General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which I hope makes those who voted Liberal expecting "historic change" realise what they were actually voting for - the Tories.

This is why I mistrust PR as I said earlier despite it seeming fairer - I'd speculate that most people who vote Liberal share more values with those who vote Labour than Tory so they have to accept that making the Liberals the power brokers can mean a Tory government.

Except under PR at this election, Labour and the Lib Dems would basically have 50% of the vote = Lab-LD coalition = no Tory government. :)

Edited by Meenzer

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always admired the Chinese, so I'm really looking forward to our future under the Hung parliament.

:)

Someone from N-O.

My constituency (and Renton's) did its duty with a Labour hold. Renton will be pleased. :)

Aye, Alan won a comfortable majority, Tynemouth only had a 0.4% swing to the tories! :(

This means that there are still NO tories in the NE, in fact it's solid red apart from Redcar.

This has been a total and utter tory FAIL. Can't say I'm happy though, in some ways its just about as bad a result for stability as could have happened. I can't see any coalitions working, and the country is more polarised than ever before. What next? We should all be concerned.

Redcar only fell because the Lib Dems ran a massive campaign there knowing that Vera Baird was so unpopular for saying/doing fuck all during the closing of the steelworks and for not being Mo Mowlam.

All Clegg has done is remove himself from the shitstorm that is about to begin.

That is literally all I want right now. The two-party system might not have been shattered last night, but I still think it's on the cards if they can just hang tight and keep their hands clean until the next election, whether it's in October or 2015...

Or stuck by his policy of allowing the party which wins the most seats and votes to try to form a government...even though he preferred it was labour.

That is literally all I want right now. The two-party system might not have been shattered last night, but I still think it's on the cards if they can just hang tight and keep their hands clean until the next election, whether it's in October or 2015...

Cameron won't offer PR and Clegg and the Lib Dem group will say no confidence. Mandy has already said many times last night he's into PR and Brown started studies in how it was going to work months ago. I take your point however. :)

Clegg could be asking for trouble if he teams up with the Toffs. He needs to remember that a lot of Lib Dem voters are ex or fed up Labour voters who couldn't stomach voting Tory. I didn't vote Lib Dem, but if I had and they got into bed with the Tories I'd be livid.

That's my take on it as well SLP. Tactical blunder imo, and will not advance the cause of PR. I think it would also paralyse the country as I doubt Cameron could get anything through Parliament.

Christ, what a mess.

Or stuck by his policy of allowing the party which wins the most seats and votes to try to form a government...even though he preferred it was labour.

Cameron doensn't have the balls to survive in a min Govt in the rathouse. Clegg is just letting him fuck up which keeps his powder dry with the voters. Deft.

Cameron won't offer PR and Clegg and the Lib Dem group will say no confidence. Mandy has already said many times last night he's into PR and Brown started studies in how it was going to work months ago. I take your point however. :)

Nothing to stop Cameron offering a referendum and campaigning in opposition.

I assume the Tories would be hurt the most under PR?

I think you're underestimating the monumental failure Cameron has precided over. All the indicators across the country should have ensured a Tory landslide.

Is it definitely a referendum issue? I reckon the vast majority of the electorate wouldn't understand the repercussions of what was being asked.

Well Labour has the most to lose regarding representation, but arguably it will hurt the right wing of the political spectrum most imo.

Yes cause they are only really the party of the South of England. Interesting they still got nowhere in Scotland and only tiny success in Wales. Lab would lose some muscle as well, but this would be counterbalanced by the soft left leaning Lib Dems.

Edited by Park Life

Clegg could be asking for trouble if he teams up with the Toffs. He needs to remember that a lot of Lib Dem voters are ex or fed up Labour voters who couldn't stomach voting Tory. I didn't vote Lib Dem, but if I had and they got into bed with the Tories I'd be livid.

That's my take on it as well SLP. Tactical blunder imo, and will not advance the cause of PR. I think it would also paralyse the country as I doubt Cameron could get anything through Parliament.

Christ, what a mess.

I voted Lib Dem and it wouldn't make me livid, I prefer to see democracy in action....the Tories have won most votes....it's their government to form.

Fucking sick of party political games where MPs serve their own interests and ignore the voters.

Is it definitely a referendum issue? I reckon the vast majority of the electorate wouldn't understand the repercussions of what was being asked.

Same with all referendums - and elections.

Christ, what a mess.

I voted Lib Dem and it wouldn't make me livid, I prefer to see democracy in action....the Tories have won most votes....it's their government to form.

Fucking sick of party political games where MPs serve their own interests and ignore the voters.

Hardly democracy though when the ruling party is a minority.

Christ, what a mess.

The largest minority though.

The only way to resolve that problem is electoral reform innit?

Edited by Happy Face

Bad news for holiday makers anyway, the pound is taking a kicking on the Forex. Cleggs comments lifted it off the bottom though.

Good for exports bad for bankers. :)

Christ, what a mess.

The largest minority though.

The only way to resolve that problem is electoral reform innit?

Which won't happen under the Conservatives, innit? :)