England call up.

Does this show the quality is being noticed by the right people or are England just stuck with choice. I think next season will be the time to see if he is ready for England.

Thoughts?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the championship perhaps.

Time will tell. for me he isnt quick enough and every game i saw in the premier league last year also said he wasn't strong enough. technically hes not bad, but needs to improve in every area significantly if he is to become a 10-15 goal premier league striker.

oh and as for england. no. he's about 27th in the pecking order. and rightly so.

people underestimating him now. He's becoming a good player.

So he's ready for the England squad for South Africa?....he's got talent for sure, but as Shearer said a couple of weeks ago he needs to work on every single part of his game. He's got potential, but thats it at the moment. One thing Ive noticed about him is he really doesnt hold the ball up when its played into his feet and theres a defender breathing down his neck. He tries to ride the expected challenge, and almost always gives the ball away cheaply. He did this 3 times in 5 mins v boro and the on the 3rd occasion it led straight to boro's first goal. Nolan could be seen rightly bollocking him in the centre circle before the restart. Lots of work to be done before we're talking England squads.

people underestimating him now. He's becoming a good player.

So he's ready for the England squad for South Africa?....he's got talent for sure, but as Shearer said a couple of weeks ago he needs to work on every single part of his game. He's got potential, but thats it at the moment. One thing Ive noticed about him is he really doesnt hold the ball up when its played into his feet and theres a defender breathing down his neck. He tries to ride the expected challenge, and almost always gives the ball away cheaply. He did this 3 times in 5 mins v boro and the on the 3rd occasion it led straight to boro's first goal. Nolan could be seen rightly bollocking him in the centre circle before the restart. Lots of work to be done before we're talking England squads.

I didn't say he is ready for the England team or squad. The jump to England from a half decent premiership is a big one, never mind a player who has nearly completed his first season in first team football in the 2nd division.

He's improving though and I think he has every chance now of becoming a good premiership player, like a lot of players it depends on the quality of team he is in and the quality of player around him. If NUFC don't progress like they should, then it would sadly be in his best interests to move to a more successful club, the same goes for Steven Taylor, if he wants to fulfill his career.

But I've seen this before and I can see it happening.

Should be seen as praise and recognition for his form and improvement this season but not realistically a possibility...not yet.

Though i do think if he were to be called up, training and maybe playing with that calibre of players would be a wake-up call to how far he still has to go. Would be good for him.

Extremely unlikey to actually happen though.

The worry for me, given his previous behaviour, is that he'll see this as further evidence that he's good enough already. His ego is bigger than his talent already, talk of an England birth will damage his development, not assist it.

The worry for me, given his previous behaviour, is that he'll see this as further evidence that he's good enough already. His ego is bigger than his talent already, talk of an England birth will damage his development, not assist it.

That's also my concern.

He seems to have a little bit of what it takes though. I think he could well be a very big player for us next season.

could be the new Duncan Ferguson........in more ways than one ;)

Does this show the quality is being noticed by the right people or are England just stuck with choice. I think next season will be the time to see if he is ready for England.

Thoughts?

Thoughts, Toby ? That the 'linked with an England call up' are completely made up by the paper(s) you have read it in. My advice is to change the paper(s) you, or your dad, buy.

Thoughts?

Thoughts, Toby ? That the 'linked with an England call up' are completely made up by the paper(s) you have read it in. My advice is to change the paper(s) you, or your dad, buy.

Was also discussed on the Sunday Supplement and seemed a decent topic of discussion. He has come along way and has the makings of a future England player is he keeps progressing like he is currently doing.

Whats my dad got to do with it??!??

Thoughts?

Was also discussed on the Sunday Supplement and seemed a decent topic of discussion. He has come along way and has the makings of a future England player is he keeps progressing like he is currently doing.

Whats my dad got to do with it??!??

Just SnakeHips and his typical patronising, condesending manner mate.

I agree with you that Carroll is showing great promise and if he can take the leap and continue to score and progress his allround game in the PL then and only then can he be realistically considered.

Promise isnt enough to get a call up but its certainly good news that he is getting some recognition.

Edited by Geordie Lad...

Hips is probably right though. Sounds made up. A bit like when Sven was rumoured to be picking Shola in his squad for the England friendly (was it at SJP?). :D

Carroll is nowhere near ready for England. He's not good enough, and plays in the wrong division to judge him. He might be considered for Euro 2012 after a couple of seasons in the Premiership, but not now.

Carroll is nowhere near ready for England. He's not good enough, and plays in the wrong division to judge him. He might be considered for Euro 2012 after a couple of seasons in the Premiership, but not now.

:icon_lol: I know what you mean but still :D