Hughton - NUFC's most sucessful manager ever

Rob W

Lol, stats can be made to say whatever is needed but they're not the be all and end all because there are outside influences and other contributing factors which can affect the final result. Anyone who thinks Hughton is anywhere near as good as Keegan is either a muppet or a wum.

It's like comparing chalk and cheese. I'm not sure how well Keegan would cope in the situation Hughton found himself in (i.e. no money and a squad in mental tatters).

Likewise, we'll probably never know what Hughton could do with all the money he wants and a Premier Division in which it was a damned sight easier to get results.

He'd have walked!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*makes mental note to resurrect this thread in December.

yes. File this in the "hold" pile.

Presumably, you and Pud will be :icon_lol: ing in the streets when we lose our first games then.... B)

Go fuck yourself, you're getting confused between realism and stupidy a la the basis of this thread.

Me, Leazes and just about everyone else on this board are realistic to know that come December that stat will be way below the 61% it is now and will most likely be heading southwards at a hefty rate.

If it isnt then I'll probably have a wank in Fenwicks window.

There'll be no jumping for joy however to be proven right on this one.

Presumably, you and Pud will be :icon_lol: ing in the streets when we lose our first games then.... B)

Go fuck yourself, you're getting confused between realism and stupidy a la the basis of this thread.

Me, Leazes and just about everyone else on this board are realistic to know that come December that stat will be way below the 61% it is now and will most likely be heading southwards at a hefty rate.

I used to get accused of this sort of shit on NO too. Like aye, Mike Ashley has really got us all jumping for joy since he bought the club.

Presumably, you and Pud will be :icon_lol: ing in the streets when we lose our first games then.... ;)

Tetchy little arsehole ain't ya! B)

I used to get accused of this sort of shit on NO too. Like aye, Mike Ashley has really got us all jumping for joy since he bought the club.

You may be right about Hughton it's not rocket science to assume he might not do as well as Keegan....but at the same time you're not making anything better for the club by constantly whinging on an internet message board either.

Presumably, you and Pud will be :icon_lol: ing in the streets when we lose our first games then.... ;)

You may be right about Hughton it's not rocket science to assume he might not do as well as Keegan....but at the same time you're not making anything better for the club by constantly whinging on an internet message board either.

Christ B)

Fucking hell LM hes got us banged to rights there. Might as well shut up shop now as the whole things pointless. What good are we doing in moaning about it eh? Best bet would be to look on the bright side and see this for what it is, a wankfest over the greatest ever Newcastle United manager. You can take your Keegan, Joe Harvey and Sir Bobby, god rest his soul and stick two fingers to the lot of them cos king Chris is here to show them how its done.

102 points in a pointless league and suddenly hes a worldbeater. Thats why Man U are monitoring the situation for the season after next although best not rush in there Chrissy boy cos the England job is surely on the cards after the World Cup.

Good job Mike will have it covered with a contract worthy of his fantastic achievements, none of them will be able to poach him eh? ;)

102 points is 102 points.

Honestly, you've lost your ability to think positively. If you think the glory days are going to come back by crying like babies on the internet then good luck.

Strawman arguments too btw. I never said Hughton was a worldbeater I said that he's very unlikely to repeat Keegan's achievements because BFM isn't going to act like the old board did. I always said they did some good things but they wasted a lot of money towards the end. What they did the first few years with Keegan and later Robson was fantastic. No argument from anyone with half a brain there.

102 points is a fantastic achievement, Hughton has done an excellent job and more than deserves to be sat in the seat come August nobody is denying that. To assume however that those of us who see the season for what it is ie a pointless season in a wothless league we never should have been in, will be dancing if when we start losing games is both a load of bollocks and a cunts trick frankly.

At the same time, to hold Hughton up as some kind of master tactician/ best manager we've ever had simply because of one good season is the ultimate in stupidity and a stain on the names I mentioned above. Hughton will never be fit to polish the boots of Sir Bob or Joe Harvey and can only dream of achieving half of what KK did, anyone with half a brain can see that. Thats not slagging CH off its merely pointing out facts and the stat is not valid until the playing fields have been levelled ie the end of Hughtons reign in the hotseat.

So, as I said earlier, lets pull the stat back out in December and see what percentage we're sitting on then eh?

102 points is a fantastic achievement, Hughton has done an excellent job and more than deserves to be sat in the seat come August nobody is denying that. To assume however that those of us who see the season for what it is ie a pointless season in a wothless league we never should have been in, will be dancing if when we start losing games is both a load of bollocks and a cunts trick frankly.

At the same time, to hold Hughton up as some kind of master tactician/ best manager we've ever had simply because of one good season is the ultimate in stupidity and a stain on the names I mentioned above. Hughton will never be fit to polish the boots of Sir Bob or Joe Harvey and can only dream of achieving half of what KK did, anyone with half a brain can see that. Thats not slagging CH off its merely pointing out facts and the stat is not valid until the playing fields have been levelled ie the end of Hughtons reign in the hotseat.

So, as I said earlier, lets pull the stat back out in December and see what percentage we're sitting on then eh?

If you can show me where I said anything close to that I'll buy you an ice cream. :icon_lol:

Thats not slagging CH off its merely pointing out facts and the stat is not valid until the playing fields have been levelled ie the end of Hughtons reign in the hotseat.

That's why I resurrected the thread tbh. We can now compare Keegan's only full season in the second division with Hughton's....and Hughton's done better.

It's comparing cheese with cheese.

Thats not slagging CH off its merely pointing out facts and the stat is not valid until the playing fields have been levelled ie the end of Hughtons reign in the hotseat.

That's why I resurrected the thread tbh. We can now compare Keegan's only full season in the second division with Hughton's....and Hughton's done better.

It's not really though, the circumstances each manager inherited prior to their first full seasons are completely different. However, that's just one of the problem with statistics.

It's not really though, the circumstances each manager inherited prior to their first full seasons are completely different. However, that's just one of the problem with statistics.

That's what I said earlier...

Obviously Hughton started with a squad that should have been good enough for the Premier League in the first place, and Keegan started with one that was heading for the third division. But by the same token, Hughton had to cope with actually being relegated and his squad being ripped apart, wheras Keegan wasn't relegated and was given cash to spend.

Hughton's seen as a young manager with lots to learn, but by his age Keegan had already managed England, so obviously, taking it all into account Keegan is head and shoulders above. That's why statistics aren't a problem. Overall they show how much better Keegan's record is.

Similarly, they don't lie that Hughton's won the second division better than Keegan did.

Similarly, they don't lie that Hughton's won the second division better than Keegan did.

Hughton's team won the league better than Keegan's team did. Again, it takes more than basic stats to prove which manager did better.

Finest matured Stilton vs. Dairylea Dunkers tbh.

Honestly, you've lost your ability to think positively. If you think the glory days are going to come back by crying like babies on the internet then good luck.

Strawman arguments too btw. I never said Hughton was a worldbeater I said that he's very unlikely to repeat Keegan's achievements because BFM isn't going to act like the old board did. I always said they did some good things but they wasted a lot of money towards the end. What they did the first few years with Keegan and later Robson was fantastic. No argument from anyone with half a brain there.

John Carver also has a 100% winning record as NUFC manager........pick the fuck out of that :o

John Carver also has a 100% winning record as NUFC manager........pick the fuck out of that :o

Clearly a better appointment than Shepherd's usual standard then!

Out of curiousity, and I apologize if this has been posted before (can't be bothered to go through all the different threads on this topic) but has anyone posted/come up with the Hughton's stats when he was caretaker during the last season in the prem? I seem to remember that he didn't do all that well and that was with a better calibre of players.

Out of curiousity, and I apologize if this has been posted before (can't be bothered to go through all the different threads on this topic) but has anyone posted/come up with the Hughton's stats when he was caretaker during the last season in the prem? I seem to remember that he didn't do all that well and that was with a better calibre of players.

Clicky

Clicky

Thank you, sir.

So combining the stats for Hughton and Hughton-Calderwood we have a record in the prem of

9GP 1W 2D 6L 5PTS

ouch...

Edited by AmericanMag

Clicky

Thank you, sir.

So combining the stats for Hughton and Hughton-Calderwood we have a record in the prem of

9GP 1W 2D 6L 5PTS

ouch...

0.55points per game. Would have placed us above Portsmouth :o

Keegan's record wasn't great in his second stint either though. 1.28 points per game.

48 over the season. Enough for 11th place like.

Not that I think those numbers have any value. Like I said in the thread linked, "Was Brian Clough as bad as his 7 games at Leeds United suggest?"

That's not to say a comparison isn't valid now like. Fair do's to compare them over a full season in the same league if you ask me.

Clearly a better appointment than Shepherd's usual standard then!

as i said earlier..........I can post some REAL and RELEVANT stats anytime you like........

• 8 months later...

Pardew's struggling like. Win ratio is 27.27%.

Take off the liverpool game and he's on 18%.

Lower than kinnear, souness, allardyce, keegan in his second stint.

Comparing like for like, hughton was on 33% for the season when he got sacked.