Valentine's Day

snakehips

Am I the only one here who didn't bother (not even a card)? I can't stand this commercial bullshit. When I get an e-mail from Screwfix advertising presents for him and her, I know it's gone too far.

So, what did you lovers buy, owt or nowt??

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Card and some flowers. :rolleyes:

Was trying to remember where the celebration came from. Wasnt it something to do with a pagan ritual of love that was hijacked by the church? I think like most things theres a few version Another being about the saint that had his head chopped off for doing secret weddings in Rome.

From Wiki;

"Lupercalia

Main article: Lupercalia

Though popular modern sources link unspecified Greco-Roman February holidays alleged to be devoted to fertility and love to St Valentine's Day, Professor Jack Oruch of the University of Kansas argued[19] that prior to Chaucer, no links between the Saints named Valentinus and romantic love existed. Earlier links as described above were focused on sacrifice rather than romantic love. In the ancient Athenian calendar the period between mid-January and mid-February was the month of Gamelion, dedicated to the sacred marriage of Zeus and Hera.

In Ancient Rome, Lupercalia, observed February 13 through 15, was an archaic rite connected to fertility. Lupercalia was a festival local to the city of Rome. The more general Festival of Juno Februa, meaning "Juno the purifier "or "the chaste Juno," was celebrated on February 13-14. Pope Gelasius I (492-496) abolished Lupercalia.

It is a common opinion that the Christian church may have decided to celebrate Valentine's feast day in the middle of February in an effort to Christianize celebrations of the pagan Lupercalia, and that a commemorative feast was established in 496 by Pope Gelasius I, of those "... whose names are justly reverenced among men, but whose acts are known only to God," among whom was Valentine, was set for the useful day. Alternatively, William M. Green argues that the Catholic Church could not abolish the deeply rooted Lupercalia festival, so the church set aside a day to honor the Virgin Mary.[20]"

Aye i agree its a commercial money spinner but so what?

Isnt the idea of it good?

I think its pretty cool having one day a year where you both go that little bit further to make someone feel special.

I say that little bit further because isnt showing it everyday more important.

Doing what we do every valentine's day. Exchange cards and then go out on a date. Got her some roses too.

She thinks val's day is shite like I do, but it's always good to have a great evening together. Today we're off to see a play and then a curry! :rolleyes:

Card, Flowers, Perfume and Wii Fit Plus... not that I'm saying she needs the last thing though <_<

But she does need the perfume? :rolleyes:

Considering that she dropped her half-full bottle on the bathroom floor and smashed it on Thursday, aye she does ;)

Am I the only one here who didn't bother (not even a card)? I can't stand this commercial bullshit. When I get an e-mail from Screwfix advertising presents for him and her, I know it's gone too far.

So, what did you lovers buy, owt or nowt??

Nowt.