General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following on from Happys point. The parties are now so close in the middle ground that coalitions should now work in grown up politics.

Old party lines make a lot of us seem a lot further apart politically than in reality we actually are.

I suspect most on here are fairly decent, happy to do their bit, believe in fairness and want good public services and a decent society for our families to live in.

It's the old part lines that focus's our attention on the differences, rather than what we agree on.

New politics, bring it on.

If you really believe that you should support the Lib Dems. Sounds like wooly bullshit to me like, but that's not to say we couldn't develop some form of PR that works well, other countries manage it.

PR has many benefits. Every vote counts so parliament actually reflects public opinion, for as long as I can remember we’ve been governed by a party the majority of the country didn’t vote for. Under FPTP the views of people who live in marginal seats carry a grossly disproportionate weight, which is wrong whichever way you look at it. PR would also protects us from obviously bad or extreme policy getting pushed through parliament, and it provides a proper mechanism for getting on with things when the national vote is split three ways like we have now.

Edited by Problem Child

Guest alex
As Renton has said, I really can't see how a Li Dem and Tory pact could work. The Lib Dems are far more likely to get their way by siding with Labour. I think that Clegg privately thinks that Brown is the far better bet for the economy and probably willing to stick Vincey boy in the cabinet, whilst the Tories want clueless Osbourne in.

Osbournes life in politics will be short lived. Of that I have no doubt.

Similar to his big-foreheaded pal, I hope :)

Guest alex
Following on from Happys point. The parties are now so close in the middle ground that coalitions should now work in grown up politics.

Old party lines make a lot of us seem a lot further apart politically than in reality we actually are.

I suspect most on here are fairly decent, happy to do their bit, believe in fairness and want good public services and a decent society for our families to live in.

It's the old part lines that focus's our attention on the differences, rather than what we agree on.

If you really believe that you should support the Lib Dems. Sounds like wooly bullshit to me like, but that's not to say we couldn't develop some form of PR that works well, other countries manage it.

PR has many benefits. Every vote counts so parliament actually reflects public opinion, for as long as I can remember we’ve been governed by a party the majority of the country didn’t vote for. Under FPTP the views of people who live in marginal seats carry a grossly disproportionate weight, which is wrong whichever way you look at it. PR would also protects us from obviously bad or extreme policy getting pushed through parliament, and it provides a proper mechanism for getting on with things when the national vote is split three ways like we have now.

Well said.

I was actually thinking last night that the tories have nothing in the locker regarding up and coming politicians as well - are Cameron and Osbourne really the best they have to offer? :)

I think Labour might have a few in the pipeline and we'll see The Super Milliband Bros in power after this tory lot are unevitably booted out. Hopefully. :(

That's what I've been saying to anyone thinking of voting Tory because of Cameron. Yes, he might have these big ideas, but his party his still full of useless shite that he'll have to back down on quite a few of them. That's if you believe he was going to do some of the things he promised anyway...

Guest alex
I was actually thinking last night that the tories have nothing in the locker regarding up and coming politicians as well - are Cameron and Osbourne really the best they have to offer? :)

I think Labour might have a few in the pipeline and we'll see The Super Milliband Bros in power after this tory lot are unevitably booted out. Hopefully. :(

That's what I've been saying to anyone thinking of voting Tory because of Cameron. Yes, he might have these big ideas, but his party his still full of useless shite that he'll have to back down on quite a few of them. That's if you believe he was going to do some of the things he promised anyway...

In a similar vein, the Tories have loads of rebels in their back benches which'll make it hard for them to govern.

_47795666_009239534-1.jpg

:(

The difference between the Tories and Labour now is that what Mandelson and Brown say pretty much goes. The Tory leader however (even Thatcher found this) is much more under the control of the 1922 committee and other backroom bigwigs - it'll be they who are deciding Cameron's deal imo.

The difference between the Tories and Labour now is that what Mandelson and Brown say pretty much goes. The Tory leader however (even Thatcher found this) is much more under the control of the 1922 committee and other backroom bigwigs - it'll be they who are deciding Cameron's deal imo.

Oh aye, the Tory campaign has been all about Cameron and no-one else..on the basis that the rest of them are a bunch of bumbling bastards. :)

Brown only just beat Michael Foot.

Untenable.

He didn't seem to have any issue taking up residence at No 10 without an election. :)

Did Major? We're not the USA, we don't vote for a president.

Untenable.

He didn't seem to have any issue taking up residence at No 10 without an election. :)

Just like 2 Tories have in recent history?

Untenable.

He didn't seem to have any issue taking up residence at No 10 without an election. :(

Two wrongs make a right in your book? :)

Untenable.

He didn't seem to have any issue taking up residence at No 10 without an election. :(

Two wrongs make a right in your book? :)

Ah well, two figures plucked out of your arse make a tax rate in your book.

Guest alex

Untenable.

He didn't seem to have any issue taking up residence at No 10 without an election. :icon_lol:

Two wrongs make a right in your book? :(

You could argue it's unfair but there's nothing wrong with it in constitutional terms. Perhaps electoral reform is needed. :)

Well said.

However it must have many down sides since no-one Labour or Tory have brought it in.

I'll have to find a nice unbiassed source to read up on it. :)

There is "not very much happiness among Conservative ranks" about the election result and there are mutterings that the campaign actually reduced support, Spectator editor Fraser Nelson says.

:)

Clearly it did like.

Lockers being topped up nicely overnight tho :rolleyes::icon_lol:

As Renton has said, I really can't see how a Li Dem and Tory pact could work. The Lib Dems are far more likely to get their way by siding with Labour. I think that Clegg privately thinks that Brown is the far better bet for the economy and probably willing to stick Vincey boy in the cabinet, whilst the Tories want clueless Osbourne in.

Osbournes life in politics will be short lived. Of that I have no doubt.

Dave's mate though isn't he? Now I know I have an anti-Tory stance, but Osbourne really doesn't install me with confidence when it comes to the economy, bit of a bumbler.

With a bit of luck they'll let vincy in.

Seriously, what planet are you on CT? You can really see Cameron replacing his mate Osbourne with Vince Cable in a coalition? :(

Ain't going to happen. :)

one where the torys are the best vote for a taxi driver

says it all

Precisely what does that say then..... :icon_lol:

Well said.

However it must have many down sides since no-one Labour or Tory have brought it in.

I'll have to find a nice unbiassed source to read up on it. :)

Election historian on the BBC just saying he's against it.

Suggested you need this kind of result twice in a row to say it's failed...which has never happened.

Also leads to a lot of smaller parties with more MPs causing congestion in the commons.