Tooj

1 hour ago, thebrokendoll said:

I still think it's an absolute travesty keegan hasn't been honoured by the club in some way

nobody has deserved it more.

I don’t think that this is solely down to the club. Just looking at the latest away shirt ad the club and the involvement of the likes of Lee, Nobby, Daveed, the subtle reference to Sir Bobby, people at the club seem to be pretty aware of the importance to involve and honour toon legends

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

I don’t think that this is solely down to the club. Just looking at the latest away shirt ad the club and the involvement of the likes of Lee, Nobby, Daveed, the subtle reference to Sir Bobby, people at the club seem to be pretty aware of the importance to involve and honour toon legends

you may well be right. maybe keegan doesn't court any honour.

I do think though that his 'not in the brochure' protest is the single most transformative moment in the club's history, certainly in my lifetime. and while it's impossible to say what might or might not have happened since that time, I personally don't think we'd be where we are today without the way keegan began shaping nufc at the beginning of the 90s.

will never be beaten as the greatest nufc legend for me.  :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

I do totally agree. Keegan was my boyhood hero and I would never have got interested in Newcastle if not for him

Same but as a manager not a player. I was a new born when he was announced as a player, but that team of the 90s was special. I know the ad honours SBR, but really KKs team was more exciting than Bobs. 

"I’ve always wondered why Alan Shearer’s statue is outside stadium land,” she says. “That’s something that has to be changed, and it will be. And why is there such little recognition of Kevin Keegan there? Why is that?“

That‘s what Staveley said to Caulkin in an interview immediately after the takeover. I’m therefore pretty sure that the club came up with ideas. I vaguely remember Keegan being unsure wanting to get acknowledged because he failed to win a trophy. I think there was an interview with him where he said something along these lines and the advice Howe gathered from him.

Edited by Isegrim
  • Thanks 1

People talk about statues and all that, but I have my statue every time I come back here because of the way the people treat me, how nice they are to me and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

That’s what Keegan said last year.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’d met your Mam, though…

If that were true you’d know it was nothing to be bragging about :lol:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

I still think it's an absolute travesty keegan hasn't been honoured by the club in some way

nobody has deserved it more.

He doesn’t want it supposedly.

I still haven’t forgiven him for 74 anyway.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Isegrim said:

subtle reference to Sir Bobby

They could have at least panned out and had Mad Dog reading Keegan's autobiography, but that would be stretching credibility a bit (Tindall reading). 

The reason it's odd Keegan doesn't have a statue is cos Shearer does. Robson's is post humous as is Milburn's. Not usual to have a statue of a living person. 

14 minutes ago, Renton said:

. Not usual to have a statue of a living person. 

Glen Keeley was a living statue, on the fucking pitch.

• Haha 8

32 minutes ago, Renton said:

They could have at least panned out and had Mad Dog reading Keegan's autobiography, but that would be stretching credibility a bit (Tindall reading). 

The reason it's odd Keegan doesn't have a statue is cos Shearer does. Robson's is post humous as is Milburn's. Not usual to have a statue of a living person. 

I am not sure who paid for the various statues, but Shearer‘s wasn’t commissioned by the club then but the Shepherds and the City Council as much as I know with Fat Mike then refusing a place on the ground of the stadium. It got only moved there after the takeover.

As much as I love Keegan I think a statue would be too much but rather preferred a stand being named after him or similar. Or the training complex.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Isegrim said:

I am not sure who paid for the various statues, but Shearer‘s wasn’t commissioned by the club then but the Shepherds and the City Council as much as I know with Fat Mike then refusing a place on the ground of the stadium. It got only moved there after the takeover.

As much as I love Keegan I think a statue would be too much but rather preferred a stand being named after him or similar. Or the training complex.

Maybe a layby?

There was a rumour they offered to name a stand after him and he declined it. 

Agree with TBD's view that the 'not like it was in the brochure' comment was one of the most pivotal days in our history, but it largely goes unrecognised. So much MSM hails John Hall as the saviour of NUFC by bringing Keegan back - fuck that, Hall was shitting himself in front of the cameras that day, he knew if he couldn't persuade Keegan to stay on, he was finished. 

Trouble was, Keegan knew that also.

• Like 1