Prince Phillip

Christmas Tree

Huw Borland, Sky News Online

The Duke of Edinburgh asked a sea cadet if she worked at a strip club, according to reports.

Prince Philip had joined the Queen on a visit to Wyvern Barracks in Exeter on Thursday when he asked Elizabeth Rendle what she did for a living.

The 24-year-old, a member of the Barnstaple Sea Cadets, told him she worked in a nightclub.

Philip, 88, then asked if it was a strip club, before joking that it was "probably too cold for that anyway", she told The Sun.

Miss Rendle added: "We were all laughing and I didn't take any offence. I think he was just putting people at their ease."

The incident was the latest in a long line of Royal gaffes by the Duke.

He once told Paraguayan dictator General Stroessner: "It's a pleasure to be in a country that isn't ruled by its people."

He also dashed a 13-year-old boy's ambitions when he told him: "You're too fat to be an astronaut."

And he once told a group from the British Deaf Association who were standing near a band: "Deaf? If you're near there, no wonder you are deaf."

In 2002, Philip asked an indigenous Australian: "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

The same year he asked a driving instructor in Scotland: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?"

Back in 1986, he commented to a group of British students in China: "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed."

The Royal visit to Exeter was part of celebrations to mark 150 years of the Sea Cadets movement.

I think he's a parasite of the highest order but there's nothing wrong with the latest "gaffe" imo.

I agree, but there are some pearlers in there.

Aye, but personally I found only a couple a bit offensive, depending on how serious he was being. I prefer him to his jug-eared cunt of a son in any case.

I think he's a parasite of the highest order but there's nothing wrong with the latest "gaffe" imo.

I agree, but there are some pearlers in there.

Aye, but personally I found only a couple a bit offensive, depending on how serious he was being. I prefer him to his jug-eared cunt of a son in any case.

If he genuninely thought he was having a laugh with someone - as the latest one suggests - then I'd say they were all excusable (just about).

Of course I guess theres an argument as to whether someone in his position should share a joke with people but I'd echo your comment about the idiot in waiting.

Compared to what most people say (often taking the piss anyway) and what a lot of people think (often being serious) I don't think he's offensive at all really. I also quite like the way he clearly couldn't give a fuck what people think. I hate what him and Royals represent but that's a different thing.

all the comments sound like something anyone might say if they've had a few too many.

Does the prince have a drinking problem?

you've been watching too many Australian soaps

I couldnt give a shite about the Royals one way or another, but the stuff he says occassionally is fuck all to what we all hear every day taking the piss. I find it pretty funny mostly, as above, mainly because I like how he doesnt give a fuck. As someone who (mostly) opposses OTT political correctness, I always have a wry smile when I read the latest stuff he's said.