who do you think will cut it in the premiership?

Dr Gloom

Harper, Enrique, S Taylor, Coloccini, Jonas, Carrol & Routlege (Possibly). Williamson, Lovenkrands, Barton, Simpson, Krul, Gutherie & Smith for back up.

Can't beleive so many are dismissing Colo out of hand. He is clearly a class above this league and he actually started well in the premiership before the shit hit the fan. Given that he's now had time to settle in and the club isn't in quite so much of a mess, I think he would do pretty well. Not saying he'd look as good as what he has in the CCC but he'd still look better than most defenders we've had in the top flight recently.

Id run with this myself. Colo had a poor first season but Id be interested to see how he done next. I think he'd be much improved. Though the whole squad will have to step up and get used to playing decent sides again with alot less time.

Plus when you say cut it, Im just looking for a side that wont be relegated, Im not expecting miracles.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper, Enrique, S Taylor, Coloccini, Jonas, Carrol & Routlege (Possibly). Williamson, Lovenkrands, Barton, Simpson, Krul, Gutherie & Smith for back up.

Can't beleive so many are dismissing Colo out of hand. He is clearly a class above this league and he actually started well in the premiership before the shit hit the fan. Given that he's now had time to settle in and the club isn't in quite so much of a mess, I think he would do pretty well. Not saying he'd look as good as what he has in the CCC but he'd still look better than most defenders we've had in the top flight recently.

Id run with this myself. Colo had a poor first season but Id be interested to see how he done next. I think he'd be much improved. Though the whole squad will have to step up and get used to playing decent sides again with alot less time.

Plus when you say cut it, Im just looking for a side that wont be relegated, Im not expecting miracles.

So we need 8 new players, 4 first teamers and 4 more for back-up?

I think that's going much too far (not to mention living in cloud cuckoo land if you think Ashley will cover it).

One new pacy midfielder getting Butt's wages and one new top flight quality striker getting Geremi's will do the job. A left back to cover for Enrique would be nice too like.

Edited by Happy Face

Guest Barrack Road

Keep

Krul

Enrique

Steven Taylor

Nolan

Willamson

Routledge

Lovenkrands

...and systematically remove everyone else over a two year period. That's what I would do, we'd get decent fees for a lot of them too.

I thought we looked pretty decent at the back when Beye-Coloccini-Bassong-Enrique played there last season. That was despite the pressure that was put on them by not being able to control the game in midfield. Coloccini isn't particularly fast, strong or good in the air though so needs a big strong lad alongside him. His big strength is that he reads the game well when he sweeps.

Keep

Krul

Enrique

Steven Taylor

Nolan

Willamson

Routledge

Lovenkrands

...and systematically remove everyone else over a two year period. That's what I would do, we'd get decent fees for a lot of them too.

You wouldnt keep Barton who has proved he can keep a club in the top flight? Or Colocinni? Or Gutierrez? Personally i would sell Nolan and look to get someone with pace and strength to play along Guthrie who i see as capable of playing a similar role as Carrick. I think we need a new right back and a new striker, if sunderland go down we should try and get Benteee. I think we have 4 defenders and 4 midfielders who are good enough to start prem games. I'd want to strengthen that starting 4 in midfield though and RB is not covered in that.

For stikers its a bit complicated. I think Carroll has started to develop as a decent striker this season, its been a year of development for him so you've got to hope he can translate that into a step up to the top flight. I see Lovenkrands as decent but was not happy with his overall performances when we were up there. Maybe that will change and would agree he should be kept. Ranger is one for the future still, Best i dont think is good enough but i wouldnt know and Shola is a possible. If the mackems go down, i'd suggest Bent, like i suggested 2/3 seasons ago and was laughed at.

Keep

Krul

Enrique

Steven Taylor

Nolan

Willamson

Routledge

Lovenkrands

You wouldnt keep Barton who has proved he can keep a club in the top flight? Or Colocinni? Or Gutierrez? Personally i would sell Nolan and look to get someone with pace and strength to play along Guthrie who i see as capable of playing a similar role as Carrick. I think we need a new right back and a new striker, if sunderland go down we should try and get Benteee. I think we have 4 defenders and 4 midfielders who are good enough to start prem games. I'd want to strengthen that starting 4 in midfield though and RB is not covered in that.

For stikers its a bit complicated. I think Carroll has started to develop as a decent striker this season, its been a year of development for him so you've got to hope he can translate that into a step up to the top flight. I see Lovenkrands as decent but was not happy with his overall performances when we were up there. Maybe that will change and would agree he should be kept. Ranger is one for the future still, Best i dont think is good enough but i wouldnt know and Shola is a possible. If the mackems go down, i'd suggest Bent, like i suggested 2/3 seasons ago and was laughed at.

Get Crouch. He isn't getting a club game and is about to win a world cup....and we have to have an England striker.

:lol:

I think that's going much too far (not to mention living in cloud cuckoo land if you think Ashley will cover it).

One new pacy midfielder getting Butt's wages and one new top flight quality striker getting Geremi's will do the job. A left back to cover for Enrique would be nice too like.

i hope that ashley has learnt from his mistakes. i'm not expecting massive investment but this group of players failed last time. if we're to avoid another relegation battle i think he's going to need to bring in at least 5 players capable of going straight into the first team.

i hope that ashley has learnt from his mistakes. i'm not expecting massive investment but this group of players failed last time. if we're to avoid another relegation battle i think he's going to need to bring in at least 5 players capable of going straight into the first team.

Not quite this group. The whole club was falling apart at the seams, there was huge disruption off the pitch and no-one wanted to be at the club, if anyone else was interested in signing them. We underachieved to a massive degree getting relegated with the squad we had.

I think our best bet is to a large extent sticking with the players that have got us promoted, with a tweak or two here and there. A couple of bad results early on with a squad that haven't gelled and have no heart for the club could lead to a nightmare imo.

Edited by Happy Face

I still think we got relegated largely because of a piss poor midfield and that's what needs addressing - probably with 2 or 3 players especially if Smith does leave.

I'd try and re-sign Beye as well.

I still think we got relegated largely because of a piss poor midfield and that's what needs addressing - probably with 2 or 3 players especially if Smith does leave.

I agree but I'd also add we need a goalscorer. Not a massive fan of Owen or Martins but, even with their injuries, they'd be a cut above what we currently have in attack.

Realistically Id think a new CF (Carrol is doing ok, as is Lov, but neither are of the quality we need in the Prem).

Then a new CM. Butt may well retire, Smith has his moments but Im really unsure about his long term use. Guthrie could come good but Id like to see a bit more pace from the MF. Our starting wingers are pacey but in the prem Im unsure of their final ball.

A RB, getting Beye back would be fantastic if unlikely.

I like the pairing in the centre of Colo & Taylor with Williamson as back up.

I agree but I'd also add we need a goalscorer. Not a massive fan of Owen or Martins but, even with their injuries, they'd be a cut above what we currently have in attack.

Definitely - Carroll and Lovenkrands have earned a chance but I'm not convinced they'd be good enough - jury obviously out on Best and jury in on Shola as being shit.

Not quite this group. The whole club was falling apart at the seams, there was huge disruption off the pitch and no-one wanted to be at the club, if anyone else was interested in signing them. We underachieved to a massive degree getting relegated with the squad we had.

I think our best bet is to a large extent sticking with the players that have got us promoted, with a tweak or two here and there. A couple of bad results early on with a squad that haven't gelled and have no heart for the club could lead to a nightmare imo.

i dunno, i see your point but i wouldn't really fancy any of our current first choice forwards, centre midfielders or our right back being our first choice in their position next season. agree with what you're saying about getting the balance of new players coming in right so that it doesn't disrupt the team ethic though.

Realistically Id think a new CF (Carrol is doing ok, as is Lov, but neither are of the quality we need in the Prem).

Then a new CM. Butt may well retire, Smith has his moments but Im really unsure about his long term use. Guthrie could come good but Id like to see a bit more pace from the MF. Our starting wingers are pacey but in the prem Im unsure of their final ball.

A RB, getting Beye back would be fantastic if unlikely.

I like the pairing in the centre of Colo & Taylor with Williamson as back up.

I thought they were canny dodgy together last year though.

i dunno, i see your point but i wouldn't really fancy any of our current first choice forwards, centre midfielders or our right back being our first choice in their position next season. agree with what you're saying about getting the balance of new players coming in right so that it doesn't disrupt the team ethic though.

Put it this way: stick Kevin Davies upfront for us next year (without the addition of any other strikers) and we'll really struggle to stay up in imo. Then consider how he's better than any of our target men. Then if you really want to be depressed, think about how he's probably out of the range of what Ashley is willing to spend on a striker anyway.

Guthrie who i see as capable of playing a similar role as Carrick.

That's crazy talk.

Carrick is to Guthrie what Winona Ryder is to Fizz off Corrie.

Guthrie's passing is very erratic, I've seen him have games where 5 yard passes prove difficult.

I see alot of people now are swaying towards the view that the squad we have no is pretty near to being good enough to stay up in the PL with a few new players.

Interesting when the vast majority on here not so long ago were saying we'd need a whole new first team.

Some have been overly negative like.

By no means is this a squad to get above 10th but its a squad with a few additions that COULD get close to mid-table in our 1st season back....THEN we need a fair few players to make the step up.

Call it premature but at the start of next season id be hoping that within 3 years we would be in a position to challenge for europe again.

Put it this way: stick Kevin Davies upfront for us next year (without the addition of any other strikers) and we'll really struggle to stay up in imo. Then consider how he's better than any of our target men. Then if you really want to be depressed, think about how he's probably out of the range of what Ashley is willing to spend on a striker anyway.

I think he'd be a fantastic signing.

I think he'd be a fantastic signing.

It was just a name plucked out of the air but I do think he's a canny player. Never been prolific though (or even close) and we'd still need a striker who could score alongside him. I used him because he's a bit like what we have, only better.

That's crazy talk.

Guthrie's passing is very erratic, I've seen him have games where 5 yard passes prove difficult.

Fair enough he is no Carrick but i agree with Chez that he can play that "role" picking the ball up deep and looking to spread play.

Yes at times his passing is inconsistent but he is finding some form and i think many will agree that should he get a sustained run in CM then he will only get better and more consistent!

That's crazy talk.

I think his passing is his best part of his game, he has good technique but he doesnt have the pace or strength of more robust midfielders. What else is making him man of the match recently? He is not playing as a ball winning midfielder presumably.

I dont think its that crazy to say that someone is 'capable of playing a similar role' to someone else with similar attributes as an athlete.