NUFC Pictures - from days of old.

Craig

1 minute ago, thebrokendoll said:

noise was fucking deafening, before, during and after.

fucking incredible.   :)

It comes across fantastic on that match of the day full match coverage,  you can fast forward to literally any time during the match and all you can hear is Newcastle fans singing.

John Motson mentions our support many times. I also remember getting the local paper The Liverpool Echo with front page headlines "Geordie Invasion" I wish i kept it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

It comes across fantastic on that match of the day full match coverage,  you can fast forward to literally any time during the match and all you can hear is Newcastle fans singing.

John Motson mentions our support many times. I also remember getting the local paper The Liverpool Echo with front page headlines "Geordie Invasion" I wish i kept it.

aye. 83/84 is probably my favourite ever season. wasn't just the promotion and the fact we actually played some fantastic football. but the size of the away following was incredible, we literally took over so many grounds that season. 

it's quite sad really that because of the relatively small away allocations at grounds these days that the younger generations are unlikely to get the opportunity to witness it with the consistency we did that season.

• Like 3

My Dad took me to this game when I was a nipper.  Sixpence in old currency for the programme and I do remember a vendor who wandered along the touch line shouting 'peanuts, tanner a bag'.

2-0 to the Toon (Iley, Penman) which confirmed our promotion from the old Div.2.

20240914_151619-COLLAGE.jpg

• Like 6

On 14/09/2024 at 12:26, thebrokendoll said:

aye. 83/84 is probably my favourite ever season. wasn't just the promotion and the fact we actually played some fantastic football. but the size of the away following was incredible, we literally took over so many grounds that season. 

it's quite sad really that because of the relatively small away allocations at grounds these days that the younger generations are unlikely to get the opportunity to witness it with the consistency we did that season.

amazing going away in the 80s , tottenham in the fa cup 87 i think was the biggest away following i was ever in and the bloody scariest! some great days that you could never get now and you just turned up and paid at the gate!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, john said:

Great photo. that looks a lot like the time i started going to home games, was it early 80s ?

Well the fences went down after April '89, the benches look pretty new and the executive boxes went up mid 80s iirc so I'd go 86/87 on that particular picture? :D

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Is that the Trent?

The Leazes Tavern was on the corner of Leazes Lane and Crescent Place, Leazes Mews is now built on that site.  ( the photo i posted was from 1964)

I've had a bit of an internet search and I found it was very near to where the Trent House is now.

Someone also wrote this about it...

"The Leazes Tavern may have been part of Richard Grainger's developments in that area, it was offered to let in October 1843 and particulars of the property could be had from his office on Clayton Street. It had been in the occupation of George Nelson, "in which an excellent trade has been carried out for a number of years".

The earliest reference I can find to it is in June 1830, when a house was offered to let in Leazes Crescent, with applicants invited to contact Mr Thompson at the Leazes Tavern. In June 1835 the pub was also offered to let by the Sun Brewery, Quayside, and again by them in 1840.

According to trade directories, it was owned or run by Joseph Thompson at 29 Leazes Crescent in 1833, and in Whites directory of 1847 there's a Leazes Tavern at that address run by Alice Robertson. The address given in Wards of 1865 is "2 Crescent Place, and 29 Leazes Lane", and Kelly's of 1883 gives the same address. Wards of 1898 has it at 29 Leazes Crescent."

Edited by Tdansmith
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, john said:

amazing going away in the 80s , tottenham in the fa cup 87 i think was the biggest away following i was ever in and the bloody scariest! some great days that you could never get now and you just turned up and paid at the gate!

A very scary day that was.  The police should have learnt from that but they didn't.

EWjpV4ZX0AIi3Wh?format=png&name=medium

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Did TBD ever solve his advertising board obsession??

no. 

I spoke to me old man about it and told him about the '66 world cup final being the first time perimeter advertising appeared which he was surprised about as he would've guessed at earlier than that.

he did say that when he started going as a kid in the late '40s that it was the norm to take a peice of cardboard to sit on the wall at the front of the gallowgate to stop your arse freezing in the winter. there was no advertising hoardings in those days.

I appreciate this isn't much help.

14 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Well the fences went down after April '89, the benches look pretty new and the executive boxes went up mid 80s iirc so I'd go 86/87 on that particular picture? :D

The executive box windows used to mist up / condensation every game plus fans jumping on from seats above to retrieve ball landing on roof 

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

A very scary day that was.  The police should have learnt from that but they didn't.

at that game after the final whistle they opened up the gates to let our support out and it looked like kicking off immediately, so they shut the gates again with a few hundred of us already outside.

black gary from manchester launched a tottenham supporter and was seemingly quite happy to take on the rest of them by himself. bloke was as hard as fucking nails, he probably would've won.

long old walk up to seven sisters tube station dodging bottles being hoyed at us that day!  :lol:

Edited by thebrokendoll
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

at that game after the final whistle they opened up the gates to let our support out and it looked like kicking off immediately, so they shut the gates again with a few hundred of us already outside.

black gary from manchester launched a tottenham supporter and was seemingly quite happy to take on the rest of them by himself. bloke was as hard as fucking nails, he probably would've won.

long old walk up to seven sisters tube station dodging bottles being hoyed at us that day!  :lol:

Think I've spoken about this before - it was a pre-hillsborough - but as mentioned above no lessons were learned. 

Considering all the dodgy days on that road previously and without going all RTG, it was almost glorious to see them get a taste of their own medicine. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

There's advertising boards for Newcastle Exhibition. We were sponsored by Greenall's from the summer of 1986 so it must be before then, not by much though. I reckon it's 85/86

19 minutes ago, NJS said:

Think I've spoken about this before - it was a pre-hillsborough - but as mentioned above no lessons were learned. 

Considering all the dodgy days on that road previously and without going all RTG, it was almost glorious to see them get a taste of their own medicine. 

One of a number of near-misses in the 80s which were completely ignored. Hillsborough really was a disaster waiting to happen and was just a matter of time. 

It still angers me to my absolute core - nothing to do with the teams involved but just the wider conception of the football fan back then and by virtue we were in the stadium, we were all a 'problem'. What happened after those events for the next 20+ years only served to anger me more.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

One of a number of near-misses in the 80s which were completely ignored. Hillsborough really was a disaster waiting to happen and was just a matter of time. 

It still angers me to my absolute core - nothing to do with the teams involved but just the wider conception of the football fan back then and by virtue we were in the stadium, we were all a 'problem'. What happened after those events for the next 20+ years only served to anger me more.

It's just like Grenfell/Aberfan etc, etc - they didn't matter because the victims didn't matter. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Craig said:

There's advertising boards for Newcastle Exhibition. We were sponsored by Greenall's from the summer of 1986 so it must be before then, not by much though. I reckon it's 85/86

It could still be then TBF, a shirt sponsor doesn't and didn't mean NUFC couldn't take money from other competitors. I've seen LCL adverts around when S&N had us. 

19 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

It could still be then TBF, a shirt sponsor doesn't and didn't mean NUFC couldn't take money from other competitors. I've seen LCL adverts around when S&N had us. 

Agreed, but the main boards on the middle of the East Stand in 86/87 were flooded with Greenalls rather than S&N. 

On 17/09/2024 at 12:18, Tdansmith said:

That first photo brings back some memories mate. i remember lifting my 9 year old sister over the fencing and getting over it too and they put us in the side corner with the Spurs fans, total mayhem.

• Like 1