Losing 500k a week apparently.

Park Life

And almost as if it was planned...:

Hughton Thanks Ashley for Cash

(Sorry if already been posted in some form)

"planning".......... :):)

according to wankers like Renton and Baggio a few years ago, this was the key to a golden future the likes of which Fat Fred and the Halls had never delivered

You could not make it up if you tried.

:blush:

Talking bollocks and comparing me to Baggio now, nice one :lol:. All I said was it would have made sense to plan for Robson's replacement, rather than sack him 5 games into a season with the transfer window shut and no replacement, hence ending up with Souness.

See, this is an area I have mentioned before, at the time, and was roundly condemned by clever dicks like you, but I was and still am correct, when you harped on about this "planning" business. The ONLY thing that matter is getting a manager who gets results ie knows what he is doing. Did you say the same thing when Gullit was replaced by Sir Bob a handful of games into the season ie "bad planning"

You spout complete bollocks as usual Renton.

i think renton's post is spot on tbh. don't sack a gem of a manager like robson when there isn't a better alternative.

i think even as fat fred's biggest fan, you would admit that he got that one wrong. souness replacing sbr for me marked the beginning of our current plight. excacerbated by the fact that fat fred backed him to the hilt.

hmmm.....well, I remember - at the time - the team being booed for finishing 5th in the league and a growing feeling that Sir Bob was starting to get things wrong and needed replaced. Still, I expect some people will try and deny this is true.

His point is about timing and "planning", not the quality of the manager. MY point is about the quality of the manager, there is no "bad time" to get a quality manager.

These are the memories I have of his last season. In particular he seemed to "forget" about being able to use substitutes and as such they were always in the last 10 minutes.

Didnt only 5,000 or so stay for the lap of honour that year which really pissed SBR off.

correct. Why do people disregard this. Were they not there or something, or just have a selective memory ?

You're spot on about the fans...they influenced a weak and foolish man (in this case) who, seeing as he was drawing a 6 figure sum from the club every season in a salary may have been expected to see a bigger picture.... For me Shep thought he knew more about football than Sir Bob on this issue which is patent bollocks. Why not back the man who had delivered for him in the previous two seasons? Why not back the man and be stronger than the rabble? Theres a significant minority of Arsenal fans who want rid of Wenger...do you think the Arsenal board are going to be weak enough to sack him?

Shep shot the goose who'd been laying golden eggs for him....and in doing so he laid the foundations for his own downfall at the club....but it has to be said Sir Bob was dreadfully let down by the fans as well.

the continued insistence that such decisions were/are made completely by people with less than 30% of shares totally on their own, ruins observations like this.

Fact is, at the time, the majority were starting to think Sir Bob needed replacing. If we think so, why not the people in the boardroom too ? The bit in bold is speculative nonsense, just the sort of usual "any stick will do" comment.

Sir Bob was let down by the fans too. Those 5000 who booed the players, totally sickened me, it was absolutely shameful.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

according to wankers like Renton and Baggio a few years ago, this was the key to a golden future the likes of which Fat Fred and the Halls had never delivered

Talking bollocks and comparing me to Baggio now, nice one :lol:. All I said was it would have made sense to plan for Robson's replacement, rather than sack him 5 games into a season with the transfer window shut and no replacement, hence ending up with Souness.

See, this is an area I have mentioned before, at the time, and was roundly condemned by clever dicks like you, but I was and still am correct, when you harped on about this "planning" business. The ONLY thing that matter is getting a manager who gets results ie knows what he is doing. Did you say the same thing when Gullit was replaced by Sir Bob a handful of games into the season ie "bad planning"

i think renton's post is spot on tbh. don't sack a gem of a manager like robson when there isn't a better alternative.

i think even as fat fred's biggest fan, you would admit that he got that one wrong. souness replacing sbr for me marked the beginning of our current plight. excacerbated by the fact that fat fred backed him to the hilt.

hmmm.....well, I remember - at the time - the team being booed for finishing 5th in the league and a growing feeling that Sir Bob was starting to get things wrong and needed replaced. Still, I expect some people will try and deny this is true.

His point is about timing and "planning", not the quality of the manager. MY point is about the quality of the manager, there is no "bad time" to get a quality manager.

These are the memories I have of his last season. In particular he seemed to "forget" about being able to use substitutes and as such they were always in the last 10 minutes.

Didnt only 5,000 or so stay for the lap of honour that year which really pissed SBR off.

correct. Why do people disregard this. Were they not there or something, or just have a selective memory ?

You're spot on about the fans...they influenced a weak and foolish man (in this case) who, seeing as he was drawing a 6 figure sum from the club every season in a salary may have been expected to see a bigger picture....For me Shep thought he knew more about football than Sir Bob on this issue which is patent bollocks. Why not back the man who had delivered for him in the previous two seasons? Why not back the man and be stronger than the rabble? Theres a significant minority of Arsenal fans who want rid of Wenger...do you think the Arsenal board are going to be weak enough to sack him?

Shep shot the goose who'd been laying golden eggs for him....and in doing so he laid the foundations for his own downfall at the club....but it has to be said Sir Bob was dreadfully let down by the fans as well.

Bottom line was he probably was too old for the job, just. I think a bit of dementia had started to set in and its a shame he could not have retired upstairs with some dignity.

He could have done with a really strong no 2 in that last season who could have handled the dressing room rabble and nudged him come time for a substitution.

Just a shame we didnt get him earlier.

Dont know if this has already being posted.

Simon Bird

Is Mike Ashley finally listening and making sensible decisions?

One wage bill I’ve no problem with Mick Ashley slashing is Newcastle’s - and he’s certainly done that this season trimming £40 million from the accounts, yet still the Geordies are top of the table.

After the last two years on Tyneside I am still loathe to say much good about Ashley. He’s got a long long way to go before the damage he’s done is repaired, broken bonds are restored and respect is regained.

But it appears a solid job has been made of the transfer window, albeit from our low expectations.

He has backed Chris Hughton, made sensible signings which undoubtedly leave the squad stronger than on January 1, and he’s not over committed the club, signing young players, or doing business on loan.

Gone are the days when Newcastle blundered into transfer negotiations throwing around £3 million a year contracts as the norm, and blew rivals out of the water with massive cash bids.

Ashley made those mistakes in his first summer in charge when he allowed Sam Allardyce burn a fortune on the likes of Joey Barton, Alan Smith and David Rozenhal.

A bit of cunning is needed. Mike Williamson could prove a bargain buy in defence, Danny Simpson will do a job at right back, Wayne Routledge adds pace to the right wing. Leon Best’s three year contract is a surprise as we his arrival in a white Bentley, but I’m sure Kevin Nolan will knock any grand pretensions out of him.

Loan signing Patrick Van Aanholt could win a permanent deal and Fitz Hall is cover.

Newcastle refused to be mugged by Leeds for Jermaine Beckford (at 26 why wasn’t he already at a bigger club?) and wouldn’t pay Victor Moses his £1 million a year wage demands.

I only ask the question:

Is Ashley finally getting Newcastle on a solid financial footing ahead of promotion? Is he finally listening and making sensible decisions?

Indeed he is sir, indeed he is. :lol:

operating at a lower level..........

You're spot on about the fans...they influenced a weak and foolish man (in this case) who, seeing as he was drawing a 6 figure sum from the club every season in a salary may have been expected to see a bigger picture.... For me Shep thought he knew more about football than Sir Bob on this issue which is patent bollocks. Why not back the man who had delivered for him in the previous two seasons? Why not back the man and be stronger than the rabble? Theres a significant minority of Arsenal fans who want rid of Wenger...do you think the Arsenal board are going to be weak enough to sack him?

the continued insistence that such decisions were/are made completely by people with less than 30% of shares totally on their own, ruins observations like this.

Fact is, at the time, the majority were starting to think Sir Bob needed replacing. If we think so, why not the people in the boardroom too ? The bit in bold is speculative nonsense, just the sort of usual "any stick will do" comment.

Sir Bob was let down by the fans too. Those 5000 who booed the players, totally sickened me, it was absolutely shameful.

This wears a bit thin for me. If he wasnt being allowed to run the club as chairman he should have stepped down ala keegan

This wears a bit thin for me. If he wasnt being allowed to run the club as chairman he should have stepped down ala keegan

Don't be daft. The chairman is just the figurehead and spokesman for the board/shareholders.

OK..if you want to put it that way the fans influenced two weak and foolish men beause in Sir Bob's book he laid the blame fair and square at Dougie H and Shep....and for most of his time at the club he thought Shep acted unilaterally anyway:

Shep: "I'll put it to the board Bob"

SBR : "you ARE the board Fred"

So thats Sir Bobs version.....he went on to say that he never had a sit down meeting at any point in his time as manager at the club with Dougie H ...why do you think that was?

He talked to the press, which is what underminded the manager.

But BBC Sport understands that Robson was told back in May that his current deal will not be extended when it ends at the end of the current season .

Be blind to facts if you want.

When asked by the BBC,

'Robson reacted angrily to Shepherd's announcement that his contract would not be renewed, claiming he was unaware any such decision had been made' ... and said "I need a dialogue with the chairman"

When asked by the BBC, Shepherd confirmed

"We have no plans to extend that arrangement."

Sound like he was running his mouth off to me.

But BBC Sport understands that Robson was told back in May that his current deal will not be extended when it ends at the end of the current season .

how did the "BBC understand........" - do you think they were also running their mouth off too ?

Fact is, a rolling contract is precisely that. Any party can give 12 months notice at any time. I don't see your problem, if the manager was told first and then later was asked a question by the press about it.

When a journalist says "The BBC understands" it means they are about to say something they can't back up. More often than not its because its a rumour they've heard or are fabricating a storey.

My point is that sort of information should not be in the public domain as it would undermind the manager. When Freddie confirmed the storey it underminded SBR and certainly fuelled Dyer not playing.

So it seems your argument he backed the manager is flawed.

Why didn't Fred he run his famous mouth off about Dyers' behaviour!?

Are you familiar with the term lame duck?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lame_duck_(politics)

[orginal post]

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...st&p=717564

My point was Fatty One undermind SBR by telling the press. Note the BBC quote Freedy, which means it's true!

He talked to the press, which is what underminded the manager.

Be blind to facts if you want.

When asked by the BBC,

'Robson reacted angrily to Shepherd's announcement that his contract would not be renewed, claiming he was unaware any such decision had been made' ... and said "I need a dialogue with the chairman"

When asked by the BBC, Shepherd confirmed

"We have no plans to extend that arrangement."

Sound like he was running his mouth off to me.

how did the "BBC understand........" - do you think they were also running their mouth off too ?

Fact is, a rolling contract is precisely that. Any party can give 12 months notice at any time. I don't see your problem, if the manager was told first and then later was asked a question by the press about it.

When a journalist says "The BBC understands" it means they are about to say something they can't back up. More often than not its because its a rumour they've heard or are fabricating a storey.

My point is that sort of information should not be in the public domain as it would undermind the manager. When Freddie confirmed the storey it underminded SBR and certainly fuelled Dyer not playing.

So it seems your argument he backed the manager is flawed.

Why didn't Fred he run his famous mouth off about Dyers' behaviour!?

Are you familiar with the term lame duck?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lame_duck_(politics)

[orginal post]

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...st&p=717564

My point was Fatty One undermind SBR by telling the press. Note the BBC quote Freedy, which means it's true!

if he is asked a question, he can choose to reply, or not. Neither me nor you know for sure if the manager was previously aware of the situation, if he is, then answering the question is doing nothing wrong at all. Sir Bob, by signing a 12 month rolling contract, knew that this means either side can terminate with 12 months notice.

Your use of the term "Fatty one" tells me you are just another person prepared to find any stick to beat him with. Its a shame that you are yet another person, who after 3 years of Mike Ashley and the demise we have made, still doesn't appreciate how much better off we were with the old board than the current owner.

The way i see it is if we are to be "debt free" then we need a new owner to come in and pay 100mil (presuming that will be the price) + about 150mil that Ashley has pumped into us for running costs and debts....and then the new owner must just write that off and not be bothered about it. Not going to happen imo.

Unless of course that Anil Ambani or another money drenched middle eastern business man buys us.

if he is asked a question, he can choose to reply, or not. Neither me nor you know for sure if the manager was previously aware of the situation, if he is, then answering the question is doing nothing wrong at all. Sir Bob, by signing a 12 month rolling contract, knew that this means either side can terminate with 12 months notice.

That's where we differ.

That's where we differ.

you don't think he should answer questions posed by the press :lol:

That's where we differ.

Definately not. I'm surprised you don't make the connection between his comments and Dyers strop.

That's where we differ.

Definately not. I'm surprised you don't make the connection between his comments and Dyers strop.

Unfortunately for your point of view - which you are of course entitled to - if a journalist asks him a question, he is quite entitled to give an answer if he likes. If you think he should not speak to the press, I hope I don't find you posting and criticising Mike Ashley's reclusive stance, where we are informed of nothing at all from the club, and the little that does come out of it is viewed with mistrust because he is alienated from us supporters and created a situation whereby not many people now think he has any interests of the club at heart other than his own in the short term or making a personal profit before selling on.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...0&start=340[/url]

Edited by LeazesMag

Hughton watching finances as economic downturn hits home

Feb 27 2010 by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

AS the credit crunch belatedly claimed its first football victim yesterday, Newcastle United manager Chris Hughton has admitted he has to keep one eye on the Magpies’ finances while trying to steer them back into the Premier League.

Chester City were yesterday expelled from the Conference as the money problems which have dogged them for some time finally caught up. Meanwhile, Portsmouth were becoming the first team in Premier League history to enter administration.

They are by no means the only causes for concern, with this afternoon’s Championship hosts Watford another club in peril.

The casualties at both ends of the English pyramid were a stark reminder that even the Magpies – with the country’s fifth highest average attendances this season – are not immune to an economic downturn which has claimed businesses across the board. This week The Journal revealed owner Mike Ashley is subsidising weekly losses of £500,000 a week at St James’ Park.

While not kept completely in the picture about the precise state of Newcastle’s finances, Hughton remains conscious of them.

“We all have to be wary because there are more and more clubs being mentioned as each week goes past,” he said.

“It is a real sad, grave day when a club goes out of business. Whether that will be what it takes for everyone to take stock I don’t know but it’s troubled times with clubs in financial difficulties. There will be four or five big clubs who’ll be able to bring in the big players with financial clout but outside that everyone will have to live within their means.”

Even after a summer of cost-cutting, United have an unrealistically high wage bill for a Football League club. It did not stop them making six signings in the January transfer window. That was partly a reflection of Ashley’s understanding that his club need promotion to be viable, and perhaps also of Hughton’s realistic targets.

“I’m aware of some of the financial situations we have here, I know we have an incredibly large wage bill,” said Hughton. “What I did ask for in the window was support from upstairs and I was able to get that. They’ve been very good on that.”

Gates have held up remarkably well at St James’ this season (averaging just below 43,000) considering the lower standard of football and the hostility towards Ashley. But supporters have been noticeable by their absence at some grounds and Hughton is concerned.

“Some clubs will find it difficult to get out of the situation they find themselves in,” he acknowledged.

While Newcastle’s cuts have not gone deep enough to put them in Championship shape, they have been sufficiently savage to require major reinvestment if, as expected, they win promotion.

Hughton’s backroom team is a far cry from Sam Allardyce’s army of support staff. Typically, though, it is not an issue he is prepared to worry about prematurely. “My backroom staff is less than what we’ve had in previous times but it’s not such a consideration if we don’t get to where we want to get to our focus has to be to achieve something first,” he said.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...61634-25924981/