Bulger killer back inside

Craig

PS universal compulsary temporary sterilisation to an age of society's choosing. If a safe, reversible method existed. Any thoughts?

What are the qualifying conditions, though? Work them out, and I'm right behind you. Anyone 'south of the river' would be a good opener methinks :blush:

EDIT: Okay, that's a wee bit far fetched. Let's say 'south of the river' as far as N.Yorkshire moors, eh?

Good job I'm not advocating a system which discriminates based on attaining basic literacy standards or you'd still be shooting blanks, sunshine :icon_lol:

Smish smash. What's a word between friends, I ask. I didn't go to university, so I am allowed to miss words ;)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS universal compulsary temporary sterilisation to an age of society's choosing. If a safe, reversible method existed. Any thoughts?

Having the implanon (implant about 1/3 the size of a toothpick that releases progesterones providing contraception, like the mini-pill for those who know what it is) inserted in all girls at the onset of periods is probably the best option. Fewer risks (blood clots, cancers, migraines) than the normal pill as well.

Problems are that it needs replacing every 3 years and determined women could always hack it out of their arm.

Can it not be rammed up the poop chute, to paraphrase Mr. Zappa? ;)

I'm not sure how efficacious it would be as I'm not sure what the absorption rates are, but that had crossed my mind. :icon_lol:

James Whale frequently advocated that on Talksport (not sure if he's still on) on his late night phone-in. Difficult to argue against the logic although you could imagine the ridiculous large lawsuits once it started to go wrong and meant people could never have kids. Maybe that's why you're in favour of it :icon_lol:

James Whale frequently advocated that on Talksport (not sure if he's still on) on his late night phone-in. Difficult to argue against the logic although you could imagine the ridiculous large lawsuits once it started to go wrong and meant people could never have kids. Maybe that's why you're in favour of it ;)

Not seen James Whale since he was on the box at about 1am in the early 90's. :icon_lol:

There'd be some really sad outcomes where, for one reason or another, it proved to be irreversible. And aye, that'd probably result in some large scale damages payouts. On balance though nothing compared to the cruelty inflicted on kids (and society) by kids being raised by mong parents and nothing compared to the financial outlay required to deal with the effects of this.

Some people go further and advocate a system whereby the sterilisation is only reversed when the prospective parent demonstrates various measures of emtional maturity/independence etc etc. I'm not massively offended by that suggestion at all in theory because the stakes for society are so high, but in practice you worry it'd all get a bit Orwellian-plus it'd be an obvious human rights field day.

Basically reversal at a fixed arbitrary age doesnt discriminate against anyone more than the next person so theres no human rights problems for me. It's still no guarantee that people would be ready to have kids at whatever the statutory age might be, but you have to hope that on balance they'd be better equipped than at 15/16 etc. If those people had to wait an extra 10 years before reproducing, thats 10 years where they can do some growing up and establishing themselves in the world/standing on their own two feet.

Luke's method is an interesting one. Ideally I'd favour a method that applied equally to lads though so that sexual responsibility wasnt shouldered entirely by the lasses. I think that's very important.

And seriously...plough all the fucking savings back into edyoocayshun for fuck's sake!

I feel old coming out with this shit btw.

Luke's method is an interesting one. Ideally I'd favour a method that applied equally to lads though so that sexual responsibility wasnt shouldered entirely by the lasses. I think that's very important.

Vasectomies are reversible but with varying success rates, particularly as time since the original procedure increases so I don't think that's a viable option.

James Whale frequently advocated that on Talksport (not sure if he's still on) on his late night phone-in. Difficult to argue against the logic although you could imagine the ridiculous large lawsuits once it started to go wrong and meant people could never have kids. Maybe that's why you're in favour of it ;)

Not seen James Whale since he was on the box at about 1am in the early 90's. :icon_lol:

There'd be some really sad outcomes where, for one reason or another, it proved to be irreversible. And aye, that'd probably result in some large scale damages payouts. On balance though nothing compared to the cruelty inflicted on kids (and society) by kids being raised by mong parents and nothing compared to the financial outlay required to deal with the effects of this.

Some people go further and advocate a system whereby the sterilisation is only reversed when the prospective parent demonstrates various measures of emtional maturity/independence etc etc. I'm not massively offended by that suggestion at all in theory because the stakes for society are so high, but in practice you worry it'd all get a bit Orwellian-plus it'd be an obvious human rights field day.

Basically reversal at a fixed arbitrary age doesnt discriminate against anyone more than the next person so theres no human rights problems for me. It's still no guarantee that people would be ready to have kids at whatever the statutory age might be, but you have to hope that on balance they'd be better equipped than at 15/16 etc. If those people had to wait an extra 10 years before reproducing, thats 10 years where they can do some growing up and establishing themselves in the world/standing on their own two feet.

And seriously...plough all the fucking savings back into edyoocayshun for fuck's sake!

Problem is always going to be - who decides? Massive in problem in this country though whereby certain sections of society see have a bairn, get a house, get on benefits as being a worthwhile ambition before they've finished being kids themselves. Fucking tragic really, especially for the kids.

Vasectomies are reversible but with varying success rates, particularly as time since the original procedure increases so I don't think that's a viable option.

Aye, that's in keeping with everything I've heard. It's a shame there's no common approach (while being obvious why not evn to a lay person such as myself given the vastly different biology :icon_lol:). I know it isn't technically necessary to intervene in both sexes to make the system work, I'm just uncomfortable with the idea of an approach which throws the entire 'effort' onto the one sex. I'm not into unnecessary surgery either mind; if there was some meaningful, non-surgical (non medical?) committment that lads could be made to undertake that might be an alternative.

Aye, that's in keeping with everything I've heard. It's a shame there's no common approach (while being obvious why not evn to a lay person such as myself given the vastly different biology :icon_lol:). I know it isn't technically necessary to intervene in both sexes to make the system work, I'm just uncomfortable with the idea of an approach which throws the entire 'effort' onto the one sex. I'm not into unnecessary surgery either mind; if there was some meaningful, non-surgical (non medical?) committment that lads could be made to undertake that might be an alternative.

Compulsory Hermoseckshwallity until 25.

Sorted ;)

Problem is always going to be - who decides? Massive in problem in this country though whereby certain sections of society see have a bairn, get a house, get on benefits as being a worthwhile ambition before they've finished being kids themselves. Fucking tragic really, especially for the kids.

Aye, precisely. And I think that one might be an insurmountable one.

A statutory age avoids any of that carry on. The electorate decides the age for itself.

It's well outside of my comfort zone as solutions go, but you'd hope after a couple of generations the law itself would be obsolete.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/cri...d-violence.html

The 27-year-old came to the attention of police on two previous occasions: once when he was caught snorting cocaine down an alleyway, and another time when he became involved in a row outside a nightclub, according to a report in the Daily Mirror.

Fuck me- Joey Barton is Venables! :icon_lol:

Returning to the original topic, one thing that has emerged in all this is that this is the first time either of the perpetrators has spent any time in an adult prison. Given the magnitude of their crime that doesn't seem at all right, even taking into consideration their ages. Neither does the length of time they served either.

This makes my brain feel the same as when I have a deep two minutes thinking about where the universe ends etc.

To think of 10 year olds that I know, I can not conceive of them carrying out such acts and therefore can not think of punishments with regard to a 10 year old.

I can only trust in the people who are trained in these matters to come to the right decision. I am sure legions of social workers, doctors, physcologists etc have an input.

These are such rare events they are better dealt with in this way than trying to legistate for them.

If this turns out to be drug related then I think what a fucking carry on for nowt.

by the way - it wasnt just the two young lads who were relocated with new identites, their families were too.

also - theres arguments about kids not really knowing what there doing and that they arnt emotionally developed and what not. but these 2 lads clearly did kow what they were doing - they laid the bairns body across the tracks so that it would appear that it had all been caused by a train accident. (the body was supposedly found cut in two by other kids playing on the tracks).

that means they knew they were doing wrong and tried to cover it up. Deliberate kidnapping, deliberate torture, deliberate murder and a deliberate cover up.

but still - they were 10 YEARS OLD.

how to you punish 10 years olds for murder? hang them? or lock them up never to see the light of day again?

killing them isnt the answer and im not sure locking them up is either (either in prison or in a special hospital) - i mean what sort of nutcases would they end up as? not to mention the cost.

so rehabilitation appears to be the lesser of two evils.

There was a piece on 5 Live this morning about this. A parallel was drawn about two boys in Norway who killed a young girl.

The way Norway dealt with the murder was in stark contrast to that of James Bulger's. In Norway, no children under 15 are prosecuted and the killers were back at kindergarten within a week.

The local community were encouraged to air their views and brought together to grieve openly. A team of counsellors was set up to work with the children in school. The strategy worked and, amazingly, there were no reprisals against either of the boys or their families. They were able to carry on living on the local housing estate.

IMO at six you have an awareness of right/wrong, but no great grasp of how heinous what they were doing was, is that something you'd appreciate by 10?

More info here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/corr...dent/803151.stm

There was a piece on 5 Live this morning about this. A parallel was drawn about two boys in Norway who killed a young girl.

The way Norway dealt with the murder was in stark contrast to that of James Bulger's. In Norway, no children under 15 are prosecuted and the killers were back at kindergarten within a week.

The local community were encouraged to air their views and brought together to grieve openly. A team of counsellors was set up to work with the children in school. The strategy worked and, amazingly, there were no reprisals against either of the boys or their families. They were able to carry on living on the local housing estate.

IMO at six you have an awareness of right/wrong, but no great grasp of how heinous what they were doing was, is that something you'd appreciate by 10?

More info here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/corr...dent/803151.stm

Far superior atitude.

We're basically savages. :icon_lol:

There is reading the story not having your own kids and reading it having your own.

Ive now done both. when this happened I didnt have kids. I can recall thinking how shocking it was. But reading about it again and what happened to the bairn by the hands of these two and then imagining if that ever happened to my kids? Tell you what, well, I cant even put it into words.

Edited by JawD

There is reading the story not having your own kids and reading it having your own.

Ive now done both. when this happened I didnt have kids. I can recall thinking how shocking it was. But reading about it again and what happened to the bairn by the hands of these two and then imagining if that ever happened to my kids? Tell you what, well, I cant even put it into words.

precisely.

precisely.

Spot on that like, I'm about 2 months from my missus having ours and already I can tell you now that nothing and nobody would get any mercy from me if harm was brought to my child (or wife for that matter).

Just received a text saying Venables real name, where he lives, what he's accused of in warrington etc etc asking me to pass it on.

Im not going too. Scary stuff if its a wind up like.

Its obviously whizzing round the country.

Just received a text saying Venables real name, where he lives, what he's accused of in warrington etc etc asking me to pass it on.

Im not going too. Scary stuff if its a wind up like.

Its obviously whizzing round the country.

Not KD then?