The greatest film scenes ever shot.

Park Life

The greatest film scenes ever shot

We all have film sequences that stick in our minds. Some are shared by many – such as the shower scene from Psycho – others are particular to us. Here our film critic and a panel of leading movie-makers reveal their favourites. What are yours?

Janet Leigh in Psycho. Photograph: Allstar

Who will ever forget the first time they saw the 45-second shower-room murder in Hitchcock's Psycho? I remember 1959 and 1961 as the years when my first two children were born. But the first thing that comes to mind about the year in between was seeing Psycho, which I'd been looking forward to since a radio programme I'd produced the previous October, when Hitchcock had enticingly described Psycho as "my first real horror film". Entering the Plaza, Lower Regent Street, the day the film opened, I passed the cardboard cut-out of Hitchcock in the foyer, from which a tape recording of the Master's familiar Leytonstone undertaker's voice warned us what would happen if we gave away the ending.

Half an hour into the movie, when Janet Leigh stared out at us from the floor, a man sitting in front of me staggered into the aisle and vomited: testimony to the sensitive stomachs of the time, or (as several other people I know witnessed a similar incident at the Plaza that week) evidence that Paramount's publicity department had hired a method actor for the film's opening run?

Err Psycho, Casablanca, North by Nothwest...the usual ones...

The Taxi Driver mirror scene is pretty much up there for me and why no Alien??

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/mar/14...e-scenes-psycho

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been done a million times since and I can't remember the first film I saw it in....

But the old bathroom mirror, no ones behind you, person turns to wash face and suddenly the phycos behind you.....

Gets me everytime.

While cheesy I also think some of the technology used in cliffhanger was new and quite amazing at the time.

My all time favourite scene ( pervert) is seeing nicole Kidman getting her shorts ripped off in dead calm.

Opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan and Inglourious Basterds were great.

The car chase in Bullitt.

The fight scenes in Raging Bull, particularly the Sugar Ray ones.

LOTR , when the Riders of Rohan charge into the mackem hordes.

Cleopatra's entrance into Rome in the 1963 Burton & Taylor film.

The egg scene-Cool Hand Luke.

None particularly highbrow but all memorable IMHO.

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Hmmm, lets think.

Alien burst scene

True Romance Trailer scene

Car chase in the Blues Brothers

Blade Runner Dove bit at the end

Pink Panther Does your dog bite?

Pump Fiction - Take your pick - Hamburger discussion, Chuck berry dance, Jackson's bible quote etc

Omar Sharif in Lawrence of Arabia, Lee Van Cleef stood at the doorway near the start of TGTBATU, Al Pacino in The Godfather before he kills the bloke, Stallone's penalty save in Escape to Victory.

Hmmm, lets think.

Alien burst scene

Pump Fiction - Take your pick - Hamburger discussion, Chuck berry dance, Jackson's bible quote etc

I'd go with the Alien and Bladerunner ones. Also Butch and Sundance...."Did you see Le Fleurs out there"....End shootout scene...

Omar Sharif in Lawrence of Arabia, Lee Van Cleef stood at the doorway near the start of TGTBATU, Al Pacino in The Godfather before he kills the bloke, Stallone's penalty save in Escape to Victory.

The scene at the water well when he comes out of the desert?

Hmmm, lets think.

Alien burst scene

Was just about to post the same. Fantastic scene.

"Are you looking at me?" "Are you looking at me?" Another of my favourites.

Guest Barrack Road

No Spud fighting over the bedsheets at the breakfast table? That would be number one for any impartial observer.

1:16 onwards for anyone who's never seen it.

Edited by Barrack Road

;) Cracking part of the films like. Actually, Trainspotting would have a few good scenes like. I'd add his cold turkey bit as well.

The flash of red moving through the black and white crowd in Schindlers List?

The first time you see Bullet motion in The Matrix