General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's seeking collaboration with the Lib Dems with them as lap dogs. Sad stuff.

...but can't offer PR, skirted around it. Also Lib Dems won't agree to tackling deficit immediately.

The thing is, if the Lib Dems pulled out of a coalition and caused the government to fail then that would be a massive victory for those against PR.

If the Lib dems buy this horseshit I will be truely disappointed. How many times has he said 'stong and stable government'? Awful stuff from Cameron. What a cunt.

tbf Renton, given the same position Brown would be doing exactly the same. They're all in it for themselves.

Out of the three I think Clegg is trying to see it from the country's perspective more than the other two.

...but can't offer PR, skirted around it. Also Lib Dems won't agree to tackling deficit immediately.

He'll equalise constituency populations. Whoopy do.

tbf Renton, given the same position Brown would be doing exactly the same. They're all in it for themselves.

Out of the three I think Clegg is trying to see it from the country's perspective more than the other two.

Labour and Liberal are natural bed fellows though. That made me want to puke.

Not being accustomed to this hung parliament business, is it acceptable for Cameron to he talking like he's the daddy now. Is this standard practice?

:) Apparently so.

Not being accustomed to this hung parliament business, is it acceptable for Cameron to he talking like he's the daddy now. Is this standard practice?

I honestly thought the incumbent PM gets the first chance.

What gives you that impression?

Because I think Clegg is coming at it with the economy in mind. The other two are just hell bent on staying / getting inside 10 Downing Street.

IMO.

http://blogs.ft.com/undercover/2010/05/why...-cent-of-votes/

It might seem unfair that the Liberal Democrats have received 23 per cent of the votes but just 8 per cent of the seats, while the Labour party has 29 per cent of the votes but five times as many seats. But it’s naive to think that 8 per cent of the seats translates to 8 per cent of the influence.

For example, imagine a 100-seat parliament with seats distributed Blue: 40, Red: 30, Yellow: 25 and Green: 5. Imagine which combinations of parties could win a majority and you realise the three big parties might just as well have been given one vote each, with no votes for Green, which is never the decisive partner that makes or breaks a coalition.

There are two commonly used ways of translating voting blocks into voting power, the Shapley-Shubik method and the Banzhaf-Penrose method. (Want them explaining? Wait for my column.) But suffice to say that assuming 307 Tory MPs, 261 Labour MPs and 55 Lib Dem MPs, both methods conclude that Labour and the Liberal Democrats actually have the same voting power. With 23 per cent of the votes, the Liberal Democrats actually have 23-24 per cent of the voting power. The Conservatives have 37-38 per cent of the voting power, just fractionally above their share of the popular vote. (Evidently, these blank-slate methods omit some important considerations, such as ideology.)

If you want to do these calcluations yourself, go to Professor Dennis Leech’s website and click on ipdirect or ssdirect. “Quota” is 326 and the allocation of seats currently looks something like.

1 1 1 3 3 6 8 55 261 306

Paste it in and tweak to your taste.

Last night, when everyone was saying “this looks like a hung parliament and a bad night for the Liberal Democrats”, that statement struck me as absurd. The mathematics back me up.

http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~ecaae/

Camerons speech....

Quite simply brilliant. He is the man, the stability the change.

Simply brilliant.

It's amazing two people of the same species can disagree so much. It was awful man. :)

Camerons speech....

Quite simply brilliant. He is the man, the stability the change.

Simply brilliant.

It's amazing two people of the same species can disagree so much. It was awful man. :(

See the Neanderthal thread :)