SJH speaks

trophyshy

Maverick Hall says football must remain local to survive

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/201...to-survive.html

George Caulkin

We are, Sir John Hall said, in the third age of football club ownership. The driving force behind the construction of the MetroCentre in the 1980s, who moved into football before the bubble was inflated and who took his leave when ... well, at precisely the moment that Mike Ashley waved a cheery, unsuspecting hello, knows a thing or two about timing. He views the game in its present form to be unsustainable.

Hall polarises opinion amongst Newcastle United supporters; he can even encourage schizophrenia. On the one hand, it was his Magpie Group which, after a bitter takeover battle, hauled the club away from possible extinction and it was him who, in tandem with Kevin Keegan, dared fans to dream again. He oversaw the redevelopment of St James’ Park and talked in visionary terms about the "Geordie Nation".

On the other, the £55 million that Hall and his family banked when they sold out to Ashley is not a source of huge goodwill. Some point to Sunderland and the painstaking nature of Bob Murray’s negotiations with Niall Quinn and his backers; the Murray era is not recalled with overwhelming pleasure, but at least it ended with a typically exhaustive examination of what was to follow.

Hall, of course, did not even meet Ashley, whose purchase of 41.6 per cent of Newcastle’s shares meant that Freddy Shepherd, then the club’s chairman and the other leading shareholder (who was recovering from illness), was effectively unable to resist. Ashley had not even undertaken due diligence on his £134 million business and it has been argued that Hall had not undertaken due diligence on him.

Yet he remains a figure of interest, a life president at Newcastle, and a man with acute senses when it comes to the flow of money. Routinely described as a Thatcherite and a tea guest of a Prime Minister who remains deeply unloved within the region, Hall was also a passionate advocate of an elected North East assembly. “I like to be referred to as a capitalist with a social conscience,” he once said.

With Portsmouth in administration, with West Ham United, amongst others, heavily in debt, with Liverpool and Manchester United wrestling with issues of ownership, with Sunderland one of the clubs coming to terms with a foreign benefactor and with Newcastle in recovery, it feels like an appropriate juncture to canvas his views. As with his politics, there is an element of the maverick about Hall.

Put simply, he believes that change is both necessary and inevitable, that Something Must Be Done to put brakes on a system that generates huge amounts of wealth and immediately fritters it away. More interestingly, perhaps, he is adamant that the inherently parochial nature of the sport (Newcastle the club originates from Newcastle upon Tyne the city), must be protected and renewed.

Asked whether the present business model of the Barclays Premier League could continue, his response was vehement. “It’s not a business model,” he said. “Anybody can throw money at the game. I’m not against globalisation because we live in a free market and the Premier League has done very well out of it through the television deals and so on. But football in the UK belongs to towns and communities.

“Clubs grew out of entrepreneurs, small businessmen and shopkeepers and clubs were set up to take the minds of people off revolution. The first wave were those old families and then the second wave came in - people like me at Newcastle and Jack Walker at Blackburn Rovers. There was more money, but we still felt for our regions, we still had a love for our clubs and the area. That’s what motivated us. It was a good thing.”

As with the likes of Manchester United, Newcastle went down the route of flotation, something that prompted discomfort from Keegan and which, in time, showcased difficulties; the very instability that makes football so glorious was a difficult arena for sound business practices. But as the television cash rolled in, wages exploded, agents thrived and outsiders viewed an opportunity.

“We were starting to get hassle; there was too much money going out in wages,” Hall said. “There had been an unwritten rule in the Premier League that you spent within your means, that clubs were run as proper businesses. Suddenly, Roman Abramovich came in at Chelsea and it changed the whole thing. That’s when I decided to get out.

“There was no regional basis behind his interest, no limit to what he could spend and suddenly you were competing with oligarchs who were coming in with their own interests. It was about personal aggrandisement and the football industry giving them a global seat. I said at the time there was no way we could compete with him and I got grief because of that, but getting out was the right thing to do. There was no way we could compete.

“Football deserves local recognition. It might be great for clubs and supporters in the short term, but how long will it last when they don’t have that in-built passion for the club? I don’t think it will. In the North East we’ve seen American and Korean money come in to the region and then leave and we’ve been left to pick up the pieces. I think the game will come back to the people in the regions and we have to get some control back.

“Agents have tried to blackmail clubs and we’ve let the game run away from us. There’s a danger it could implode. There needs to be some sensible running of clubs as businesses, because clubs are making all this money and yet all of it is flowing out. Some needs to be put back. We have to try to make clubs live within their means and that’s something Fifa must be looking at it.”

While he described supporters’ trusts as “non-viable", he highlighted the presence of David Sullivan and David Gold at Upton Park - both East Enders - as evidence of his local/regional theory coming to fruition. Their first task at West Ham has been to slash at costs. “I’m a free marketeer, but sometimes there’s a need for control,” Hall said. “Look at what happened with the bankers. There should be a balance to the business.”

Hall can only harbour disappointment about events at Newcastle following Ashley’s arrival, although he insisted that the sportswear retailer’s instincts were correct. “Mike Ashley came in for the right reasons,” he said. “Newcastle gave him a brand name for his business abroad.

“But Ashley took bad advice from his mates. He didn’t know the game, so he went to his friends. I had a long debate with him about the concept of having a director of football and a manager and how difficult that would be. He wanted a strong director of football and we all saw what happened ...”

In the chase for points and prize-money, Europe and self-preservation, everything about football is hand-to-mouth and blinkered, but according to Hall somebody, somewhere, should be looking long term. “We need to take a step back and ask where we’re going,” he said. “The Premier League should be asking what’s going to happen over the next 20 years. This is a game rooted in the people and in the regions. The owners of football clubs are just custodians. We’ve got to learn the lessons of the banking system.”

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't realise he'd never met Ashley when he'd accepted his offer. Certainly not the actions of a man who gives a fuck about the club.

I've no interest in what he thinks should or should not be done with regards to NUFC tbh. The man bank-rolled Keegan's renaissance of the club and for that I am thankful but for the rest he can fuck off AFAIC

Hall is a cunt. He used NUFC as his cash cow taking out millions whilst plunging it into tens of millions of debt. I bet he thought Xmas and all his birthdays came along at once when Ashley offered him money for his shares.

Shepherd was nothing more than the Halls mouthpiece.

Hall is a cunt. He used NUFC as his cash cow taking out millions whilst plunging it into tens of millions of debt. I bet he thought Xmas and all his birthdays came along at once when Ashley offered him money for his shares.

:yes <braces for the inevitable Leazes rebuttal> <_<

Hall can only harbour disappointment about events at Newcastle following Ashley’s arrival, although he insisted that the sportswear retailer’s instincts were correct. “Mike Ashley came in for the right reasons,” he said. “Newcastle gave him a brand name for his business abroad.

Ah good thats ok then...thats why he bought us. I'd been wondering about that. If you're a fan of NUFC thats just what you want to hear :yes

Caulkin gets it right about Hall....I'm a bit scizophrenic about him. I've no real problem with the money he made by selling the club but the cunt he sold it to proves he didnt give two fucks who it was. And now we have this pile of bollocks highlighted above. Words fuckin fail me.

and fellate an iranian camel?

:yes

SJH- step up and put your money where your mouth is.

On the one hand he bangs on about regional ownership and the clubs belonging to the people, then has a sly dig at NUST.

Why not help them out with cash & experience instead of rubbishing the idea Johnny?

On the one hand he bangs on about regional ownership and the clubs belonging to the people, then has a sly dig at NUST.

Why not help them out with cash & experience instead of rubbishing the idea Johnny?

Help the fans? but how would they pay him for that help? Surely they dont expect it for free? the fucking peasants.

No problem with SJH or the article.

He came into NUFC for the right reasons and I have no problem with the money he made when he decided to get out.

Always thought of him as a decent bloke.

CT, how would you like to live in Spain for 6 weeks a year? All that golf!

PM me for the deal of a lifetime.

No problem with SJH or the article.

He came into NUFC for the right reasons and I have no problem with the money he made when he decided to get out.

Always thought of him as a decent bloke.

The money he made selling our club to the first person that would give him the blood money he wanted? regardless of that persons intentions or ability? selling his shares behind the back of his business parter (ie Shepherd) while he lay in a hospital bed?

All that is twatful, at best. To be, however, our clubs life president and never be seen at the ground or never be seen to be questioning whats going on is unforgivable. The final nail in the coffin however is to then write an article bleating on about how clubs being bought by people with money who want them as a plaything is wrong when he sold the club to someone who gave that very same reason for taking over.

As for not having a problem with the money he made when he decided to get out, Id love to be in a position where I take on a football club "for the love of it", put in a fairly minimal investment then make millions a year out of it and then sell it on for £55m profit and still have people saying he deserves it.

You're one of a kind though CT I'll give you that, in one thread you'll argue that the Halls almost bankrupted us and Ashley saved the club yet in another you say you think they fully deserved the millions they took from us. You cant have it both ways, any criticism thrown at Shepherd must also equally go to the Halls, just as the praise for the good times should to.

As Caulkin said, take a look down the road for how selling your local football club should be done. Not for the highest bidder or the first past the post but ensuring they have the clubs interests at heart.

<_<

Help the fans? but how would they pay him for that help? Surely they dont expect it for free? the fucking peasants.

Aye, silly me.

And here I was thinking Johnny was “ a capitalist with a social conscience,” ,

err.... Wait.

Edited by Monkeys Fist

<_<

In actual fact, if you had been taking ANY notice outside of the last few months, I've been saying things along the same lines for YEARS.

When people slate Shepherd that is, to "defend" anyone, or out of any particular "allegiance", just calling it as it was.

Quite why SJH has been held in such esteem and Shepherd got all the flak when he never had control ? Well, you will have to ask the "experts" who could never see past the "fat bastard who would never splash the cash", when SJH got lucky because Keegan happened to be an outstanding manager. I was even banned from NO for going on about it so long and often in response to the fuckwits that kept bleating on about it.

Edited by LeazesMag

<_<

In actual fact, if you had been taking ANY notice outside of the last few months, I've been saying things along the same lines for YEARS.

When people slate Shepherd that is, to "defend" anyone, or out of any particular "allegiance", just calling it as it was.

Quite why SJH has been held in such esteem and Shepherd got all the flak when he never had control ? Well, you will have to ask the "experts" who could never see past the "fat bastard who would never splash the cash", when SJH got lucky because Keegan happened to be an outstanding manager. I was even banned from NO for going on about it so long and often in response to the fuckwits that kept bleating on about it.

Yep.

<_<

Yep.

and still no apology :rolleyes:

Edited by LeazesMag

Edit :

In fact gejon, what is your opinion on handing out all the flak to the Halls and Shepherd [particularly the fat bastard] for not winning the league yet licking Ashleys arse for getting relegated and now topping the 2nd division, as seems to be the current mood ?

Not that I expect you to have an informed opinion, you understand.

Edited by LeazesMag

Guest Insider

Edit :

In fact gejon, what is your opinion on handing out all the flak to the Halls and Shepherd [particularly the fat bastard] for not winning the league yet licking Ashleys arse for getting relegated and now topping the 2nd division, as seems to be the current mood ?

He just used his "banned" keyword search to find and reply to your post there. It's all the boring cunt is ever interested in

Edit :

I can see why people were worried about the way we were heading but giving them stick for giving us the best football they have and probably will see for a long time is more than a little stupid.

Anyone licking Ashley's arse is a moron, I don't think that is the current mood though.

You still have me down as this Halls and Shepherd hater despite never providing any evidence.

Edit :

He just used his "banned" keyword search to find and reply to your post there. It's all the boring cunt is ever interested in

Are you called Insider because you are up Leazes arse all the time?

He is big enough to look after himself without you yapping any time someone talks to him.

<_<

Edit :

I can see why people were worried about the way we were heading but giving them stick for giving us the best football they have and probably will see for a long time is more than a little stupid.

Anyone licking Ashley's arse is a moron, I don't think that is the current mood though.

You still have me down as this Halls and Shepherd hater despite never providing any evidence.

there are plenty of people licking his arse :yes

Edit :

He is big enough to look after himself without you yapping any time someone talks to him.

Didn't you say me and Stevie were "bullied" because we were banned from replying ?

A bit ironic don't you think ?

Edit :

Didn't you say me and Stevie were "bullied" because we were banned from replying ?

A bit ironic don't you think ?

No.

I find it ironic that Insiderleazesmag accuses me of only posting in reply to certain things when all he seems to do is follow you around "defending your honour".

Throw the boy a treat before you go to the pub, he is obviously deprived of attention.