I've learned not to expect a lot from the BRITS

Ayatollah Hermione

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Williams' stuff was written by others in the main. Barlow first, then Chambers?

Basically he was a good performer during the nineties.

I thought Williams' stuff was written by others in the main. Barlow first, then Chambers?

Aye hence why I said his song-writing is supposedly dreadful. ;) All the decent stuff was written by Chambers apparently.

Aye hence why I said his song-writing is supposedly dreadful. ;) All the decent stuff was written by Chambers apparently.

It's just when you said he was a great lyricist and performer... I assumed by song writing you meant the melodies and by lyricist you meant the lyrics. :icon_lol:

It's just when you said he was a great lyricist and performer... I assumed by song writing you meant the melodies and by lyricist you meant the lyrics. :icon_lol:

Aye I did. Chambers wrote the songs / melodies, he wrote the lyrics.

Who he pretty much froze out when Chambers wouldn't sign a contract promising only to work with Williams and nobody else iirc. Must have been like a knife to his heart in recent years seeing Take That reform and take all the plaudits. Didn't he go into rehab the same day Gary Barlow and co won all those Brits a few years back? :icon_lol:

I thought Williams' stuff was written by others in the main.

I hate it when pop stars get stick for 'just' being singers.

You could say the same of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat 'King' Cole, Elvis Presley, Tony Bennet and a host of brilliant other SINGERS who only contributed a limited amount to their lyrics.

I'm not a fan of Williams at all, but he's clearly a great showman.

That said, watching him recently i think he has totally lost it. He looks like he's crying constantly. We all enjoy an emotional performance, but no-one wants to feel as uncomfortable as i do when watching what seems to be a fullblown mental breakdown broadcast to milllions as entertainment. He was a great showman because he had the audience in the palm of his hand. He still does the same old tricks to gee up the crowd, but seems to have lost control completely.

You could say the same of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat 'King' Cole, Elvis Presley, Tony Bennet and a host of brilliant other SINGERS who only contributed a limited amount to their lyrics.

That said, watching him recently i think he has totally lost it. He looks like he's crying constantly. We all enjoy an emotional performance, but no-one wants to feel as uncomfortable as i do when watching what seems to be a fullblown mental breakdown broadcast to milllions as entertainment. He was a great showman because he had the audience in the palm of his hand. He still does the same old tricks to gee up the crowd, but seems to have lost control completely.

He's into UFO's now.

But Robbie Williams for the lifetime achievement award? ;)

Not a fan of Robbie Williams at all but I'm not able to get my head round why you have such issue with this. He doesn't play an instrument nor, I'm led to believe, is he a particularly great song-writer But what he lacks there he does make up for in terms of being a lyricist and his performances.

Almost every single track in that medley he performed last night were instantly recognisable. Given that and that he's been at the fore-front of pop music for 18-20 years and it's not surprising that they've given him the award.

His music might not be your cup of tea - it's definitely not mine but you can't deny what he's achieved. To put it in context, this is some of the previous recipients of the award:

2009 - Pet Shop Boys

2005 - Bob Geldof

2004 - Duran Duran

2002 - Sting

2000 - Spice Girls

1999 - Eurythmics

1986 - Wham

Are any of that lot more deserving than Robbie Williams? Band Aid / Live Aid aside, I fail to see what Geldof's 'outstanding

contribution to music' is.

At least those lot have contributed to music across the globe, in particular the U.S. I wonder how many folk in the states know who Williams is.

For my money, a lifetime award (whatever it's called) should be to musicians/singers who haven't received much acknowledgement for their contribution to world music over a long period of time. The Brits, yes, but a recognition for what British musicians have given the world. Williams is what, 30-ish? There must be musicians of 50 to 60 who have done far more for world music than him.

And he's a knobheed.

It's a promotional prize far more than a recognition thing. Robbie could still sell a lot more records and by coincidence has a new album on the shelves....despite being more deserving, they're not going to give it to Ray Davies to help push his intimate choral Kinks covers tour.

He's into UFO's now.

So's Danny Dyer.

He's into UFO's now.

So's Danny Dyer.

Did you watch that one?

He's into UFO's now.

So's Danny Dyer.

Did you watch that one?

In his BacoFoil hat, tbh.

Aye. Fucking hilarious.

;)

I love his slightly edgy delivery.

The Joe Swash / Ghosts one was 'good' as well. Had some cahones for spending ages alone in the vaults in old Ebo like.

Aye. Fucking hilarious.

;)

I love his slightly edgy delivery.

The Joe Swash / Ghosts one was 'good' as well. Had some cahones for spending ages alone in the vaults in old Ebo like.

The scariest thing about that was having to stay in that bamps house. And not because of the 'ghosts' either.