Barton completes 45 Minutes

Christmas Tree

CHRIS Hughton believes that Joey Barton will gain confidence from an impressive 45-minute run out during Monday's behind-closed-doors victory against Hibernian.

The Scouse schemer was enjoying his first taste of competitive action since undergoing foot surgery in early October and was in the thick of the action throughout an energetic first-half display.

Indeed, it was from Barton's clever flick that Faroe Islands midfielder Joan Edmundsson raced clear before smashing home the opening goal on 27 minutes.

And boss Hughton told nufcTV that the 27-year-old will feel good following his first outing in more than five months.

"Forty-five minutes was enough at this stage and the important thing was that he came through with no ill effects," said Chris after the 4-1 win which also included goals from Leon Best and Nile Ranger.

"It was a comfortable game for him but it was also competitive.

"There's never any doubt with Joey the ability he has, and we expected him to be fully involved in the game.

"He was involved in a lot of the action and that will be good for his confidence.

"He'll feel good just being back out there with a pair of football boots on and it was a good workout for him."

I would love to see him and Guthrie given a go in the middle but wonder if we will ever see a decent run of form from him. He certainly has something extra if only he could show more of it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CHRIS Hughton believes that Joey Barton will gain confidence from an impressive 45-minute run out during Monday's behind-closed-doors victory against Hibernian.

The Scouse schemer was enjoying his first taste of competitive action since undergoing foot surgery in early October and was in the thick of the action throughout an energetic first-half display.

Indeed, it was from Barton's clever flick that Faroe Islands midfielder Joan Edmundsson raced clear before smashing home the opening goal on 27 minutes.

And boss Hughton told nufcTV that the 27-year-old will feel good following his first outing in more than five months.

"Forty-five minutes was enough at this stage and the important thing was that he came through with no ill effects," said Chris after the 4-1 win which also included goals from Leon Best and Nile Ranger.

"There's never any doubt with Joey the ability he has, and we expected him to be fully involved in the game.

"He was involved in a lot of the action and that will be good for his confidence.

"He'll feel good just being back out there with a pair of football boots on and it was a good workout for him."

I would love to see him and Guthrie given a go in the middle but wonder if we will ever see a decent run of form from him. He certainly has something extra if only he could show more of it.

Good to see!

Hope he can chip in with a few solid performances and a few goals from now till the end of the season, that and stay out of trouble.

Good to see!

Hope he can chip in with a few solid performances and a few goals from now till the end of the season, that and stay out of trouble.

I hope I can have a threesome with Jessica Alba and Keira Knightley by the end of this week but I don't see that happening either.

Good to see!

I hope I can have a threesome with Jessica Alba and Keira Knightley by the end of this week but I don't see that happening either.

:blush: What about Kate Beckinsale and Katie Melua? Yes please! :lol:

Edited by Geordie Lad...

Barton makes Woodgate and Owen look like they were ever present for us.

He's definitely up there with the likes of Marcelino as the worst signings of recent times. Owen and Woodgate did at least make some important contributions.

and Shola.

:lol: Lets not forget the Fenham Pele. Incidentally, I'm surprised there hasn't been an interview with Barton letting us know how he's changed and learnt his lesson and how he knows he has a lot to prove. We must be due one.

Good to see!

Hang on, I'll give them a nudge (I've just finished with them) and ask them if they're up for it.

and Shola.

:lol: Lets not forget the Fenham Pele. Incidentally, I'm surprised there hasn't been an interview with Barton letting us know how he's changed and learnt his lesson and how he knows he has a lot to prove. We must be due one.

I believed the first interview like. :blush:

Edited by khay

hopefully we can get rid of the odious twat in the summer

precisely, the only reason I'd like to see him ever pull on our shirt again is to get a bit of interest in him going then he can fuck off

I personally hope he can come back and recapture the form he showed at Citeh then he can stay but if he doesnt show willing and put in some decent performances i too would hope he goes a journey in the summer.

That said...watch he will fuckin turn out to be class for whoever signs him.

Barton is proof that the law of averages will bite you in the end. Our oddious twat count is pretty high so sooner or later one or more of them are going to royally fuck you over:

Dyer

Woodgate

Bellamy

Bowyer

Barton

The previous regime clearly liked to take a 'gamble' on problem players.

Barton is proof that the law of averages will bite you in the end. Our oddious twat count is pretty high so sooner or later one or more of them are going to royally fuck you over:

Dyer

Woodgate

Bellamy

Bowyer

Barton

You forgot Ferguson. :lol:

Dyer

Woodgate

Bellamy

Bowyer

Barton

You forgot Ferguson. :lol:

I never thought Ferguson was an odious twat.

Barton's had some bad luck with injuries (or we've had some bad luck with Barton). To be fair, Steven Carr showed that the club is woefully inept at rehabilitating players after serious injury. I hope he isn't rushed back too soon and is allowed the time needed to fully recover.

Not sure if we should sell him. He's been a terrible signing and is seriously overpaid if tales of him being on 60k a week are true. However he's one of the few CM we have that might actually be able to cut it in the prem if he regained his Man City form.

I do recall being very excited about him signing. I thought he was regularly excellent for Man City.

It's fair to say I've been somewhat disappointed.

the only thing that lived up to expectations was the off field crap. his performances and injuries make him one of he worse signings of recent years when you look at how much he cost and his wages. can't understand why so many still seem to think he'll come good. awful signing

We're not going to be able to sell him anyway so I say all we can do is hope that by some small miracle he doesn't have any further injury problems and can get a little bit of time on the pitch between now and the end of the season as well as a full off-season to lead him into next season.

It's been a long time since he has played decent football, so it's a big ask to expect anything from him but hopefully he still has some personal pride left as he has a hell of a lot to prove.

I do recall being very excited about him signing. I thought he was regularly excellent for Man City.

It's fair to say I've been somewhat disappointed.

the only thing that lived up to expectations was the off field crap. his performances and injuries make him one of he worse signings of recent years when you look at how much he cost and his wages. can't understand why so many still seem to think he'll come good. awful signing

He should've been lynched after Anfield last season but hanging is too good for the cunt. I'm not usually too critical of some of the piss poor bunch we've had over the years but this fucker takes the biscuit. And to think some people think Bellamy is a horrible git....Barton makes him look like Kofi Annan :lol:

If we could get rid we should. The players will need to stick together next season and he's not an ideal cnadidate to create harmony. He may stub a cigar out in someones eye. This prick will never change and I dont want to read another self pitying pile of bollocks saying that he will.