I've learned not to expect a lot from the BRITS

Ayatollah Hermione

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a few bits of it, had to keep going and doing other things as i found it too cringeworthy to enjoy.

From what I saw though...

Lady Gaga looks like a man.

Jonathan Ross needs to start acting his age.

JLS are an embarrassment and stand for everything I loathe about 'pop music' as a whole

Liam Gallagher is a twat.

thats about it!

But Robbie Williams for the lifetime achievement award? ;)

Not a fan of Robbie Williams at all but I'm not able to get my head round why you have such issue with this. He doesn't play an instrument nor, I'm led to believe, is he a particularly great song-writer But what he lacks there he does make up for in terms of being a lyricist and his performances.

Almost every single track in that medley he performed last night were instantly recognisable. Given that and that he's been at the fore-front of pop music for 18-20 years and it's not surprising that they've given him the award.

His music might not be your cup of tea - it's definitely not mine but you can't deny what he's achieved. To put it in context, this is some of the previous recipients of the award:

2009 - Pet Shop Boys

2005 - Bob Geldof

2004 - Duran Duran

2002 - Sting

2000 - Spice Girls

1999 - Eurythmics

1986 - Wham

Are any of that lot more deserving than Robbie Williams? Band Aid / Live Aid aside, I fail to see what Geldof's 'outstanding

contribution to music' is.

At least those lot have contributed to music across the globe, in particular the U.S. I wonder how many folk in the states know who Williams is.

For my money, a lifetime award (whatever it's called) should be to musicians/singers who haven't received much acknowledgement for their contribution to world music over a long period of time. The Brits, yes, but a recognition for what British musicians have given the world. Williams is what, 30-ish? There must be musicians of 50 to 60 who have done far more for world music than him.

And he's a knobheed.

The spice fucks have contributed fucking nothing to anything they should all be fucking shot for being fuckless arseholes. Other than that you are pretty spot on.

Am I allowed to swear or will I get into terouble from our sponsors?

Not a fan of Robbie Williams at all but I'm not able to get my head round why you have such issue with this. He doesn't play an instrument nor, I'm led to believe, is he a particularly great song-writer But what he lacks there he does make up for in terms of being a lyricist and his performances.

Almost every single track in that medley he performed last night were instantly recognisable. Given that and that he's been at the fore-front of pop music for 18-20 years and it's not surprising that they've given him the award.

His music might not be your cup of tea - it's definitely not mine but you can't deny what he's achieved. To put it in context, this is some of the previous recipients of the award:

2009 - Pet Shop Boys

2005 - Bob Geldof

2004 - Duran Duran

2002 - Sting

2000 - Spice Girls

1999 - Eurythmics

1986 - Wham

Are any of that lot more deserving than Robbie Williams? Band Aid / Live Aid aside, I fail to see what Geldof's 'outstanding

At least those lot have contributed to music across the globe, in particular the U.S. I wonder how many folk in the states know who Williams is.

For my money, a lifetime award (whatever it's called) should be to musicians/singers who haven't received much acknowledgement for their contribution to world music over a long period of time. The Brits, yes, but a recognition for what British musicians have given the world. Williams is what, 30-ish? There must be musicians of 50 to 60 who have done far more for world music than him.

And he's a knobheed.

The spice fucks have contributed fucking nothing to anything they should all be fucking shot for being fuckless arseholes. Other than that you are pretty spot on.

Am I allowed to swear or will I get into terouble from our sponsors?

No, the name Spice Fucks is the internationally approved name for the 'group'. Regardless of the fact their 'music' was repugnant, they did have an influence on 'music' across the globe.

Liam Gallagher has responded in characteristic style to Peter Kay calling him a “knobhead” at last night's BRIT Awards last night.

Writing on his Twitter account (liamgallagher), Liam said:

“Listen up fat fuck as a real northerner I was brought up 2 say shit 2 people's faces not behind their back. Live forever LG”.

Over to you, Peter Kay...

Liam responds to Peter Kay's face. By Tweeting two days later.

Liam Gallagher has responded in characteristic style to Peter Kay calling him a “knobhead” at last night's BRIT Awards last night.

Writing on his Twitter account (liamgallagher), Liam said:

“Listen up fat fuck as a real northerner I was brought up 2 say shit 2 people's faces not behind their back. Live forever LG”.

Over to you, Peter Kay...

Liam responds to Peter Kay's face. By Tweeting two days later.

;)

Particularly ironic given his long history of using interviews to slag off other people like Blur, Robbie Williams, 'our kid' and all the others.

Edited by Happy Face

2009 - Pet Shop Boys

2005 - Bob Geldof

2004 - Duran Duran

2002 - Sting

2000 - Spice Girls

1999 - Eurythmics

1986 - Wham

And he's a knobheed.

He was pretty big over here in the late 90's/ early 2000's. I'm not into pop music much at all, but I definitely know who he is. He was big around the time that pop was starting it's resurgence with Britney, Christina, and them having their biggest success.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Lady Gaga is a man as well. I was at a party with my wife at one of her friends and saw Gaga perform "Paparazzi" on some MTV awards show. It was the one where she goes over and hammers on a piano for a bit, then gets up with blood pumping out of the front of her outfit. Since then, I've been convinced.

Here's my thing- girl performers don't do that kind of shit.

Say what you want about tucking it in or the man face or that nearly all of her tracks are sung in a falsetto on the high parts or whatever, but I'm telling you, that whole martyring yourself in front of your fans isn't a female thing. That's totally something a guy would do- the whole, "I'd die for my art" vibe. Girl pop singers don't do that kind of thing- they want their audience to want them sexually, they don't want to die for them.

I suppose one could make the debate that Gaga is breaking new ground for female performers and all that, but let's be honest- we're talking about pop music here. People don't generally try to advance the formula when it comes to pop music. If she made industrial or something, maybe, but if you're still on the fence about this Lady Gaga being a man thing (and please understand, it doesn't matter to me either way- she/ he makes some decent pop music, I could care less what she/ he has between her legs), watch several of her live performances and ask yourself this-

Is what I just saw indicative of a female performer or gay male performer?

So why the charade? Simple- because the global pop audience is going to be way more accepting of a guy who protrays himself as a female pop singer than a gay male one, but she/ he still gets to make the music she/ he wants to make and puts on the live show that she/ he wants to put on. She/ he doesn't have to comprimise his/ her art, he/ she just comprimises him/ her self. Which actually is kinda sad, frankly.

with regards lady gaga there cid

what a load of shit

shes being told what to do, plain and simple, how much choice do you think shes given when it comes to her performances/songs?

2009 - Pet Shop Boys

2005 - Bob Geldof

2004 - Duran Duran

2002 - Sting

2000 - Spice Girls

1999 - Eurythmics

1986 - Wham

And he's a knobheed.

He was pretty big over here in the late 90's/ early 2000's. I'm not into pop music much at all, but I definitely know who he is. He was big around the time that pop was starting it's resurgence with Britney, Christina, and them having their biggest success.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Lady Gaga is a man as well. I was at a party with my wife at one of her friends and saw Gaga perform "Paparazzi" on some MTV awards show. It was the one where she goes over and hammers on a piano for a bit, then gets up with blood pumping out of the front of her outfit. Since then, I've been convinced.

Here's my thing- girl performers don't do that kind of shit.

Say what you want about tucking it in or the man face or that nearly all of her tracks are sung in a falsetto on the high parts or whatever, but I'm telling you, that whole martyring yourself in front of your fans isn't a female thing. That's totally something a guy would do- the whole, "I'd die for my art" vibe. Girl pop singers don't do that kind of thing- they want their audience to want them sexually, they don't want to die for them.

I suppose one could make the debate that Gaga is breaking new ground for female performers and all that, but let's be honest- we're talking about pop music here. People don't generally try to advance the formula when it comes to pop music. If she made industrial or something, maybe, but if you're still on the fence about this Lady Gaga being a man thing (and please understand, it doesn't matter to me either way- she/ he makes some decent pop music, I could care less what she/ he has between her legs), watch several of her live performances and ask yourself this-

Is what I just saw indicative of a female performer or gay male performer?

So why the charade? Simple- because the global pop audience is going to be way more accepting of a guy who protrays himself as a female pop singer than a gay male one, but she/ he still gets to make the music she/ he wants to make and puts on the live show that she/ he wants to put on. She/ he doesn't have to comprimise his/ her art, he/ she just comprimises him/ her self. Which actually is kinda sad, frankly.

What utter, utter nonsense.

with regards lady gaga there cid

what a load of shit

shes being told what to do, plain and simple, how much choice do you think shes given when it comes to her performances/songs?

I know nothing about her, tbh. Is she just a corporate stooge picked to wear the crown?