Llambias - Fans that criticise are "not reasonable"

Happy Face

Why's anyone pinning any hope on bringing in talented youth when the Bassong example shows exactly what Ashley does with even the lowest paid, highest value for money squad members that can generate a profit.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why's anyone pinning any hope on bringing in talented youth when the Bassong example shows exactly what Ashley does with even the lowest paid, highest value for money squad members that can generate a profit.

Because the first priority after relegation was to stem the cash flowing out of the club by way of cutting the wage bill, slashing jobs and getting money into the coffers.

Not pleasant but given relegation the only option.

Because the first priority after relegation was to stem the cash flowing out of the club by way of cutting the wage bill, slashing jobs and getting money into the coffers.

Not pleasant but given relegation the only option.

Aye, and Zoggy and Milner?

I'm not saying he's wrong stem the flow of cash out of the club by the way. He should have been doing that the first year he was here rather than spending as wildly as Shepherd had.

He can't reduce the debt by keeping hold of good young players others are willing to pay for though.

Edited by Happy Face

Good laugh watching Llambias on Look North last night.

He was sad that he and Mike can't go out for a drink on the town any more.

God knows why if it's only a small, unreasonable minority that hold a grudge.

:icon_lol:

Bassong wanted to go etc. but he'd have sold him to anyone making a similar bid in a shot, even if we'd stayed up. I can't back this up but I'm sure I'm right.

Bassong wanted to go etc. but he'd have sold him to anyone making a similar bid in a shot, even if we'd stayed up. I can't back this up but I'm sure I'm right.

Aye. But so will any young talent when there's a £15k salary cap.

I think it was just because we went down, plus the club was a total mess etc. Although you're correct about in the long run.

Edited by alex

I think it was just because we went down, plus the club was a total mess etc. Although you're correct about in the long run.

I should have said "and" rather than "but". I don't think we disagree. :icon_lol:

Yep. 8 million for him with such little experience is good business as he did have some big weaknesses.

This season he hasn't really been needed at all and next season would have been the final year of his three year contract. At the end of that he could have left for nothing. Business wise it was defintely the right decision, and team wise it didn't work out too poorly.

At the other end of the spectrum, as much as it pains me to praise the mackem set-up...

Sunderland's chairman, Niall Quinn, has said the club's latest accounts will show a loss, but only because of their investment in the team. The audited figures are due to be released in the next few weeks, but Quinn and the chief executive Steve Walton say the club remain on a firm financial footing with the owner, Ellis Short, having converted a £48m loan into shares last summer.

Quinn said: "We are about to release our audited figures in the next few weeks and I'm happy that will provide more enlightenment for our fans. The accounts will show the word loss, but that should really be interpreted as extra signings. We could easily have shown a profit, but we wouldn't have [Michael] Turner, [Darren] Bent, [Lee] Cattermole or [Lorik] Cana. We have a situation now where we have a great chance of going forward."

Walton said: "The really important thing for the fans is that we have a solid financial base, and that's what having a solid owner does for us. There's one thing I want to emphasise: recently, we have seen Chelsea and Manchester City come out and say their owners have capitalised their loans.

"What that means is they have taken loans they have put into the club and converted them into shares. The money is then effectively there forever and can't be withdrawn, so it's a very powerful thing to do.

"Well, we did that last year. With the help of Ellis Short, we capitalised £48m last July. We just did it and didn't make a song and dance about it. That made us much stronger. We spent more than we earned last year and we did that because we wanted to take the club to another level.

"We could only do that because our owner allowed us to. I can't believe that many clubs will show a stronger balance sheet and reduced debt. Not only did we cover off the investments, Ellis Short gave us money to reduce our external bank debts as well. It's a really strong and powerful picture going forward."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/ma...and-make-a-loss

Yep. 8 million for him with such little experience is good business as he did have some big weaknesses.

This season he hasn't really been needed at all and next season would have been the final year of his three year contract. At the end of that he could have left for nothing. Business wise it was defintely the right decision, and team wise it didn't work out too poorly.

You really go to fucking ridiculous lengths to put a positive spin on things ;) He's the centre-half we've been crying out for for years imo. He's big, strong, powerful and fast. A little raw perhaps but that ties in with him being young so I see that as another plus rather than a weakness. He cost next to nowt as well. Plus, any financial gain has been swallowed up by the relegation. I suppose it made financial sense to sell him once we went down but he's different class to what we have going into next season.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcas...72703-26018039/

Check the comments out. If these aren't generated from within the club I'll eat my own cock.

I read that earleir and was quite surprised how "for" Ashley the comments were. Was going to post it myself...... ;)

I think they do reflect how the majority feel and that they just want to "move on". Even after all that has happened the current position is creating dare I say a "feel good factor".

Naturally we chew these things over more regularly than a lot of fans and by the very nature of the internet set up have some very trenched in positions.

I can hand on heart say 99% of fans that get in the cab just talk about the positive aspects of the Toon and not the Ashley / Llambias sagas.

Check the comments out. If these aren't generated from within the club I'll eat my own cock.

I read that earleir and was quite surprised how "for" Ashley the comments were. Was going to post it myself...... ;)

I think they do reflect how the majority feel and that they just want to "move on". Even after all that has happened the current position is creating dare I say a "feel good factor".

Naturally we chew these things over more regularly than a lot of fans and by the very nature of the internet set up have some very trenched in positions.

I can hand on heart say 99% of fans that get in the cab just talk about the positive aspects of the Toon and not the Ashley / Llambias sagas.

While I do want to 'move on' I'd rather it wasn't with two proven liars like Ashley or Llambias, they might as well bring Aldrige Prior in as their PR man.

seriously.... you need to get more fares.

saynotoshepherd wrote:

I'm fed up of hearing the constant criticism at games levelled at Mike Ashley. For some, it's hard to accept, but this man has saved us from freefall with good management and business skills. It might not be what we wanted, but he's slowly turning this club around from those thoughtless days of the Halls and Shepherd when money was spent we didn't have. Thank you Mr Ashley.

Unbelievable. Fair enough if he gets us back in the top flight and competing, but thanking him for bringing in Keggers, signing everyone up to 3 year season tickets, then fucking Keeglar off, lying to the fans repeatedly, bringing in Dennis Wise, Dennis Wise FFS, selling almost all of our decent players, putting £100 million 'loan' into the club, trying to sell us every single opportunity, etc, etc.

He is still far in the negative imo, and the fact we are now top of a terrible league is likely as much down to the fact he couldn't sell good players on expensive contracts as anything else.

Halls and Sheperd were not perfect, but thanking Mike for taking us to our knees? Well you're sucking his dick while you're down there tbh.

I hope I am proved wrong next season and we do okay, but I think he'll spend nothing, probably make a net profit in the window again and Hughton will be found lacking in the PL. Then people will be saying things like, well we should just accept we are not a big club anymore and he has steadied the ship. FUCK THAT, we should be top six, regularly in Europe and not constantly lied to and treated like mugs.

Edited by trophyshy

saynotoshepherd wrote:

I'm fed up of hearing the constant criticism at games levelled at Mike Ashley. For some, it's hard to accept, but this man has saved us from freefall with good management and business skills. It might not be what we wanted, but he's slowly turning this club around from those thoughtless days of the Halls and Shepherd when money was spent we didn't have. Thank you Mr Ashley.

Incredible point of view if it's anyone but Llambias.

Ashley has loaned the club vast quantities more than Shepherd ever had to borrow.

Plus, any financial gain has been swallowed up by the relegation. I suppose it made financial sense to sell him once we went down but he's different class to what we have going into next season.

Money coming in is required to help financially when the income takes a big hit as it does with relegation. I agree though that he's a different type of player to what we have in that he's a big physical central defender who isn't slow. Hopefully they can get back scouting over in France as their league is in quite a strong position at the moment, so with a bit of luck, and a lot of optimism :yes maybe they can find another Bassong or similar.

Where do they get this shit?

http://www.sport.co.uk/features/Football/8..._direction.aspx

When you hear the words Mike Ashley and Newcastle in the same sentence you think of re-naming stadiums, relegation, resentment and regret. But what about renewed optimism, results, regained confidence and a return to the Premier League.

It may be a surprise to many Newcastle fans that one could even consider the notion that Ashley has been a success on Tyneside.  But this season has undoubtedly been the best in his short and eventful tenure. It has also seen him transform from beer-swilling fan to shrewd business man. If I have lost any of you, then my apologies. But I beg everyone to give this a chance and see how Mike Ashley is slowly steering the Geordies in the right direction.

Financial saviour

Firstly, in simple terms, he saved the club from going bankrupt. Had he not invested, Newcastle United could well have been following Portsmouth to the High Court. The finances of the previous regime were severely mismanaged; this was never truer than when they spent four year‘s worth of sponsorship money on a package to bring Michael Owen to the club.

He has kept them going and although his choices have contributed to their demise, it was not the only factor. The rot had set in a long time before; all the way back to the sacking of Sir Bobby Robson for finishing fifth.

Foresight

Since Newcastle dropped out of the top flight, it has been rumoured that the club is losing over £500,000 per week. A deficit he had to cover with a £20 million cash injection from his own personal wealth. There was criticism when St James’ Park was re-named, but clubs need to sustain themselves and this is a simple way of raising finance.

Brands such as Emirates, Reebok and Walkers have their names associated with football stadiums and the clubs concerned are financially better off as a result. Granted, the fact that in the short term he chose his own company meant he probably deserved the criticism. However in the long term, if this was to bring in extra capital that could be re-invested, then surely it‘s a good thing.

Flash forward two years and this extra revenue has been spent on a new number 9 who scores the winning goal against Sunderland.  Then find me a Newcastle fan who still says it was the wrong decision.

Future Planning

The darkest moment of Mr Ashley’s reign was the Kevin Keegan fiasco and the catalyst: Dennis Wise. Now although I disagree with the decision to appoint Wise and that players were signed based on YouTube clips; I do have sympathy for what the owner was trying to achieve.

He wanted to change the perception of Newcastle; no longer would the likes of Luque, Boumsong, and Emre be allowed to come for bumper paydays. Top four rejects like Alan Smith and Nicky Butt would not be paid as though they were still amongst Europe’s elite.  He wanted to bring in players with something to prove and widen the scouting network to find up and coming stars.

This may not have been executed very well last season, but this campaign; he has got it spot on. Out are the overpaid, over hyped- Viduka, Martins, Geremi and Owen. In come Williamson, Routledge, Best and Simpson. All these players were bought at a good price and have their best years ahead. This is sensible business foresight and will give Newcastle a fantastic platform on which to build.

Fresh Approach

He seems to have followed this model with his manager too.  Many will argue that it was more luck than judgement, but credit where it’s due. Ashley has stuck by Chris Hughton even when the decision made him even more unpopular with the Toon Army. It’s easy to forget, but cast your mind back and remember the clamour for Alan Shearer in the summer.

This decision has been rewarded with the team sitting pretty at the top of the Championship and chants of ‘One Chris Hughton’ at the last home match, proves that certain sections are being won over.

Final word

Obviously cracks can be papered over with good results on the pitch and there’s no doubt that next season will prove a sterner test if they are promoted. However question marks still remain as to whether Ashley will try and sell up in the summer and re-coup some of his £250 million investment. The fact that even promotion will not make some fans forgive and forget, may also have an influence on his decision.

Of course this is all guess work, but it would be nice to see everyone pulling in the same direction for once, all wanting the best for the club. Maybe the success of this season can be a blueprint for the future, the start of something great. But this is Newcastle United and if history tells us anything; there are undoubtedly more twists and turns to come.

:yes

EDIT:....oh aye, it's from Llambarse

Edited by Happy Face