SJH speaks

trophyshy

CT...

The last 18 months have been anything but exciting mate!

I take positives from relegation...the fact we had the chance to shift the shit, cut down to bare bones and start building from scratch again but that said, us languising in the countries second league after years and years of PL football, european nights and good cup runs this is as far from exciting as you could get.

Watching our boys play against dross week in week out is torture rather than enjoyment.

I will be pleased when we get promoted, delighted if we win the CCC but i sure as hell havnt enjoyed this season at all.

Some say its nice to see the lads winning regularly, but winning against shit?

I dont think the excitement and enjoyment will come back until the season after next...next year will be tense and until we get a new manager in and get rid of FMA or he actually commits and puts decent money forward for quality players then we wont have that for a while.

If your only excitement as a newcastle fan is challenging for Europe then you are going to have an awful lot of wasted seasons.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't enjoy relegation and promotion you should find a new hobby.

The reason you're in the pro-Ashley camp suddenly becomes clearer....

Relegation and promotion have been part of this club long before and will be long after Ashley. This is the world of football.

Surely your not one of the god complex fans who think we have a divine right to be in the prem and challenging for Europe every season?

We dont, as nice as it would be, we dont.

Despite CT's daft response the question still stands!

Why if Leazers accepts the old regime made mistakes and we accept they gave us the best football in years does he keep banging on about them?

:lol:

Because he cant get back on Newcastle Online and "win" his argument. Its a sad situation and he needs to move on. :D

Relegation and promotion have been part of this club long before and will be long after Ashley. This is the world of football.

Surely your not one of the god complex fans who think we have a divine right to be in the prem and challenging for Europe every season?

God complex?? No.

But I sure as hell do not 'enjoy' relegation. I enjoy this club being successful.

How the fuck can anyone enjoy relegation? enjoy the excitement of going down and then (in their own words) boycott with their wallet?

Everything people accuse us of comes true in that one post tbh, fair weather fans who enjoy the rollrcoaster of relegation at the games and the fun of promotion in front of their radios.

I expect useless tabloids to make up this shit but not toon fans. There aren't any with god complexes who think we have a divine right to anything, we expect the club to be run well and with the massive resources we had available to be able to comfortably stay in the prem and to be looking to challenege for europe every season because with what we had financically that isn't hard if you're well run.

Having to go through relegation and the whole season that caused it wasn't in any way exciting and those of us there every game suffering it, don't ever want to go through it again.

If your only excitement as a newcastle fan is challenging for Europe then you are going to have an awful lot of wasted seasons.

And if you enjoy relegation then under Ashley you're going to be like a dog with two dicks.

And if you enjoy relegation then under Ashley you're going to be like a dog with two dicks.

Why else do you think he's keen for him to stay?

You can't tell me that the rollercoaster of the last 18 months hasn't been exciting!!!!

This is football you know not chess or tiddlywinks.

Relegation is just as much part of football as anything else.

Or did you all prefer those dreary non entity seasons we've experienced over the years.

Gut wrenching to get relegated, exciting heading for promotion.

Possibly the most stupid post I've read on any message board, anywhere.

You can't tell me that the rollercoaster of the last 18 months hasn't been exciting!!!!

This is football you know not chess or tiddlywinks.

Relegation is just as much part of football as anything else.

Or did you all prefer those dreary non entity seasons we've experienced over the years.

Gut wrenching to get relegated, exciting heading for promotion.

Possibly the most stupid post I've read on any message board, anywhere.

Must be a day for this sort of thing. I read this on another board...

Newcastle were in a god almighty mess. We needed relegation to sort the club out.

God complex?? No.

But I sure as hell do not 'enjoy' relegation. I enjoy this club being successful.

But the point your missing Craig is that for most fans, at most clubs, most of the time, us included......You are not going to be succesful.

There is a big problem with a lot of our support who arrived just before or during the Keegan years. You / They had it so good you were not used to being crap.

A level of expectation has been created by our brief flirtation with title chasing and the champions league.

And make no mistake it was a brief flirtation. Over the last 30 years we have usually been shite.

So when you say you "enjoy the club being succesful", get it in perspective.

We would all love the Keegan days to have continued and be up there winning titles, cups and playing in Europe but that doesnt mean you cant get enjoyment / excitement in the majority of years when we are not succesful.

God complex?? No.

But the point your missing Craig is that for most fans, at most clubs, most of the time, us included......You are not going to be succesful.

There is a big problem with a lot of our support who arrived just before or during the Keegan years. You / They had it so good you were not used to being crap.

A level of expectation has been created by our brief flirtation with title chasing and the champions league.

And make no mistake it was a brief flirtation. Over the last 30 years we have usually been shite.

We would all love the Keegan days to have continued and be up there winning titles, cups and playing in Europe but that doesnt mean you cant get enjoyment / excitement in the majority of years when we are not succesful.

you're a real jekyll and hyde you like.

On one hand ypu are deservedly crediting the ex owners for what they did for the club ie playing in europe and the Chanps League. Then you have a go at me in other threads for pointing it out to people who didn't appreciate it. Then you yourself demean it by calling it a "brief flirtation". How many other clubs have enjoyed such a "brief flirtation" ?

You also correctly point out how difficult it is to be one of the 2 or 3 trophy winners then slate the previous owners for not running a club that ought to have found winning trophies to be so easy

Leazes, not every remark is made with the Halls and Shepherds in mind.

Putting them to one side ( go on, you can do it) surely being an old git 80% of your time as a Newcastle supporter has been watching an unsuccesful team.

Infact our fathers would laugh at what we consider succesful.

Winning cups in the 50's and Europe in the 60's.

Football is about peaks and troughs for virtually every club.

God complex?? No.

And you're missing my very clear point that I (and I'm guessing the majority of people on here) don't 'enjoy' relegation.

Expectation rarely falls in line with desire - that's the way of the world that we're all acutely aware of so there's no need to become patronising about perspective.

It sounds very much to me that you get enjoyment out of the results rather than necessarily the performance which, I'm sorry, I just don't get. We'd likely get the results if we were playing in the Conference - would you still enjoy it?

Sure this season has been 'successful' in terms of the results. But it's been akin to playing FIFA 10 on the piss easy level and even then, we've made hard work of it at times. Comparing it to the last time we were in this position 17 years ago it's worlds apart - the performances were on another level to those of today.

Nobody should or could ever enjoy relegation, yes we enjoy the results of the promotion season but those who have any sense know that its a temporary thing, that this time next season we'll be shitting bricks (if we're not already mathematically relegated). Nothing in our setup prepares us for the Premiership and nothing will change enough for us to be safe next season and Im happy for that to be put on record for people to slate me in a years time if Im wrong.

To be so confused that you see relegation as anything but a total disaster for our football club is quite simply astonishing, tell the 200+ people who were put on the dole how its all been good, Im sure theyd agree with you.

God complex?? No.

And you're missing my very clear point that I (and I'm guessing the majority of people on here) don't 'enjoy' relegation.

The enjoy relegation context is taken out of context and you know it. I was referring to the excitement of football and that trying to win the league, win a cup, get into Europe etc are all exciting, but also in a nailbiting way, trying to avoid relegation and get promoted are also exciting. Football in this country is all about promotion and relegation from the prem down to the grass roots. You cant just have the glory.

Expectation rarely falls in line with desire - that's the way of the world that we're all acutely aware of so there's no need to become patronising about perspective.

It sounds very much to me that you get enjoyment out of the results rather than necessarily the performance which, I'm sorry, I just don't get. We'd likely get the results if we were playing in the Conference - would you still enjoy it?

Yes I would still enjoy it because that would be our level of competition. However if it got to that stage then im sure a lot of glory fans would have fucked off. If you can ONLY enjoy games in the prem challenging for Europe then you are a pretty sad cookie in my book.

Sure this season has been 'successful' in terms of the results. But it's been akin to playing FIFA 10 on the piss easy level and even then, we've made hard work of it at times. Comparing it to the last time we were in this position 17 years ago it's worlds apart - the performances were on another level to those of today.

Maybe thats the problem, too many of you are used to winning on the piss easy level of FIFA 10 . Im guessing you wernt really into football last time we were really shit and that must be hard for those of you who arrived with Keegan. But we were really shit before Keegan and really succesful in the 50's. As a fan and while i appreciate it may not be nice, you have to get used to enjoying football whatever league you are in.

And its also worth noting a hell of lot of fans will have enjoyed this season a lot more than they have others for a good while.

Edited by Christmas Tree

Just to answer your last point CT, I've 'been into football' and Newcastle United specifically since 1982. I'm well used to us being really shit.

And the 'piss easy level of FIFA 10' analogy is a reference to our current predicament - not what happened 15 years ago.

Maybe thats the problem, too many of you are used to winning on the piss easy level of FIFA 10 . Im guessing you wernt really into football last time we were really shit and that must be hard for those of you who arrived with Keegan. But we were really shit before Keegan and really succesful in the 50's. As a fan and while i appreciate it may not be nice, you have to get used to enjoying football whatever league you are in.

You do, I agree however you dont get so used to it that you look forward to the down season in order to experience the rush of promotion. Thats akin to a junkie going cold turkey with the express view that when he does shoot up it'll be so much more exhilerating. No club has a divine right to being in the top flight however some clubs have the necessary levels of support to ensure enough turnover to keep them there.

We are one of those clubs.

Just to answer your last point CT, I've 'been into football' and Newcastle United specifically since 1982. I'm well used to us being really shit.

And the 'piss easy level of FIFA 10' analogy is a reference to our current predicament - not what happened 15 years ago.

:D:icon_lol::rolleyes::icon_lol:

Fuck off Craig....In 1982 you were 5 for fucks sake!!!!

Hardly a really aware life and death football fan.

That makes you about 14 when Keegan took over as manager which just confirms what I was saying. Its not your fault tho. :lol:

You do, I agree however you dont get so used to it that you look forward to the down season in order to experience the rush of promotion. Thats akin to a junkie going cold turkey with the express view that when he does shoot up it'll be so much more exhilerating. No club has a divine right to being in the top flight however some clubs have the necessary levels of support to ensure enough turnover to keep them there.

Fuck off man, you know exactly what I was saying about relegation and promotion and the nailbiting "excitement" of both.

And with regard to

No club has a divine right to being in the top flight however some clubs have the necessary levels of support to ensure enough turnover to keep them there.

I dont see how we do. We were not self sufficient Under Shepherd last few years and havent been since. We couldnt afford it keep on raking up the debts trying to keep up. Thats why us and so many others are / were really fucked.

It amazes me that some seemingly sensible people on this board think that crowd size and tv money is enough to compete with the big boys. It simply is untrue.

You need a benefactor these days.

Those who simply think we can go back to the spend spend spend days of Shepherd are fucking clueless.

A different approach is needed and if and I agree its a fucking huge if, Ashley has learnt his lesson and is interested, then he could be our best long term route back to a serious contender.

I dont think there are any quick fixes however if some of you have any you should spell them out, rather than just moaning about Ashley.

He is a British Multi million / soon to be billionaire, his empire is growing again, his brand fits in well for world wide promotion.

Hopefully he will get it right in the summer. If not the prospect of a sale to a Barry Mort type is truly horrific.

:icon_lol::rolleyes::icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Fuck off Craig....In 1982 you were 5 for fucks sake!!!!

Hardly a really aware life and death football fan.

That makes you about 14 when Keegan took over as manager which just confirms what I was saying. Its not your fault tho. :D

So are you suggesting I have absolutely no re-collection of the first 13 years of my life? :lol:

I may have been growing up at that period but it sure as hell didn't prevent me from forming an opinion on what I was witnessing on the football pitch. I remember some real shite during that time. Big Jack's hit and hoof tactics - not to mention the diaster that was 88/89.

I remember some absolute dross on the pitch that hung around all too long and some exceptional talent that left all too quickly.

From what you're saying no-one under the age of 40 really has a clue? Incredible!

I dont think there are any quick fixes however if some of you have any you should spell them out, rather than just moaning about Ashley.

He is a British Multi million / soon to be billionaire, his empire is growing again, his brand fits in well for world wide promotion.

Need it be pointed out that he was a billionaire when he took over (solely from the floatation of Sports Direct) but that inside twelve months his fortune had actually halved in size.

As for the empire growing again, I do believe Blacks have told him to go forth and multiply - and rightly so.

Leazes, not every remark is made with the Halls and Shepherds in mind.

Putting them to one side ( go on, you can do it) surely being an old git 80% of your time as a Newcastle supporter has been watching an unsuccesful team.

Infact our fathers would laugh at what we consider succesful.

Winning cups in the 50's and Europe in the 60's.

Football is about peaks and troughs for virtually every club.

as an "old git" I can assure you that your assumption is correct, however, at least 80% of the time under the previous regime was the exact opposite of the dross that came before them

And since.

exactly