General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Following on from Happys point. The parties are now so close in the middle ground that coalitions should now work in grown up politics.

Old party lines make a lot of us seem a lot further apart politically than in reality we actually are.

I suspect most on here are fairly decent, happy to do their bit, believe in fairness and want good public services and a decent society for our families to live in.

It's the old part lines that focus's our attention on the differences, rather than what we agree on.

New politics, bring it on.

If you really believe that you should support the Lib Dems. Sounds like wooly bullshit to me like, but that's not to say we couldn't develop some form of PR that works well, other countries manage it.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tory Grandees won't let Cam offer voting reform and that will be that. :(

I doubt very much that any agreement will be made and lost on voting reform tbh. Far too much else at stake.

It will be.

Progressive Left seems to be the catchphrase already. :)

Guest alex
Clegg could be asking for trouble if he teams up with the Toffs. He needs to remember that a lot of Lib Dem voters are ex or fed up Labour voters who couldn't stomach voting Tory. I didn't vote Lib Dem, but if I had and they got into bed with the Tories I'd be livid.

That's my take on it as well SLP. Tactical blunder imo, and will not advance the cause of PR. I think it would also paralyse the country as I doubt Cameron could get anything through Parliament.

Christ, what a mess.

I voted Lib Dem and it wouldn't make me livid, I prefer to see democracy in action....the Tories have won most votes....it's their government to form.

Fucking sick of party political games where MPs serve their own interests and ignore the voters.

I agree with your last statement. A lib con pact might not be a bad thing.

It depends if they can put the country and current situation first.

In order of integrity I would stick clegg up their with cameron so hopefully this gesture is genuine. If he's just trying to curry favour with the electorate, I hope Cameron tells him to fuck off

If they want electoral reform (which they obviously do) they better get any agreement in writing and made public to the electorate otherwise the Tories will drop them the first chance they get. If they're not careful they'll just be propping up the Tories until the Autumn. They could also lose support next time round. Can't see anything other than a Liberal / Conservative pact working at present but at the same time I can't really see it happening because of the stumbling block I mention. And I know people will point to there being more important issues but the economy will recover in a few short years whereas this is onece in a lifetime stuff for the Lib Dems.

Following on from Happys point. The parties are now so close in the middle ground that coalitions should now work in grown up politics.

Old party lines make a lot of us seem a lot further apart politically than in reality we actually are.

I suspect most on here are fairly decent, happy to do their bit, believe in fairness and want good public services and a decent society for our families to live in.

It's the old part lines that focus's our attention on the differences, rather than what we agree on.

New politics, bring it on.

If you really believe that you should support the Lib Dems. Sounds like wooly bullshit to me like, but that's not to say we couldn't develop some form of PR that works well, other countries manage it.

Tbf, I don't know enough about the detailled pros and cons of pr to offer an opinion, never mind a decision.

What I do know is that the only party that have it as a policy is the Lib Dems and they've lost sears.

I also am adamant that it shouldn't come in through the back door just to prop brown up.

Cameron is taking a kicking behind the scenes according to Beeb.

Hopefully literally, with Ashcroft's goons holding him down as Ashcroft himself goes at him with a sock full of oranges on his torso.

As Renton has said, I really can't see how a Li Dem and Tory pact could work. The Lib Dems are far more likely to get their way by siding with Labour. I think that Clegg privately thinks that Brown is the far better bet for the economy and probably willing to stick Vincey boy in the cabinet, whilst the Tories want clueless Osbourne in.

Clegg could be asking for trouble if he teams up with the Toffs. He needs to remember that a lot of Lib Dem voters are ex or fed up Labour voters who couldn't stomach voting Tory. I didn't vote Lib Dem, but if I had and they got into bed with the Tories I'd be livid.

That's my take on it as well SLP. Tactical blunder imo, and will not advance the cause of PR. I think it would also paralyse the country as I doubt Cameron could get anything through Parliament.

Christ, what a mess.

I voted Lib Dem and it wouldn't make me livid, I prefer to see democracy in action....the Tories have won most votes....it's their government to form.

Fucking sick of party political games where MPs serve their own interests and ignore the voters.

I agree with your last statement. A lib con pact might not be a bad thing.

It depends if they can put the country and current situation first.

In order of integrity I would stick clegg up their with cameron so hopefully this gesture is genuine. If he's just trying to curry favour with the electorate, I hope Cameron tells him to fuck off

If they want electoral reform (which they obviously do) they better get any agreement in writing and made public to the electorate otherwise the Tories will drop them the first chance they get. If they're not careful they'll just be propping up the Tories until the Autumn. They could also lose support next time round. Can't see anything other than a Liberal / Conservative pact working at present but at the same time I can't really see it happening because of the stumbling block I mention. And I know people will point to there being more important issues but the economy will recover in a few short years whereas this is onece in a lifetime stuff for the Lib Dems.

Yup and Mandy and Brown will ok it Cameron won't or won't be allowed to.

Alex, I just can't see the Cameron throwing away major principals to gain power or Clegg blackmailing the country into pr.

Not sure where that leaves us though other than agreeing not to vote against the conservatives on some issues.

Guest alex
Alex, I just can't see the Cameron throwing away major principals to gain power or Clegg blackmailing the country into pr.

Not sure where that leaves us though other than agreeing not to vote against the conservatives on some issues.

That'll be the Tory spin but I'm not sure that's the reality. Perhaps people want PR. It's far fairer, after all.

As Renton has said, I really can't see how a Li Dem and Tory pact could work. The Lib Dems are far more likely to get their way by siding with Labour. I think that Clegg privately thinks that Brown is the far better bet for the economy and probably willing to stick Vincey boy in the cabinet, whilst the Tories want clueless Osbourne in.

Osbournes life in politics will be short lived. Of that I have no doubt.

Dave's mate though isn't he? Now I know I have an anti-Tory stance, but Osbourne really doesn't install me with confidence when it comes to the economy, bit of a bumbler.

Dave's mate though isn't he? Now I know I have an anti-Tory stance, but Osbourne really doesn't install me with confidence when it comes to the economy, bit of a bumbler.

With a bit of luck they'll let vincy in.

Cameron is taking a kicking behind the scenes according to Beeb.

how so?

For totally fucking up the campaign.

Ah right, theres just so many things you could kick him for

I was actually thinking last night that the tories have nothing in the locker regarding up and coming politicians as well - are Cameron and Osbourne really the best they have to offer? :)

I think Labour might have a few in the pipeline and we'll see The Super Milliband Bros in power after this tory lot are unevitably booted out. Hopefully. :(

Seriously, what planet are you on CT? You can really see Cameron replacing his mate Osbourne with Vince Cable in a coalition? :(

Ain't going to happen. :)

Best thing for me in this election is that the Lib Dem result has blown apart the "x factor" leaders debates fear.

A round of applause to the electorate.

...for voting Lib Dem more than ever before, and being denied their desired result as usual. A round of applause for the status quo! :)

As for the "cabinet", I pray to nonexistentcloudbeing that Vince doesn't end up anywhere near the Chancellor position. Let Osborne take it on and fuck it up in his own unique way.

Seriously, what planet are you on CT? You can really see Cameron replacing his mate Osbourne with Vince Cable in a coalition? :(

Ain't going to happen. :)

one where the torys are the best vote for a taxi driver

says it all

Tory sources claiming they're not ruling out PR.

I guess it's a case of how desperate they are to get in.